Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The guy at my local performace shop told me never to use Aromorall on my dash because it will cause cracking later on. My friends step dad also told me not to use it, and that there have even been lawsuits because of this. Has anyone heard anything like this? I like the finish I get from using Aromorall on my dash, but I don't want to use something that's going to make it crack. I tried Meguiar's Natural shine, didn't like the finish as much as the Armorall. What do you guys use on your dashes? I want mine to look nice and shiny! What should I use?!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I use Mothers. It's the same type of thing but is supposed to prevent cracking (I hope it does) Anyhow it's cool cuz it smells like bubblegum.

------------------
SlntSam

2000 Base, Sebring Silver
Member - Toronto Prelude Club

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Do stay away from Armor All. I've had a dash crack before from it. I use STP Son of a Gun, it's not quite as shiny and works very well. I used to use Simple Green, but I think that will eventually take off the paint (if you have the two tone interior).

I've heard for years that Baby Oil works good, but for the life of me I can't see an advantage to using it!

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I use 2001, so far it's been fine. I dont' really do it that much because my car stays pretty clean. I think the older cars where more prone to the cracking in the dash because of he materials used to make them. The alcohol in Armor-All just sped it along. However I stay away from Armor-All just in case

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you don't want it to shine, then try the Swiffet Sweeper clothes. I think that is the spelling. It attracts the dust, and makes your dash look like new. I don't use any cleaners, because I don't like the shine they leave.

------------------
Life begins at 5,000RPM

·
Registered
474 Posts
Yeah, armorall will mess your dash up givin enough time.. I HATE to have my dash shiny becuase when it is sunny out all I can see is my dashboard reflected on my windsheild.. NO good.. I just wipe it down with a wet cloth and then dry it.. simple..

------------------
1994 VTEC
Eibach Pro-kit, KYB AGX shocks, AEM CAI, AEM pullies, Thermal exhaust.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
ok..what do you use for a cleaner?? Like what do you use to take off the old armor all??

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
good old wet soapy rag to clean your dash is all you need!

Neel

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Will Armor All make your rubber window frames on the outside crack too? Mine are cracking slightly, but I thought that was sun and rain damage, now I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I think it will dry out any and all rubber.. it is not really the CAUSE of the drying and cracking, but I think it acts more like a catalyst

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by a1andres:
I think it will dry out any and all rubber.. it is not really the CAUSE of the drying and cracking, but I think it acts more like a catalyst</font>
Crap, well what's good on outside rubber? This Meguiars stuff that was mentioned above? Back to Black? Lemon oil
?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Here is an answer straight from the trim shop I go to--remove old finish with a clean cloth and "denatured alcohol". Then with another clean cloth apply a very thin coating of PLEDGE-that's right Pledge--It works and will not cause cracking. I had a problem with my door panels and they now look like new.
I would find out what Honda recommends for the dash-but I am using nothing other than a leather conditioner called Lexol on the vinyl and leather parts of my car. Soapy water is an excellent cleaning agent and quite safe for most surfaces.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I personally use meguires vynil cleaner... It has UV protection, but on the cars I clean at work, I use aerosol window cleaner. It cleans it off, but doesnt leave a shine... same idea with the pledge.

·
Registered
825 Posts
i use Turtle Wax, its good. not as shiny as Armor All. Armor All is too shiny and too oily. and it also collects dust from the oil.

------------------
KQ
98 Pearl White SH
92 Baby Blue S (sold)
94 Red S (R.I.P.)

·
Registered
568 Posts
hmmm, I've been using armorall on my Civic for 6 years and I've had no problems. I've used a lot of it, too.
I actually used a silicon based spray before as well (it was tire dressing). I had to rub it out so it wasn't so shiny.
The interior is in great shape, except for some scratches.

------------------
-Adam
'91 Honda Civic & '00 5spd base Prelude

·
0_0
623 Posts
i heard armorall only cracks surfaces when you use it....and then stop using it for a long time. It dries it out or something. But if you are using it regularly...it will stay moisturized and not crack. Not sure tho.....i personally don;t use that stuff, can't stand the shine

1 - 20 of 36 Posts