Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright, drop your cocks and grab your socks, the moment you've all been waiting for is here. I finally finished (well, sort of) the AFC install page and have it up:

http://www.ntpog.org/mods/fifth-afc/afc.shtml

Check it out. The "Programming" page will suck until I dyno tune. The rest should be all you need to get the thing installed. Since I've been so rushed (so many of you have been begging for this!!!) please check it out and email me if you find any errors. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
I could only browse through that since I'm at work right now and the bossman wouldn't like it if I was spending my time picking away at that but it looks good.

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited May 01, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
I could only browse through that since I'm at work right now and the bossman wouldn't like it if I was spending my time picking away at that but it looks good.

</font>
Thanks. That's OK, I wrote and published the whole damn thing at work. It's pretty sad that I can manage to do this, then read and surf the board all day, and still be productive. Maybe they don't give me enough to do?

Now what's really sad is that Billy has a TON of things to write up for the site and he hasn't yet

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Y'all bastiches who were all over me about gettingthis done better surface and thank me for it... I won't be buting my ass anymore to finish this kind of crap in the future if this is the thanks I get!!!

·
Registered
507 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Y'all bastiches who were all over me about gettingthis done better surface and thank me for it... I won't be buting my ass anymore to finish this kind of crap in the future if this is the thanks I get!!!</font>
HAHAHHAAHAHAHAhahhaah no love for you!!

Awe, Yes mighty one your generosity was greatly appreciated, what is my bidding, my master!!!!

Todd thanks, now i can finally hook up this Fields Vtec controller!!! If i have problems ill let you know!!!

We love you todd!!!

[This message has been edited by SensaiGen5 (edited May 01, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Marcucci, that looks awesome! especially the obd2 workaround. But oh man does that look technical, i would hate to screw up and this being my one and only vehicle i would really be screwed! But anyways thanks for devoting your time to help a bunch of strangers all in the name of prelude performance. You texas guys and all you other performance minded individuals should really be commended for all the advice/technical info you donate to this board.

[This message has been edited by Tony (edited May 01, 2001).]

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
Marcucci --

nice, nice, and niiiice. NTPOG shines thru as the best install site once again.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Damm u did a VERY VERY NICE WRITEUP Marcucci!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very detailed stuff man, excellent job!!!

I would love to follow ur instructions step-by-step to do my V-AFC, but I'm really worried I'll fuxx something up. But much props to u.

U NTPOG guys really know ur shiet!!!

BTW- Can I get ur boss' email address so he can give u a raise? HEHEHEHE
J/K

Again, excellent job!

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys
(gloating). This wasn't easy by any means (the install) but not as bad as I thought. DO be concerned about hacking up your car, but worst case, you just splice it back together the way it was and you're up and running again. The biggest thing is to get and be familiar with a soldering iron and some heat-shrink tubing. You want to be sure that the connections last, are electrically sound, and won't short against anything else.

This will probably not be my last NTPOG contribution, I'll likely keep doing this stuff for the S2k crowd and post any "Honda generic" stuff to NTPOG. I don't have any other stuff planned, though we do plan on porting some 3rd gen stuff from http://www.turbolude.com and I have a *few* articles that I still need to publish. I'll likely hand all that to my successor, though

Thanks again guys. I hated to have to beg for it, but it's good to know all this documentation goes to good use.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
UGH.....something happened and my reply got jacked so here we go again....
  1. I removed the side garnish when I started this install. Doing so will allow you to pull back more of the carpet and give you more room to work with down there.
  2. Be prepared to have to twist your body into positions that aren't too comfortable. If you currently have back pain it's going to stand a chance of getting worse.
  3. You 5th gen people use diagram WH-2.
  4. Regarding that ground wire......I used pin A9 NOT pin A10 like it said in the manual. There's an explanation for this here http://www.members.aol.com/ryoucold/prelude/apexi/apexi.htm I'm sure either would work though
  5. Be careful when trying to get the nuts off of the mounting plate that the ECU is mounted to. The edges are a bit sharp and you could give yourself some minor cuts.
  6. When pulling the plugs from the ECU DO NOT pull on the wires. ONLY pull on the plastic plug itself. My C and D connectors came out easily but my A connector was tight as hell.....just be patient if this is your case.
    [/list=a]

That's it. Todd did a good job. If you can get your hands on a pin extractor go for it. His installation is CLEAN. I expect no less from him after stating his profession though. Nice job man.

------------------
    AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
    Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Joon. I plan on getting the extractor and pin part numbers up on the page eventually. The problem is that you generally need an account with AMP/Tyco before they will sample you parts. The tool was also $30 if I remember. Honestly, if I knew just how simple the pin extraction was beforehand, I wouldn't have bought it.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99prelude:
So Joon did you just cut and solder the wires together?

Todd, can we still pull the pins out of the connector without the extractor kit?
</font>
You can, but there isn't much reason to unless you can crimp a new pin onto it- you'll still have to re-insert the pin. I wouldn't mess with it w/o the replacement contacts, I need to edit the writeup to reflect that.

The only reason I pulled the pins was to cut off the factory connector, then solder it to one of the AFC wires. I then took the AFC wire that went to the ECU and crimped an AMP pin onto the end. If you can't get the pins, there's no point- just cut and splice the stock wiring leaving the pin in the ECU.

The advantage to my method is one less splice and I keep the max amount of stock cable so when I convert back to stock, I crimp a new pin onto the factory wire and it looks just like stock.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99prelude:
So Joon did you just cut and solder the wires together?

Todd, can we still pull the pins out of the connector without the extractor kit?
</font>
Believe it or not I soldered nothing. I used wire taps for everything. The same ones I used to bypass the AFBS. Soldering is the better way to do it. We'll see how mine holds up. *crosses fingers*

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts