Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyways, if you guys read my last post, you know I had my car in at the dealership to diagnose some noise coming from my motor. Well, they kept my car for 8 hours, test drove it twice, and charged me 50 bucks and all they told me was 'You have a noise coming from the timing belt area.' Ummm... isn't that what I came into the dearship knowing already? I want to know whats CAUSEING the noise!
Anyways, they couldn't tell me whats wrong excatly. They actually didn't have much of a clue of whats wrong. Told me I'd hafta get an entire engine tear down (200 bucks) for them to even begin diagnosing it. This was understandable, I guess, because sometimes things like this is hard to figure out (if its just a noise and nothing else.)

So anyways, I decided I didn't want to do the engine tear down (if it blew.. JDM HERE I COME!) so took my car back. No more than a block away from the dealership (about a 2 min drive) my clutch give out! What the heck?? It just snaped. Like the pressure plate gave out or something. Well, I was upset now. Stuck in the middle of the road in front of the Honda dealership. So I went back there, asked them to tow it back and fix it. I came in with a working clutch and expected to leave with a working clutch.

(The service guy I talked to about the noise from my motor even told me they took it out and drove it pretty hard to make sure everything was okay. He said everything seemed fine (except for the noise) and the mechanic who test drove it said everything was fine too. But what got my attention was the fact that he said they drove it hard! Man, I came in with a problem in the motor and they had to go drive it hard! His exact words were "We revved the hell out of that motor! Preludes are so much fun to drive."
DAMMIT!! grrr...)

But nope, they wouldnt take responsability. So, now I'm stuck with a noisy engine and no clutch! What a day!!

Anyways, my whole point to this post (besides venting) was to ask you guys where in San Francisco (or close by) is a good place to get an aftermarket performace clutch installed. The dealer wanted 800 bucks for parts and labor on a new clutch, but I thought I might as well upgrade to an ACT clutch or something since I have to replace it anyways.
So, can anyone recomend a good place to go to have this done?
Thanks for the info guys.

[This message has been edited by Cali Prelude (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
Unregistered User
4,287 Posts
Hey which honda did you go to? SF Honda or Serramonte? Man I'm never going back to honda again. I went to serramonte to have that oil retainer thing installed. Plus I needed to change one of my wheel studs because it was chewed up. I have RH C2 EVOs Anyways I left it there they messed up my rim put a lug nut that didn't fit. Then they scratched up my center cap which will not even go on anymore. I had to argue with them to replace it and they finally agreed but heres the thing its been 3-4 months an I don't see a center cap yet.

As for the clutch thing if you wanna drive a little farther theres a place in Hayward called Motorsports Techniques and I know they can do it. In frisco most of the import performance shops don't really have good mechanics or installs bays. I can only think of 2 other places you might consider ASP <- I'm kinda iffy about them, and Auto Plus they can probably do it too. Both in DC. Call em up and ask. Or why don't you go to a regular mechanic. One that is reliable and have him put it in?

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
You could try Mike Harvey Honda in Burlingame. I've taken my car there several times, and am always happy with the work done.

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
And I should also mention that Mike Harvey doesn't care if you car is modified, unlike some dealerships *cough* Honda of Oakland *cough*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts