Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Unregistered User
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking bout getting a new engine for my lude but it's hard to find one.. JDM engines are really easy to find but I don't know if they'll pass smog in Ca.. anyone know?

·
Registered
697 Posts
If it's the same engine as your stock one, that will be fine. thats what I heard from my friends....

------------------
-- No Tune, No Life --
Michael Li
-- 1997 Prelude 5spd--

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
below are some useful websites concerning replacement motors and other smog related equipment. legally you can only swap an engine that is the same year or newer as your vehicle (you didn't specify what year yours is)
then you go to your local Smog Ref and have them certify your car with new motor and they give you tags etc if your car passes.

http://ccr.oal.ca.gov

http://www.arb.ca.gov/html/lawsregs.htm

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/smogweb/default.asp

http://hybrid.honda-perf.org

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

·
Unregistered User
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 94 I was thinking of putting in a JDM h22a I know it has to be 94 or newer. I think it should be fine I just dunno how the jdms run compared to the usdm.

·
rotorless rotorite :(
1,652 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by spin_r_g:
I have a 94 I was thinking of putting in a JDM h22a I know it has to be 94 or newer. I think it should be fine I just dunno how the jdms run compared to the usdm.</font>
unless i'm mistaken JDM cars run 100+ octane gas and thats regular daily drivers. i dunno if its that high but its up there.

------------------
2001 EBP Prelude
Mods:
CF Altezza
AEM CAI
Tanabe G-Power Medallion
Ground Control Coilovers

·
Unregistered User
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked out some of those sites and none of them said anything about engines from oehter countries. Just said aslong as they are same year or newer and pass emmisions. I checked out ardperformance because they sell JDMs and they it won't pass smog they are intended for offroad use. I dunno, maybe it's just easier to try and find a usdm engine..

·
Registered
810 Posts
No one seems to know. I have a jdm h22, and I don't think my car will pass smog. I don't know, because I haven't had to do it yet, but I'm not sure how running 10.6:1 compression will affect emissions. Plus, the jdm ECU is different, so that may cause you to fail also. Get the jdm motor, it's much better. Then go find a new "buddy" who just happens to work at a smog shop. Make sure your "buddy's" hand is well lubricated with a couple of benjamins. If you want to go fast, you aren't going to pass visual inspection anyway (that's where most modded cars fail), so that's really your only option.

LLL

·
Registered
211 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LudesLudesLudes:
No one seems to know. I have a jdm h22, and I don't think my car will pass smog. I don't know, because I haven't had to do it yet, but I'm not sure how running 10.6:1 compression will affect emissions. Plus, the jdm ECU is different, so that may cause you to fail also. Get the jdm motor, it's much better. Then go find a new "buddy" who just happens to work at a smog shop. Make sure your "buddy's" hand is well lubricated with a couple of benjamins. If you want to go fast, you aren't going to pass visual inspection anyway (that's where most modded cars fail), so that's really your only option.

LLL
</font>
LLL, does the JDM h22a ecu have a fuel cut off or speed governer set really low, like low 100s...110ish or thereabouts? I have a 93JDM h22a motor that I have not installed yet...I have both a usdm and a jdm ecu...which is better to use?

------------------
//935 Wiked Draggers
San Diego, CA
http://www.935draggers.com

·
Registered
810 Posts
935DragLude:

Use the jdm ecu, especially if you have a later usdm ecu. No, the speed limiter is not set really low - I'm not sure what the top speed is though. I've gone past 125, so I don't think you'll have a problem with top speed. The jdm ecu usually gets better gains than the usdm ecu for any given mod, especially if you have an obd-2 or 3 usdm ecu.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Cali smog testing seems extreme. What type of things would make a car fail visual? Large exhaust? What if you put a huge exhaust on your Insight? Would it still fail b/c of exhaust size despite nearly -0- emissions coming out the tail pipe?
That doesn't seem to make sense... ultimately, it's what comes OUT of the tail pipe that matters so who cares if you have a cone filter, aftermarket headers, 3" exhaust. If it runs clean, it's clean.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Many things can make you fail visual inspection. A cat back exhaust won't necessarily get you failed, but things like a crankcase vent filter, header, intake, etc., will get you failed in california. It really depends on how anal the smog technician feels like being. Many of the smog places over here are pass or don't pay, so most places won't even actually smog your car if it even looks like it has a chance of not passing.

·
Registered
568 Posts
In Wisconsin, all they do is run the car on the dyno thing for a "cycle" designed to simulate city/highway driving. They hook up the tube to the exhaust and that's it. No underhood inspection or anything. Occasionaly, they'll take a mirror a check the exhaust pipes for leaks etc.
Some counties west of Milwaukee don't even smog test. Our Lude is going in soon for it's first test and I'm not worried.

------------------
-Adam
'91 Honda Civic & '00 5spd base Prelude

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mr Ludecrs:
In Wisconsin, all they do is run the car on the dyno thing for a "cycle" designed to simulate city/highway driving. They hook up the tube to the exhaust and that's it. No underhood inspection or anything. Occasionaly, they'll take a mirror a check the exhaust pipes for leaks etc.
Some counties west of Milwaukee don't even smog test. Our Lude is going in soon for it's first test and I'm not worried.

</font>
yup.. i just had my car tested 2 weeks ago... the guys was actually impressed by my car and asked how much it costs.. hehe..

yeah... i remember we don't need to bring the car to test station in Madison.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
damn california sucks guys...I was wondering the same thing with the smog with JDM motors...if I ever do swap in a VTEC, I'm not sure which way I'll do it, USDM or JDM. Prolly which ever way is cheaper

------------------
Got VTEC? I don't.
92 Prelude Si BONE stock
**[email protected] at LACR so 15.5 at Pomona**

HAIL CURRY! www.rubberburner.com

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LudesLudesLudes:
Go jdm - it's way the hell faster. The jdm motor has shorter gearing, higher compression, and an ecu that likes mods better. </font>
Are they that much faster? I have seen a JDM and a USDM both run at the same track, granted, conditions may have been different but the JDM ran a 15.2, and the USDM ran a 15.3. As far as mods go, the USDM had I/H/E from what I could tell, and the JDM (which my buddy owns) has I/H/E fuel reg. and street slicks. The USDM guy couldn't drive for SH*T, first run he ran a 17 something, and my buddy is a good driver. I think the cali. emissions crap evens it out.

P.S.
oopsie, I fergot, my buddy had his Si tranny on it, I assume the USDM guy had a VTEC tranny.

------------------
Got VTEC? I don't.
92 Prelude Si BONE stock
**[email protected] at LACR so 15.5 at Pomona**

HAIL CURRY! www.rubberburner.com

[This message has been edited by cantdrive55 (edited April 08, 2001).]

·
Registered
810 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cantdrive55:
I think the cali. emissions crap evens it out.

P.S.
oopsie, I fergot, my buddy had his Si tranny on it, I assume the USDM guy had a VTEC tranny.

</font>
That's exactly my point - the usdm h22 & ecu have to deal with all that emissions crap, so they lose horsepower. Also, putting an Si tranny on a H22 will make it a hell of a lot slower. Si gearing is longer than usdm vtec gearing which is longer than jdm vtec gearing. Also, jdm VTEC motors run 10.6:1 compression instead of the 10:1 usdm h22 motors run.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts