Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here it is. I drive to work this morning, the car is perfect. On the way home when I was in slow traffic in 2nd gear, I go speed up slightly. So I'm only on really light throttle and the car is starts jerking/bouncing.

No CEL. It feels like someone opening and shutting the throttle but not quite as violent.

I'm thinking maybe the Throttle Position Sensor? causing the ECU to think that I've closed the throttle and on the overrun so it shuts the injectors? And the TPS being 'noisy' the injectors come on and off?

Has anybody had this problem.

On the rest of the drive home the car was fine except when picking up the throttle on the overrun, I noticed that its not as smooth a normal.

Power output is fine. Its not a hesitation like a misfire feels like fuel cut out.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
hmmm, mine was kinda doing that but i replaced my IAC and it was better. I dont think thats your problem tho. You might want to clean it out anyways, its just 2 12mm bolts on the TB. You should look into that tps and tell me if thats it, mine might be messed up also.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
mine does that also..once in a while tho...and only in 1st at ~2K and occasionally in 2nd at whatever RPM's it feels like...lol

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!! Well, on the way home today I tried to get it to happen again. Unfortunately, I succeeded.

I drove along in 2nd gear and lifted, then openned the throttle sharply. This caused the car to bounce as it accelerated. I think I can rule out the TPS at this stage. I'm pointing the finger at the fuel filter. Or maybe my intake mod. By blocking off the various pipes and stuff on the intake. I'm thinking that maybe those pipes are there for a reason, like the intake pulse of the engine and static air flow etc.

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
Next time bro try giving it a little more gas, and if your on 2nd gear pay attention at your speed, that also effects it if your going to slow for the gear of course the vehicle will jerk a little :)

·
Putt Putt...Vroom Vroom!
2,821 Posts
i've experienced that sort of effect also. Its very annoying; when it first occured i thought it was stalling or something, but that wasn't it of course. I've read that it might be the fuel filter :confused:

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
racinghonda said:
I drove along in 2nd gear and lifted, then openned the throttle sharply. This caused the car to bounce as it accelerated.
That just sounds like your basic driveline lash . . . . Which would be engine mounts.

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Daemione said:

That just sounds like your basic driveline lash . . . . Which would be engine mounts.
Yeah, I was thinking about that this morning actually. Well, my car is being serviced on thursday next week so I get the mechanic to check out the engine mounts. There is no clunk just that it feels bouncy. The car has 200,000kms (124,000miles) on it, how long are the mounts supposed to last?

The last time I replaced the fuel filter was 31,000 miles ago. Is it time to replace it?

Thanks for the input guys.

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok, just went on another test drive. I don't think its the fuel filter, as this problem occurs at all revs. It seems to be dependant on the amount of torque I ask the car to put out and how suddenly.

It seems not to be related to fuel supply or spark. Definetely not a misfire.

Could it be a bad engine mount? How long to engine mounts last?

I did a search on engine mounts but couldn't find anything to that described to me what worn engine mounts would feel like. Can somebody help?

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, changed the fuel filter. Didn't fix it :eek:

Its getting serviced now and my mechanic is checking it out. He said that if he hasn't found the cause of the problem after doing the standard process of elimination, then he'll put it on the chassis dyno which 9 times out of 10 will tell him what's wrong.

Damn! Its $200AUD for the 1st hour then $140AUD for the subsequent hours. He said they'll be able to measure the emmisions, throttle behavious, piston speed, transmission losses etc. Hopefully it doesn't come to this but I guess if it does then I'll get a nice print out with the power and torque output of my 13yr old lude :cool:

·
1995 VTi-R 5spd
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem Fixed! They didn't have to dyno it too :)

The mechanic reset the ECU and its been perfect after that :confused:

I don't get it, how can reseting the ECU fix such a problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts