Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is about the wiring harness since I bought the car without a motor I do not have the parts readily available to just swap over onto my blue top, I have to figure it out on my own and purchase what I am missing to finish. When you completed your swap did your h22 wiring harness just connect or was there some modifying done to the harness? My harness only connects to the alternator, fuel injectors, and a plug on the transmission. What did you swap over? So far all I have done is the dizzy, added the PS Pump and A/C. I’m being told I need to swap over my Intake manifold what else is there?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Honestly I don't know what the "blue top" is though I could probably figure out what you need from some pics. Anyways, when I swapped in a Euro-R I used the usdm vtec solenoid, oil pump, timing belt gear, balancer belt gear ckp/tdc sensor, fuel rail, distributor and coil. Pretty much everything plugged into where it needed to go.

·
Registered
818 Posts
It's bolted to the usdm oil pump behind the timing and balancer belt gears.

Part #21. You're gonna need it if you're gonna use the USDM dist and coil.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly I don't know what the "blue top" is though I could probably figure out what you need from some pics. Anyways, when I swapped in a Euro-R I used the usdm vtec solenoid, oil pump, timing belt gear, balancer belt gear ckp/tdc sensor, fuel rail, distributor and coil. Pretty much everything plugged into where it needed to go.
ZRoEXzisTeNcE: Did you not install the 3 sensors into the crank?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Disregard in my effort to learn this Dizzy mod i forgot the 3 crank sensors are the ones inside of the JDM Dizzy. You said you have a dizzy with an external coil correct. How hard was it to swap over your ckp and tdc sensor? Also you did swap your balance shaft gears correct?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Disregard in my effort to learn this Dizzy mod i forgot the 3 crank sensors are the ones inside of the JDM Dizzy. You said you have a dizzy with an external coil correct. How hard was it to swap over your ckp and tdc sensor? Also you did swap your balance shaft gears correct?
The USDM 5th gen uses the dist with the ext coil. I just swapped that over. The CKP/TDC sensor bolts to the USDM oil pump (which is part #3 in the pic above). The only gears that I swapped over were the timing and balancer gears, the two that are on the crank shaft. You need the balancer gear because it works with the ckp/tdc sensor.

Wait... ZRoEXzisTeNcE, did you swap a h23 vtec into a prelude? Like this one http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30031?

If so please do share details. I am still considering that engine for a swap when my current one craps out.
No, I swapped in the Euro-R H22 red top. So it's possible that all this info could be irrelevent. I don't really know how much different the H23 is from the H22. If you're still using the 5th gen harness then you're still missing the 2 connections for the throttle body, the vtec solenoid, temp sensor, and one off the back of the block. This is off the top off my head though so there could be others I forgot.

I think it was on SCP that someone swapped a USDM H23 into their 5th gen. They might be able to help you out a little more.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
No, I swapped in the Euro-R H22 red top. So it's possible that all this info could be irrelevent. I don't really know how much different the H23 is from the H22. If you're still using the 5th gen harness then you're still missing the 2 connections for the throttle body, the vtec solenoid, temp sensor, and one off the back of the block. This is off the top off my head though so there could be others I forgot.

I think it was on SCP that someone swapped a USDM H23 into their 5th gen. They might be able to help you out a little more.
Damn...thought somebody that actually did the swap might have finally come forward...I will look into the Euro-R H22 since I know nothing about it though.

Also why would somebody swap a USDM h23 into a 5th gen? Unless it is a frankenstien build (I'm not considering doing that), then there is no vtec and less hp than a stock H22. Why would anybody want to do that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
H23A VTECH-there are 6 diff H23 engines: the H23, H23A, H23A1, H23A2, H23A3, and H23A VTech.

h23a vtech-Found in the Japanese 1998-2002 Accord Wagon SiR (CH9). It produces 200 PS (197 hp/147 kW) & 163 ft·lbf (221 N·m) and comes with a "blue top".
Found in the Japanese 1998-2002 Accord Wagon AWD (CL2). It produces 200 PS (197 hp/147 kW) & 163 ft·lbf (221 N·m) and comes with a "blue top".

·
Registered
1 Posts
swap

just did an h23a1 blue top swap into a 5th gen prelude, if you still need help with it let me know- scotty
Hi, I know this is a old post but I bought a 98 prelude with a jdm h23a swap in it but it’s not finished. And just wondering what ecu & distributor to use to get the motor running normal like it should . Any information would be awesome. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts