Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Automatic 96 si the key is stuck in the ignition and the shifter is not depressed at all. I have no clue why i cant get the key out any HELP????

·
Registered
250 Posts
push the key in and turn it down all the way, it might not be all the way out yet??

·
449 Posts
i had a similar problem with my 92 manual.

just had to wrestle with the steering wheel as i messed around with the key and it finally came out. hasn't happened since.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used to work at a hardware store where we made spare keys. It was always a rule that when making a honda key the black had to be at least as long of not longer than the origional. The reason being that to remove a honda key from the ignition you have to sort of push and turn, and if the key is not long enough to reach the end of the lock cylinder, it will not allow you to turn; making your key stuck in the ignition.

So...

Is this a new key? If not, is there any way that your key got shorter for some reason?

The solution if this is in fact the problem is to get out your dremel and dremel the head of the key flat so that it can enter the cylinder so that the tip of the key can touch the back of the cylander. Sucks to do, but its the only way I know of.

·
S2k Addict
146 Posts
i have a problem with my key ignition too....when i put my key in i have to pull it back just alittle bit if its all they way down theres some room for alittle movement but if its all the way down its like steering wheel lock..i just pull it back a bit works fine...was annoying till i learned why the key we getting locked btw i got a 93 SI AT

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
i had that happen, i turn the car back on drove around and it pop out.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My key always used to get stuck when I first got the car, sometimes I used to leave it in the car overnight. then I got a copy made at a Honda dealer and now there is no problem with it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My key has been stuck over 2 monthes i tried all those pushing. But maybe the end is too rounded on my key it was the cars original.

·
C.O.D.
3,542 Posts
it might be a long shot...maybe worth something. take apart the panel underneath your steering column...maybe you'll find something there? :confused: if you tried for 2 months...and still can't take it out then i don't know what it could be??

·
The S Driver
110 Posts
is it fully in park? try puttin it in neutral and take it out......key getsd stuck if it not in P or N too

·
Premium Member
2,208 Posts
sometimes my key gets stuck, happend in my 85 prelude as well ...

I just turn the steering wheel (with key in OFF position) left and right so it hits (because its locked in off position) and it comes loose and slides out as normal ..

try that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine gets sort of stuck sometimes also. I have to wiggle it around for a bit before I get it out. It's a 92 Si 5sp btw

1 - 15 of 15 Posts