Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
"PO Doc"
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added a sub yesterday, which sounds great, but i feel it is a little muffled. I also think the rear 6x9s are not doing much now since all the sound pressure from teh sub is preventing the 6x9 from moving at all. Will removing these rear speakers have any adverse effects? Will i notice a lack of rear fill, especially if I don't have any dsp systems?

Neel

·
Registered
188 Posts
i dont' know that removing your speakers will actually help much. bass is for the most part non-directional, i don't think that the sound will go to the point of least resistance, usually changing the position of the subwoofer can help, spend some time pointing the sub in different angles and listening to it, find one that works the best, usually start with the speaker facing towards the back end of the car(magnet facing towards the front) and work from there.

·
*yawn*
13,632 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Merlin1xx1:
i dont' know that removing your speakers will actually help much. bass is for the most part non-directional, i don't think that the sound will go to the point of least resistance, usually changing the position of the subwoofer can help, spend some time pointing the sub in different angles and listening to it, find one that works the best, usually start with the speaker facing towards the back end of the car(magnet facing towards the front) and work from there.</font>
Exactly what he said.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It depends on the size of the sub as well. A 15" sub has larger wave lengths than a 10" sub so outside the car if you have a 15", will be quite loud, but not too loud inside the car. Plus what amp are you using? Maybe it is a little underpowered for the size of the sub.

Hopefully I made sense...it is Friday you know.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Taking out the rear speakers will make them louder in the car. The lack of back speakers creates a port for the bass frequencies, bouncing around in the trunk, to escape. This creates the effect of having a bandpass box.

It is the same thing as letting down the back seat. When you do this the bass is louder.

[This message has been edited by rf7475 (edited April 07, 2001).]

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just read the rest of your post. You will lose a little of the rear fill, but that is all they are actually supposed to be there for. If the rest of your system is up to par, this won't affect you much.

Most SQ competitions are won with only the front speakers in the car. All of the imaging of the stereo is set up from your front speaker placement. The rear speakers are just for fill.

With the stock stereo system you will notice a huge difference if the rear speakers are removed. Which this is why I said if the rest of the stereo (front speakers, HU, amps) is good the rear speakers missing won't have a profound effect on the sound.

·
Registered
977 Posts
To make the subs felt and not heard, you will need a low crossover frequency. Usually around 50 is good for this.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Orginally posted by imagepree:
low frequencies from subs aren't meant to be heard; it should be felt. if you hear it, you'll either need a new amp or a better enclosure.</font>

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
hehe hope u dont grow deaf before youre 30s since bass is the worse possible sound for your ears
i honestly dont like that much bass, it just defeats the whole soul of music composition. i would never remove the rear speakers and end up hearind 90% bass and like 10% of everything else in a song.

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
PERFORMANCE MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -UR pulleys SS (3 piece)
-Apexi V-AFC -Autometer A/F gauge -Autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit *no more performance mods will be added*
NON-PERFORMANCE:
-Panasonic CQ-DF800U
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
Registered
977 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Orginally posted by Ng Luder:
hehe hope u dont grow deaf before youre 30s since bass is the worse possible sound for your ears i honestly dont like that much bass, it just defeats the whole soul of music composition. i would never remove the rear speakers and end up hearind 90% bass and like 10% of everything else in a song.
</font>
If the system is set up correctly, the bass will not overpower the rest of the sounds, it will flow into the songs just like it is supposed to.

Some people do turn the bass up too much and it does overpower the mids and highs, this is set for high SPL. When it is set for SQ, everything flows together nicely.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rf7475:
If the system is set up correctly, the bass will not overpower the rest of the sounds, it will flow into the songs just like it is supposed to.

Some people do turn the bass up too much and it does overpower the mids and highs, this is set for high SPL. When it is set for SQ, everything flows together nicely.
</font>
yea i do know what u mean about if systems r set up correctly. but the majority of what i hear out there on the road are not
my head unit definitely boosted up my bass and still made everything else sound perfectly well balanced with the base

i loooove my HU even though its a little out dated currently

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
PERFORMANCE MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -UR pulleys SS (3 piece)
-Apexi V-AFC -Autometer A/F gauge -Autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit *no more performance mods will be added*
NON-PERFORMANCE:
-Panasonic CQ-DF800U
screen name: CBFORMULA

·
Registered
810 Posts
I've done many system installs on many different hondas. I would advise you to keep the rear 6x9s. I don't know how sensitive your ears are, but you should still be able to hear a lack of depth with regards to your midrange and treble. You also speculated that your 6x9s aren't putting out much bass because your sub overshadows them. My question is - what the hell are you doing running low frequency bass through your 6x9s when you have a sub? Fork over the extra dough and get at least an audio control X-over. Your system will sound much better and louder because you won't be wasting amp wattage on frequencies that your sub should be putting out anyway. My EQ lets me control which speakers get a signal, and I DEFINITELY notice the difference when I cut the signal to the rears. It makes it much easier to tell when you can just sit in the car and press a button to hear the difference in sound quality. I use an EQ for in car tuning, while I use the x-over to set the sound up to my general preferences. An EQ would be like a V-AFC, and a X-over like a fuel pressure regulator. One allows for fine tuning, while the other sets general preferences.

·
&quot;PO Doc&quot;
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the tips. After having the sub for a few days, I have decided not to pull the rear speakers. I do notice a little bit of rear fill, and i think moving the sub a little helped. I also don't think that the enclosure or amp is the problem. The sub is a 10" Boston Pro 2 ohm, with a custom built 3/4 mdf box with internal bracing. Also, the amp is a kenwood mono sub amp putting out 300w at 2ohm. However, playing with the cross over has also helped. And I never tried turning up the bass on the on rear speakers, but for a while they sounded very tinny, as if they were just tweeters. My bass level is set on 0 and the sub control on my head unit has been raised to 4 instead of 2. This is the highest i can go without dominating the sound with all bass.

Now if I can only figure out how to dampen the rattle from teh trunk springs.

Neel

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a new member here, just recently started browsing the board, but I thought I could add a little here. If you are pushing a lot of power to your subs, the high SPLs can actually modulate the cones of your 6x9s. In other words, since the trunk is somewhat sealed, the pressure of the bass will cause the 6x9 cones to vibrate at the same frequencies. The cones of most 6x9s, or anything other than subwoofers, are not meant to move _THAT_ much, so at some point this movement will cause the 6x9s to bottom out and "rattle". If this happens, you can either remove the 6x9s or you can buy some type of "shrouds" that seal off the bottoms of the 6x9s. I say this from experience, because in one of my other cars I had this problem, and the rattling drove me crazy. Finally, and back to the original question, you should get more bass coming through to the interior from the speaker holes. And if your trunk rattles from the bass, it may help this as well. BTW, if you do have high quality component speakers in the front, you may not miss the rear fill. Think about it, truly all-out home audio systems do not utilize any rear speakers - it's all about what's in front of you. Good luck with your choice :^)

[This message has been edited by Tifosi (edited April 08, 2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rogue:
It depends on the size of the sub as well. A 15" sub has larger wave lengths than a 10" sub so outside the car if you have a 15", will be quite loud, but not too loud inside the car. Plus what amp are you using? Maybe it is a little underpowered for the size of the sub.

Hopefully I made sense...it is Friday you know.
</font>
wait a second...how does a 15" sub have a larger wavelength than a 10" sub. if the wavelength is larger then its a lower frequency. a frequency played through any speaker should have the exact same wavelength. harmonics may be different, not sure about that. but the fundamental has to be the same

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,078 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Merlin1xx1:
wait a second...how does a 15" sub have a larger wavelength than a 10" sub. if the wavelength is larger then its a lower frequency. a frequency played through any speaker should have the exact same wavelength. harmonics may be different, not sure about that. but the fundamental has to be the same</font>
I think he means the capabilities of the 15 and 10 inch sub is differerent. As you say a 40 Hz sound is a 40 Hz sound - it has a specific frequency. However, can every sub reproduce that sound correctly? No - and generally, the bigger the sub, the better quality of sound down below. The tradeoff is that sending higher frequencies to the larger sub (ie if you don't use a crossover) will hurt the sound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts