Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it easier/better to use the Field harness for the install or just splice into the ECU?? I will be doing the install myself and then taking it to get dynoed soon after. Is this a difficult install? I have done all of my installs myself (GC/koni, pulleys, strut bar, sway bar, intake, exhaust, header [this weekend]) and I want to do the VAFC myself too, but I don't know if I am getting in over my head.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
It should be about the same.......a little easier with the harness because you can do it on your kitchen table. Unless your kitchen table looks like 71dsp's dining room table.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It's not that hard, just be careful and take it slowly... I'd solder all the connections as well instead of using those connectors.

The field harness is nice to use, but it cost more then I was willing to spend.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I get the harness, how will I know what goes where? Are only certain wires from the harness used? Are there any instructions on the install using the harness? Where is the least expensive site to buy the VAFC and/or the harness?
Sorry so many questions--of all the installs, this one is rattling me the most because of the ECU/electronics involved.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just looked at the Helm website--what does the newer manual have in it for $4 more. I guess I can just get the older one since I have a 98 SH.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Just get the first one....if you get the second one that covers more years you're going to get a million people asking you to look up stuff because they don't have one. By getting the first you'll only be bothered by 97-98 people and not 97-01 people.

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's funny---I was thinking the same thing.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK--I ordered the shop manual. Now--If I use the Field harness, do I just follow the directions as if I were splicing into the ECU (but instead I am splicing into the Field harness), and then the field harness will plug right in to the ECU. I'm a little unclear whether this is the way it works or not.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuderChris:
OK--I ordered the shop manual. Now--If I use the Field harness, do I just follow the directions as if I were splicing into the ECU (but instead I am splicing into the Field harness), and then the field harness will plug right in to the ECU. I'm a little unclear whether this is the way it works or not.</font>
Correct but I'm going to tell you something right now....those harnesses are hard to get. You might get so impatient as to just hardwire it.

Good luck though.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
There are several advantages to the harness if you can get one...

1) Like they said, you can wire it up in the comfort of your living room and not have to worry about wiring while crawling around under your dash.

2) If you screw up the wiring, you can just unplug it and re-wire it without making a big mess of the factory harness and having your car down for a while.

3) You can easily unplug it should your car require warranty service where the installation of a piggy-back device might be an issue... It also leaves no trace of hacking on the factory wiring.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If you're a detailed perfectionist with good coordination and oodles of patience...just do the install without the harness. However, if you don't trust yourself, stress out easily, and have no patience or you have a back problem...use the harness. The install requires some experience with crimping/splicing/stripping/tapping wires cuz these are extremely small and extremely fragile. It also requires you to crawl down into that little space known as the passenger foot compartment, so if you're a big fella...go harness. The only thing you need to know from the helm manual is how to get to the ECM, that's it. Everything you need to know is on that AOL site that Marucci mentioned...and when you come to that part in the install, you do have a VTM wire.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.