Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking around at used 5th gen. preludes and some seem to have pretty high mileages. I was wondering how many miles you have on your car and if you have experienced any motor and tranny problems. Oh, and please state if you have a manual or SS tranny. Thank you! :)

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
35K....2000 SH...5spd....only problem i really had is the lag problem....got new plugs and wires went away for a bit but now its back...going to try and replace cap and rotor

other than that no problems

·
my cat's name is mittens
479 Posts
00 5sp 33k

no problems except for some idiot hitting my car when it was parked...but its all fixed

·
Zoom-Zoomin
1,461 Posts
I bought mine used, Certified Used. a '99 5spd. now on 64k miles. the only time she has been under the wrench is for PM or upgrades. When I was shopping around, I basicly tried all the area honda dealers to see what they had, plus looked online, ebay, etc... alot of the cars I saw on ebay were high miles. Plus there was only like two in my area, one was SS so that was out. I found my car after about a week, but I should have kept shopping around for a better deal.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
AzNPrNcS69 said:

Hehe...cool! Was it hard to find a car?

Haha...it took me 2 1/2 months to get my lude....i specifically wanted a red prelude preferably 5th gen and 5spd.....three days before i was to go to look at this 97 lude in god knows where i was driving around the area where my school is and what do you know in a Cadiallac/BMW dealer there she was....2000 SH...my baby...i looked at it....it was a 2000, 18,999 miles and in excellent condition...garage kept so the next day she was getting towed on a flat bed to my house....i payed about 5 grand more than what i was gonna pay for the other one but the other one had 100,xxx miles on it and i wanted something newer so it worked out for me:bigthumb:

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
'97 SH, 96,xxx miles, bought it w/ ~32k on it. No major mechanical problems whatsoever. Just scheduled maintenance.

The only things that I've had issues with is that it's one of the earlier '97's, so I've had all the little TSB & recall issues to deal with (shock knock, headliner tick, rear deck rattle, 5th gear grind, front lower ball-joint recall, finicky ATTS, etc.)

I've just started getting some very mild clutch chatter, so I expect to replace that in the next 10-20,000 miles.

Oh, and I do have the part-throttle hesitation problem. Looking to fix it this summer w/ a new TPS (ruled out just about everything else at this point), so we'll see if that does the trick.

If you get a used one, I'd suggest a 98+ model, and if it's got higher mileage, be sure you know what the status of it's timing belt/water pump/tensioner. Other than that, it's hard to go wrong . . . .

·
Registered
210 Posts
00 base 5 speed, 47k miles and the only problem has been the autotensioner and that was taken care of under warranty.

·
Registered
377 Posts
There's an Electron Blue Pearl Type SH at Goudy Honda for sale. It's used but dont' know why it's on the NEW car section.

19,800 miles. no real problems so far. just a sunroof rattle but dealer took care of it under warranty.

·
EEEWOK!!!!!
1,246 Posts
AzNPrNcS69 said:
Hm...how many of you bought your car used?
I bought mine used. It's a 97 SH and had 75,000 miles on it before I put the turbo on. I guess it doesn't count that it's broken now :)

The only problem I had as of 75,000 miles was the ignition recall.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
2kPreludeSH said:

dont you have an Accord coupe? why you wanna get a Prelude?
I have a 2001 sedan. :( I had to compromise with my mom because at the time I wanted an 95 Integra GSR and she didn't like Integras. She also didn't want to buy a used car, so the Accord was what we settled on. I paid for almost half the car, put the down payment and she is currently paying the rest because I moved away for college this year. The car will be my responsibility again in about a year and since I do, I want to trade it in for something that I want. I was 18 when I bought my car and I will be 21 soon. The car is under her name, though, so somehow I have to convince her to let me. I kinda want to do something of an even trade with my car, but I know that might be somewhat hard.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts