Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at taking the lady there for Valentines Day. Not really for a huge romantic thing, just to get out of the desert and see some new things. Neither of us have been before, so just wanted to see if the people that live there or have been there enjoyed it. What is Fishermans Wharf all about? What exactly are the Financial and Theater districts? Any things I would HAVE TO do while I was there?

CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON PO!!!

·
woop woop!
3,697 Posts
Hmmm, just be warned about the horrid driving through frisco... I live about 45 mins south of there... make it up maybe about 6 or 7 times a year. Its packed of one way streets, hills, and potholes. hehe, make sure you have a map handy n stuff since you've never been there before. You can get lost quite easily. But yah, other than that, lots of places to walk around if you can find a place to park... oh yah parking will be horrible that weekend I'm guessing... it's like how a downtown is anywhere on a weekend... It's not going to be wide open parking lots per each restaurant n stuff... And I've only really been around the fishermans warf area...

but yah, ask the SF locals like schwett hehe... I'm sure he can recomend not so crowded areas hehe... ^ was just personal experience from when I've always gone there. :)

·
Oh Hai.
9,785 Posts
I spent a few weeks around Christmas there, driving wasn't an issue at all. However, be prepared for lots of one way streets and plan your trip accordingly. I was lucky enough to have a navigation system, so it wasn't a problem for me. :)

It all really depends on what you want to do. There is plenty. I stayed at the Hilton right downtown on O'farrell, payed about $105/night + $30parking/night -- which is actually cheap.

There is shipping all over the union square area. All of the high end shops and designer stores are along the streets, and there is also a fairly decent sized mall right at Union square.

Fisherman's wharf is definately a tourist trap, but, it was cool to me. Lots of stuff that couples would enjoy. Little shops, ice cream parlors, decent food.

I saw the Nutcracker while I was there, but drove to San Jose to see it, so not sure what to tell you on the Theatre side of things. I really enjoyed the show though.

Nightlife is hit or miss.. I went to a few places. If you plan on going out dancing, I'll try to look them up and see if I can remember where they were.. just let me know. I hit about 10 clubs while there, and only found 1 that was completely packed, and actually really cool.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
4bidden said:
Looking at taking the lady there for Valentines Day. Not really for a huge romantic thing, just to get out of the desert and see some new things. Neither of us have been before, so just wanted to see if the people that live there or have been there enjoyed it. What is Fishermans Wharf all about? What exactly are the Financial and Theater districts? Any things I would HAVE TO do while I was there?

CAN ALWAYS COUNT ON PO!!!
hmm.

i take it neither of you have ever been here?

you may or may not want to deal with the hassle and expense of a car here; i assume you'd be flying. fly into sfo, take bart from there to the powell or montgomery street stop, walk to hotel. i always like staying at the w, which is in a neighborhood called 'yerba buena gardens.' there's a sort of lame mall there with a decent imax theater and regular movie theater, ice skating, kid stuff, etc, as well as a very nice park, some good restaurants (thirsty bear, boulevard, ame, lulu, azie), a lot of hotels, the museum of modern art (worth a trip), etc. going north from there you cross market street, which is kind of the main commercial connecting street in the city and get into either the financial district (heading towards the bay) or the shopping district which is roughly centered around union square. if you want to shop for clothes, jewelry, etc, you'll find it here but if you're looking for toys and gadgets, you probably won't. definitely worth an afternoon of wandering and browsing. the san francisco shopping centre is pretty cool for a mall, it's a kind of vertical mall with curving escalators (which were the first in the world at the time) going up quite a few levels. the clift hotel in that immediate vicinity is pretty cool, also near a bunch of pretty hot bars. some of the more 'romantic' hotels are in that area, more boutiquey stuff like campton place or whatnot.

the super touristy things to do are fisherman's wharf, ghirardelli square, the cable cars. of those i think the cable cars are absolutely worth a ride - it's a unique and very cool experience. i'd suggest riding the powell-hyde line from powell and market up to the wharf. fisherman's wharf is useful for a few minutes to laugh at the seals and all the tourists in 'i left my "heart" in san francisco' sweatshirts!

if you've never been, the golden gate bridge is a must see. walk across it. if you are at all interested in architecture, check out the new de young museum in golden gate park. there is nothing in north america like it. golden gate park itself is nice for hanging out, picnicking etc but it's more for locals to go and run, skate, play pick up games, etc.

if you have a car, drive across both bridges - check out the city from treasure island (a man made island in the bay at the center of the bay bridge spans, former navy base and future home of some really tall buildings and a whole new neighborhood) at night. go across the golden gate in the afternoon and cruise around the marin headlands - spectacular views.

for bars, restaurants, clubs, it's a little harder to say - are you looking for fancy, cheap, ethnic, trendy, etc etc?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow...awesome info schwett!

I'm 22 and shes 21 and like I said, not necessarily looking for something super romantic, just to experience new and unique places and things together.

We will likely be arriving Thursday evening around dinner and staying until Saturday evening. Not looking for fancy, but not looking for cheap. Ice skating, going to the museum, riding the cable cars, Fishermans Wharf, the "verical mall", Golden Gate Bridge....those are all things I want to do during the trip. Think I'll have time for all that?

Looking at staying at the Westin St. Francis in Union Square. Is that a nice central location?

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
Union Square is nice. Very city.
I went walking around O'Farrell, Union, Market last Saturday. It's very nice, relaxing. We were walking around midnight, so not too many people out.

Just be prepared for panhandlers. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Yeah, the Westin in Union Square is a pretty central location. You're right around downtown, Chinatown, shopping, tall buildings, the Bay Bridge, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
You can also check out the Ferry Building on Embarcadero. At night it's got a pretty nice view, and Taylor's has some good cheap eats. If you want more expensive but good food, The Slanted Door is in the Ferry Building as well. Across the street and a block or two down on Embarcadero, Gordon Biersch has a brewery/restaurant there as well. You can also hit up Broadway or Union Street for bars at night, although IMO the people on Broadway can be somewhat seedy at times. At other times, just drunk beligerent people roaming the streets, hence the high SFPD presence.

·
SuperMod
7,962 Posts
4bidden said:
Wow...awesome info schwett!

I'm 22 and shes 21 and like I said, not necessarily looking for something super romantic, just to experience new and unique places and things together.

We will likely be arriving Thursday evening around dinner and staying until Saturday evening. Not looking for fancy, but not looking for cheap. Ice skating, going to the museum, riding the cable cars, Fishermans Wharf, the "verical mall", Golden Gate Bridge....those are all things I want to do during the trip. Think I'll have time for all that?

Looking at staying at the Westin St. Francis in Union Square. Is that a nice central location?
Since there's a museum right by Union Square (Asian Art Museum), you'd be able to do that, the mall on Market Street, and the ice skating on one day.
The next day you could take a cable car to Fisherman's Wharf (from Union Square again), and from Fisherman's Wharf you can go to GGB.

I don't think that's so much. One time, we walked from Union Square to Coit Tower to Fisherman's Wharf and back to Union Square (which I DO NOT RECOMMEND unless you've got ~6-8 hours, good shoes, and a high tolerance for blisters).

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
4bidden said:
schwett, any input on my last post?
as noted above, good central location, not a particularly exciting hotel for the younger crowd, but nice.

you can possibly get everything you mentioned in, but as pter noted you'll need to strategize - one day staying downtown, hit sfmoma, the mall, shopping, etc. that's all within a few blocks of each other. the ferry building is a nice stop for food and so on and walking along the embarcadero is a nice break if you're spending the day around union square and so on. on your other day, get out to the bridge, fisherman's wharf, cable car ride, etc.

on one night i would go hit some bars or clubs in the mission and on the other do something in north beach.

·
no diggity
1,127 Posts
jeremy, i tried sending you a PM but i'm not sure if it went through - if you want a discount at any starwood (westin, w, sheraton, etc) hotel, let me know.....i know a method that might help you save a bit.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
doe said:
jeremy, i tried sending you a PM but i'm not sure if it went through - if you want a discount at any starwood (westin, w, sheraton, etc) hotel, let me know.....i know a method that might help you save a bit.
Damn, that was you tryin to PM me? My box was full but isnt anymore.

I booked it for $740 for 2 nights in the GRAND tower with round trip air from Phoenix. The room alone was like $340/night on their website so I think I got a pretty good deal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts