Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently installed the AFC unit into my 98 prelude SH and I am having a couple of problems first there is a harsh kill it the acceleration @ about 6700 RPMs its like a governer or something what ever it is it does not sound or feel right. Second when my V-Tec used to kick in there was a noticeable increase in power and now ther is none its like not even having V-Tec. Can any one help?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Take it to a local shop or tuner. HAcve it tuned professionaly. What settings are you using??

------------------

www.importheart.com
Whos your DelTapywa?
I got these Jammies.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
if you check out some dyno plots with the vafc, the surge at the crossover is a lot "smoother..." you'll have more power at every point in the band, but there is no sudden jump in torque at the crossover.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
argh!!!

it's VTEC, not V-tec. thanks.

perhaps i'm a little cranky tonight.

[This message has been edited by imagepree (edited April 10, 2001).]

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
im sure some of us here with the vafc had symptoms of having the ATTS light on and engine light on. since this is another case of the same stuff, what did u guys do for diagnosis?

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
PERFORMANCE MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -UR pulleys SS (3 piece)
-Apexi V-AFC -Autometer A/F gauge -Autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit *no more performance mods will be added*
NON-PERFORMANCE:
-Panasonic CQ-DF800U
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
argh!!!

it's VTEC, not V-tec. thanks.

perhaps i'm a little cranky tonight.
B]</font>

people just say V-TEC becuase the "V" is seperate from the "TEC". you would say it "veetec". w/o the hyphen, people would think it would pronounced all together. can't really think of an example, but i think you get the idea.

·
Registered
838 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ng Luder:
im sure some of us here with the vafc had symptoms of having the ATTS light on and engine light on. since this is another case of the same stuff, what did u guys do for diagnosis?

</font>
I believe having the engine lights on is due to some lose wiring connections. That's about it.

------------------

------------------
Toronto PreLude Club

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sounds like your VTM wire (the blue one) isn't hooked up right. I'd recheck your connections on all the wires. You messed up somewhere.

Daniel

grnlude97

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Have Apexi updated the fitting instuctions yet? They did get it wrong twice!
If you haven't been to/don't know about, the old AOL site for the correct wiring instructions let me know and I'll find the address for you.

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by AzN-tRaNcE-bOy:
people just say V-TEC becuase the "V" is seperate from the "TEC". you would say it "veetec". w/o the hyphen, people would think it would pronounced all together. can't really think of an example, but i think you get the idea.</font>
Please explain how differently you could pronounce VTEC and V-TEC.....

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaoslude98:
I recently installed the AFC unit into my 98 prelude SH and I am having a couple of problems first there is a harsh kill it the acceleration @ about 6700 RPMs its like a governer or something what ever it is it does not sound or feel right. Second when my V-Tec used to kick in there was a noticeable increase in power and now ther is none its like not even having V-Tec. Can any one help?</font>
Your ECU almost sounds like it is in failure mode. If the ECU detects a problem, it lowers the fuel cutoff, which is what you are experiencing. Check everything on the VAFC, connections, wiring, settings, etc. Like Andrew said, Apexi had to do a few revisions before they got it right, so make sure yours is hooked up correctly.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Chaoslude98:
Second when my V-Tec used to kick in there was a noticeable increase in power and now ther is none its like not even having V-Tec. Can any one help?</font>
Chaos, this is -definately- the VTM wire. I have played with the V-AFC and been screwing around with my ECU and wiring so much on my car, I know what each wire does now.

Here is a link to the updated stuff. click here

------------------
Malken00
[email protected]

·
Registered
28 Posts
Billy is right. If you don't get the VTM connection correct, it'll put the ECU into "limp home" mode. When it does that, you can't rev as far before hitting the rev limiter, and you never get the VTEC cam. (I found this out the hard way because the FIELD unit also did not come with the correct installation instructions! Grr. Apparently, the Japanese cars hook up the VTM wire differently....)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vidgamer:
When it does that, you can't rev as far before hitting the rev limiter, and you never get the VTEC cam. </font>
Just how far is that? A lot or just a little?

I've been hitting the rev limiter at around 7450.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by andrewdelvard:
Just how far is that? A lot or just a little?

I've been hitting the rev limiter at around 7450.

</font>
Typically before the V-AFC unit I was hitting high cam @5200 and I never noticed a rev limiter maybe I never took it up that high. After the V-AFC did not hit the vtec and I hit the limiter @ around 6500-6700 RPM
Now that my V-AFC is properly installed I hit VTEC @4700 and I havent hit the limiter but its only been a day.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Damn...everyone's car is soooo shiny in their pics.

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber
FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims. Used for 2k miles. 600+shipping.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, it was about 6,500 for the cutoff in "limp home" mode. It's kinda hard to miss the performance lag followed by the premature cutoff! If I recall correctly, do that twice, and the check engine light comes on.

(Trying a new sig...)

------------------

·
is my chassis stil stiff?
1,720 Posts
Why does the VTM wire go into the V-AFC but not out again. Thus the other wire that was cut is just hanging there(the wire that was leaving the ECU). Is this normal?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yeah, Im havin the same problem, I have mad lagging until the VTEC kicks in. You think this is a problem with my wiring or just tuning. But Ive checked everything before and its all right...

------------------

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2.2VTEC:
Yeah, Im havin the same problem, I have mad lagging until the VTEC kicks in. You think this is a problem with my wiring or just tuning. But Ive checked everything before and its all right...

</font>
It may be right but your directions are wrong if you can belive it Apexi got it wrong twice. I didn't hook mine up my self but when I took it back one of the wires the direcions says to have connected you really should not have connected. I think the wire (Now don't quote me) is the corrected wire in the updated directions is accutally the one that should not be connected.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts