Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to replace these parts on my lude and I got the parts(from hondaautomotiveparts.com) and they are sitting in my room.

I am debating whether I should install em myself or get them done at a shop. I figure, I can save the money of paying someone to do it and get me a helm manual. Most places seem to want around $100 for both.

Oh, and my master cyl and slave still work, but the slave squeaks and the master cyl is leaking slightly. But after I bled/flushed the system, no more leaks..hmmmm. I know that once the master cyl starts leaking, it may go at anytime.

My question is,

1.how difficult is it to align and fit that round ball on the slave that fits on the lever actuated by a spring? I’ve heard that it’s a real PIA.

2.do you drain the system first of fluids beforehand to prevent spills? I’m assuming yes, but just need to confirm.

3.about the master cylinder…is it just a matter of taking it out(looks like that’s gona be a ***** to do as well cuz of the space confinements under there) and putting the new one in by refitting the lines on the new one?

Any other advice or suggestions?

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
1) Not bad at all- you just need to wedge the slave in place (if I remember, I swapped and bled my slave in all of 30 minutes).

2) Yes. Bleed like you normally would but don't add fluid, just let it run dry. You'll also want to have plenty of shop towels on hand as you can never get it all out (and brake fluid WILL eat the paint).

3)This is where you need the manual. I'm not sure if you need to adjust the pushrod at all; on most cars there is a pushrod adjustment as well as a pedal height adjustment. With Honda parts you shouldn't have to do anything, just be sure there is a hair of free play in the pedal before it works the clutch, you want to be sure that when the clutch pedal is out you aren't still pushing on the master (and in turn disengaging the clutch).

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
1) Not bad at all- you just need to wedge the slave in place (if I remember, I swapped and bled my slave in all of 30 minutes).

2) Yes. Bleed like you normally would but don't add fluid, just let it run dry. You'll also want to have plenty of shop towels on hand as you can never get it all out (and brake fluid WILL eat the paint).

3)This is where you need the manual. I'm not sure if you need to adjust the pushrod at all; on most cars there is a pushrod adjustment as well as a pedal height adjustment. With Honda parts you shouldn't have to do anything, just be sure there is a hair of free play in the pedal before it works the clutch, you want to be sure that when the clutch pedal is out you aren't still pushing on the master (and in turn disengaging the clutch).
</font>
todd,

thanks man..coming thru again..

so this wedging the slave, can you go into more this w/ more detail? i pretty much know how it works and the location and its surroundings, so you don't have to go into every detail, just how it's "wedged" in.

a friend had to use a crowbar..didn't sound right.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
436 Posts
Well now I've got some questions for you guys. On Suday I'm going to take off my and grease my slave cylinder to stop the squeaking. Is there anything you guys can tell me about it?

I thought it would be a relatively straight forward job, but now there is all this talk about aligning and bleeding and things being a PITA... I have a Helms manual and I thought I would just take it off, grease it, put it back in, and top off the fluid.

Can someone clue me in here as to what I am getting myself into?

Thanks
Brandon
NTPOG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts