Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a MTX 400w amp, and i am thinking of getting another small amp to power the 6x9 alone and use the MTX to power the front component and rear speakers

i am browsing on ebay, found that Sony amps are relatively cheaper, quite a difference in price compare to the others ( i searched for MTX, Kicker, Rockford, Kenwood and Pioneer)

are they not as good compare to the others or are they just being undersold?

·
Shattered dreams...
534 Posts
I've never personally run one... but from what I've read on multiple audio forums, they generally are not that great and should be avoided. Running joke is "Why do you think they called them Xplod?"... makes me wonder why, I know that Sony's higher-end car audio gear from 5-6 years ago was actually pretty good. Guess they traded quality for mass-market pricing? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
there older ones are pretty good
kenwood and bazooka make good amps for the price

·
Registered
131 Posts
me either. i haven't heard of any reliability issues with them at all. they just sound cheap.

there's a reason you don't see equipment like that at car audio events -- even in the most inexpensive systems.

bazooka is good at one thing. cheap, easy to install bass. if you have a lease vehicle or a rental vehicle, or something that would warrant quick release of stereo equipment, then their bass tubes are the way to go.

although, i have heard decent things about the infinity bass links...

·
Registered
131 Posts
i forgot all about the original question...

as for sony amps...they aren't bad, either. My brother has one running in his 88 Accord LX-i. He used to have it matched to a sony sub, but it sounded like ass. He bought a JL 12W3 and the sound is pretty darn good.

sony amps will pound out the power, but don't expect crystal clear imaging from them. If you're just looking for cheap sub thumping power, go for it. unless you find a good deal on something better, of course.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
mouchyn said:
me either. i haven't heard of any reliability issues with them at all. they just sound cheap.

there's a reason you don't see equipment like that at car audio events -- even in the most inexpensive systems.

bazooka is good at one thing. cheap, easy to install bass. if you have a lease vehicle or a rental vehicle, or something that would warrant quick release of stereo equipment, then their bass tubes are the way to go.

although, i have heard decent things about the infinity bass links...
actually they're mono amps put out the power that they are rated at and sound good at doing it and they're subs even kick ass... If you haven't heard them lately you should you'll be amazed I was

1 - 8 of 8 Posts