Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the talk about alarms and security I was jsut wondering how many 5th Gens have actually been stolen? I'm sure breaking into them happens but does anyone REALLY know someone who had their 5th Gen stolen? I honestly think the imobilizer is a pretty good device to keep the car from being stolen. I'm trying to decide how much if at all I want an alarm for my car.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I've heard of very few. Maybe 2 in the last year. I honestly don't know how though with the imobilizer. I think its a good device too. But then again I'm sure someone will find a way to get by it if they haven't already.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by smoothludey:
i can't remember the percentage but i believe it's like %60 of all stolen cars have the keys in the ignition...so in that case the immobilizer won't do you any good
</font>
I agree with you about the keys in the car...I've heard that a few times myself. I just think that with all the people on these boards we stand a higher chance of theft because our cars are modded. Even with that I've NEVER heard of one person getting their car stolen or anyone they directly knew.

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Someone broke into my sisters car..but couldn't get it to go anywhere.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
A police officer pulled my friend over last week for exhaust and lowering and said since my friend didnt have a tag on the front he said it may have been stolen. To make a long story short, the cop said that around here Preludes are among the most stolen cars which I think is BS. Maybe the 4th gens are but I figured with the immobilizer on the 5th gens, the only way they could be stolen is on a flat bed and I find that highly unlikely that so many are stolen that way.

The cop said that people are stealing Hondas around here like crazy and they are just switching plates and thats it. But I know tons of ppl wih Hondas and I have not even heard of anything getting stolen. so who knows.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Cops will come up with any excuse to pull you over and then check you over. Other than Veetec, I think they are all clowns

·
Registered
416 Posts
guys,

here's the truth on how "unstealable" the 5th gen ludes really are.

it's not hard at all for the pro and he won't need a flatbed truck to take yours.

The immobilizer is no joke tho, as it
is being described by the pros as a major PIA but that's all it is. Not a way to stop a real thief. I unfortunately happen(ed) to know a guy who stole a number of itr's and 5th gen ludes. I didn't know him very well but he stole them and sold the parts thru a shop he owns. Yeah..sad, aint it?

So with that being said, I'm on my third prelude.

First one, a 93 si got stolen back in 96', with a club, alarm and kill switch. I had that suck modded pretty heavy(i think getting the rims really attracted the thieves), thus I wasn't too surprised to see it go.

Second one, a 97 typesh, was interesting. I didn't want to fall victim 2x so I got an alarm with a good install, back up battery and hidden sirens and a club/ shield.

One morning, I come out to my car and all the doors are ajar and my hood was not closed. My car wouldn't start. The thief cut my power to the battery and had cut half way into the steering wheel. I guess he left when the alarm kept blaring even after cutting battery and probably saw that getting the club w/ the shield off was gona take too long. So my car was still there.

This goes to show you that you can stop theft but you can only do so much. I bet if that thief had another chance, w/ more time, he'd figured out how to steal it in shorter amount of time.

All I can tell you guys is layer up. Now that I've gone back to my true passion(4th gen ludes), I know it's slightly more susceptible to theft. I got 4 layers of(club, robocap(club&shield in one), alarm and backup battery) anti-theft and it's not even really modded. I should really add a hoodlock and maybe a better alarm system period. But I know, like my alarm installer told me, that extra two-three layers are better than a good single one.

Here are my recommeded suggestions, please feel free to correct or add:

1.alarm w/ good install, hidden backup battery and dual sirens, preferably one hidden one in plain sight.
2.club w/ the shield
3.autolock
4.hood lock, preferably non-electric type
5.diconnect your silver pwr doorlock levers(this is the #1 thing thieves reach for to open ludes and many 2-dr hondas. sure they can get in other ways but now you've delayed him a bit and got him thinking)
6.always park head in with wheels turned to one side to make towing difficult
7.a good tracking system(this one i'm not too crazy about..i mean, if the thief took it I really don't want it back)
8.hidden kill switch, or like u.k.vtec said, take a part of your car that's relatively easy to take off.

If i sound like a paranoid fool(well i maybe after almost having my 2nd lude stolen as well)...I do live in Los Angeles and cars get stolen around here like nothing. I really don't care that much if my car gets stolen anymore(seems the more you treasure something, more likely you'll lose it), I just dont' like people taking what's not theirs. And I sure as hell don't wanna see some punk getting rich selling my stuff that I looked after with so much care.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
394 Posts
Instead of going through all that trouble, why not just take one of the spark plug wires out and keep it on your keychain? How many theives would carry spares? LOL

Or maybe a simple valve somewhere in your gas line. just turn the valve to "Off" every time you leave your car. What thief would think to look for something like this?

------------------
Chris
Premium White '99 base model Prelude

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - Street/Strip Disc
· Fidanza Flywheel
· Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750
· Precision Power PC4400.2 powering:
· Infinity Kappa 60.2cs 6.5" Components.
· Precision Power PC1400.2 powering:
· Single Image Dynamics IDQ 12 in a custom sealed box.

[email protected]

FOR SALE

·
Registered
997 Posts
I also thought about getting a backup battery but i thought maybe a hood lock would eb better since then they wouldn't be able to get to the battery; thus requiring a backup battery and siren. Right?

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Registered
416 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ChrisM2097:
Instead of going through all that trouble, why not just take one of the spark plug wires out and keep it on your keychain? How many theives would carry spares? LOL

Or maybe a simple valve somewhere in your gas line. just turn the valve to "Off" every time you leave your car. What thief would think to look for something like this?

</font>
Yeah, good points. But I too had a kill switch to my fuel line in my first lude...they somehow found it. And thus, the importance of layering devices instead of just relying on a single feature.

And taking off plug wires off is a bit too much of a hassle. I woulnd't want to open my hood to do so unless I'm leaving my car in real high theft area..thus, you want things like a good alarm and autolock, etc to protect your car, which are much faster/easier to use.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
416 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scriber:
I also thought about getting a backup battery but i thought maybe a hood lock would eb better since then they wouldn't be able to get to the battery; thus requiring a backup battery and siren. Right?

</font>
Yeah, I agree. Thus the importance of hood locks..but even better would be to foil the thief's plans IF he manages to open your hood by having that back up battery and hidden sirens. My alarm installer can do it within 5minutes and I'm sure most pros can. It just takes so much time.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
997 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by johnsoncranium:
My alarm installer can do it within 5minutes and I'm sure most pros can. It just takes so much time.

</font>
U mean he can get around a hood lock in 5 minutes?

------------------
2000 Type SH
Wanted: Type S Intake Chamber

FOR SALE: Pirelli Ice Assymetrical Snow Tires Mounted/Balanced on 5th Gen. Base Rims.
Used for 2k miles. $600+shipping.
New JDM H3C bulbs $50

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
I don't know about Preludes with the Immobilizer, but I know of several 2000 and 2001 Integra TypeRs that have been stolen. The 2000 and 2001 ITRs have the Immobilizer system like the Prelude...

Andrew

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aklucsarits:
I don't know about Preludes with the Immobilizer, but I know of several 2000 and 2001 Integra TypeRs that have been stolen. The 2000 and 2001 ITRs have the Immobilizer system like the Prelude...

Andrew
</font>
Any chance you can use a regualr GSR ECU to run those cars? I mean if a theif knew about the immobilizer and you could use a GSR ECU then that would be the way to get one of those. We all know there's nothing like that for our cars. Just a guess?????

Basically from what I'm hearing and have read and heard it's very very hard to steal our cars outright.

·
Registered
416 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scriber:
U mean he can get around a hood lock in 5 minutes?

</font>
a customer came in with a broken(wouldn't open) hood lock on a 5th gen lude, and he loosend the entire latch mechanism by accessing it thru the small grill under the hood and somehow popped it open. Granted, this was a lock he installed, so he knew his way around it.

Now I can see how this would have been much more difficult if he had to do it on a 4th gen lude or a 5th gen lude w/ those mesh grilles. But who knows..he seemed to know his way around so many things.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
Any chance you can use a regualr GSR ECU to run those cars? I mean if a theif knew about the immobilizer and you could use a GSR ECU then that would be the way to get one of those. We all know there's nothing like that for our cars. Just a guess?????

Basically from what I'm hearing and have read and heard it's very very hard to steal our cars outright.
</font>
Sure, you could use an Integra GSR ECU to start an ITR... But you could use an Intregra GSR ECU to start and run a 97+ Prelude too...

When I bought my new Prelude, the first thing I bought for it was a *good* alarm. My alarm has several additional kill relays on various systems and even one on the ignition redundant to the Immobilzer one.

I would never consider owning a new car without an alarm...

Andrew

·
Registered
394 Posts
Useless if the thief doesn't mind being in an uncomfortable position and knows how to use the HAND BRAKE. hacksaw to cut the brake pedal off will fix part of that inconvinience.

------------------
Chris
Premium White '99 base model Prelude

· AEM Cold Air Intake
· Type S shiftknob
· ACT Heavy Duty Pressure Plate - Street/Strip Disc
· Fidanza Flywheel
· Neuspeed Front Strut Tower Brace
· AEM Tru Power Pulleys

Stereo:
· Sony CDX-M750
· Precision Power PC4400.2 powering:
· Infinity Kappa 60.2cs 6.5" Components.
· Precision Power PC1400.2 powering:
· Single Image Dynamics IDQ 12 in a custom sealed box.

[email protected]

FOR SALE

1 - 20 of 23 Posts