Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
retired
7,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went to the gas station to check my tire pressure and i'm not sure if it was accurate or not. vwong recommended 40psi with my 225/35 tires and said that they were 40psi.
when i went to check the tires, they were at about 45. was the tire gauge at the gas station correct? or was vwong wrong?

------------------
AIM: SADWAP97
My Car

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
I wouldn't trust the ones at the gas stations. The last time I went, I was waiting for this lady with her Sentra to finish. Finally I offerred to help. "What pressures do you want?" I said. "38," she said. I check her pressures, they were OVER 60psi (max on my tire pressure gauge). Not good

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Agreed. NO! Even regular gauges form the store vary wildly from one to another and brand to brand. By all means, stay away from high-usage ones like that, and try to get a good quality "needle" gauge and not the stick-type.

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
Gas station guages are notoriously unreliable. I carry a needle guage in my car which is very precise, use the gas station airline then check the pressure with my guage and adjust accordingly.

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
Since we're talking tire pressure gauges... Does anyone know how much better the liquid ones are? They seem to be pretty costly, anywhere from $20-60. Worth it?

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Considering I have owned air pressure gauges that were about $80, I don't find $20-$60 to bee too awful much

------------------
"Are you sure that's a 4cyl?"

-Dave-

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
Ok, so were they worth it? What does it offer that makes it so expensive? Gold plating or something? j/k

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
ok, first of all i always use the tire pressure guage that goes witht the pump at my local cheveron station. i also have a very reliable digital one i keep in my trunk. whenever i go for a pump, it is usually very accurate with my digital one which i know is totally accurate. i dunno about u guys but the one at that station is just fine. u just gota make sure u press it quickly like 3-4 times before actually reading it. also, take into account ur tire pressure builds up easily after driving especially when hot. so check the pressure when in the morning before u do ur daily stuff...

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
POWER OF THE SS BABY!
SS= Super Snail!!
There i go...
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
retired
7,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
Agreed. NO! Even regular gauges form the store vary wildly from one to another and brand to brand. By all means, stay away from high-usage ones like that, and try to get a good quality "needle" gauge and not the stick-type. </font>
how much would a good quality "needle" guage run? yea, and what makes them good quality?

------------------
AIM: SADWAP97
My Car

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
As long as you don't get the ones that look like pens, I think you're ok

I'm wondering if the ones that cost more ($20+) are worthwhile though. Where's the point of diminishing return?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Get a racing type from Longacre Racing and feel the difference. The guarantee alone makes them worth the $40.
I check my tires cold-before leaving home. This is important as the temperature of the tire affects the pressure. Something to consider.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Aren't you supposed to measure tire pressure only when it's warm? I'm not really sure. Also couldn't the needle type gauge be affected by temperature, since many(i think) have a spring on the inside.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You can get good accurate digital gauges for $10-$20 with a lifetime guarantee. Spending more wouldn't be worth it for most mortals.

For regular driving, ALWAYS check the tire pressure COLD. For racing, check it HOT.

·
Registered
162 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 97SH:

For regular driving, ALWAYS check the tire pressure COLD. For racing, check it HOT.
</font>
Please explain? You're looking for max. pressure, yes? Max pressure would be achieved when the air is hot and expanding, not cold and contracting, right? Or am I just confused...

------------------
Martin Moran
Stock 2000 Prelude SH
Sebring Silver Metallic
"When you're caffineated, all is right with the world..."

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Just goto Autozone or Pepboys and get one of the dial air gauges with a bleed off valve and you will have a good and accurate gage. Never use the gas station gauge for nothing more as a very loose guestamate. I just had an experience when I needed a few pounds before an autox before I got teched and went to get some at a bp. I forgot my gauge so I had to use theirs and it said i had 44 and came back with 39, must have hit a huge pothole or something I dont remember....

------------------
If you only knew the power of the Lude...
'98 Red Base Prelude
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

[This message has been edited by Darth Luder (edited May 03, 2001).]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts