Honda Prelude Online banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
When you buy the tensioner, it will come with the tool. If you don't replace the tensioner, you can buy the tool when you buy the other parts. It's only a $7 part or so. Listen carefully to make sure that you don't get the autotensioner rattle after a few thousand miles.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

Billy,

assuming youre going with the NA route, besides i/h/e/pulleys/vfac, do u recommend other things i should consider before starting to get into the engine with camshafts, valves & pistons?

Not really. Real power is inside the engine. An ignition won't hurt, but you really don't need it until you start running higher compression, etc.

An OBD1 conversion would also be a thought. Maybe some better injectors and/or an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

Discussion starter · #24 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
When you buy the tensioner, it will come with the tool. If you don't replace the tensioner, you can buy the tool when you buy the other parts. It's only a $7 part or so. Listen carefully to make sure that you don't get the autotensioner rattle after a few thousand miles.

</font>
thanks Billy, If i do get the auto tensioner rattle i will probably just take the car to the dealer and have them do the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. But as of now i dont have any sings of the rattling. When the dealer does a normal timing belt change, does that include the auto-tenioner too? or do u not know. Doing the timing belt looks like the biggest PITA, after looking through the Helms.

oh yeah and is the tensio0ner tool your talking about the [ looking thing? that hold the springs tension or something like that?? Is that like doing the same thing as "locking down" the tensioner?? or is that kinda ghetto?

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

[This message has been edited by DYI01 (edited April 29, 2001).]

Yes, the autotensioner tool clamps the autotensioner in a collapsed position. The autotensioner is VERY strong, so don't try to do it without the tool!

The autotensioner is not part of the regular timing belt change that the dealer does.

You realize that you are going to essentially be doing a timing belt change, right? You have to take the crank pulley off, the accessory belts, the timing belt, the autotensioner, etc. etc.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

Discussion starter · #27 ·
Yes, the autotensioner tool clamps the autotensioner in a collapsed position. The autotensioner is VERY strong, so don't try to do it without the tool!

The autotensioner is not part of the regular timing belt change that the dealer does.

You realize that you are going to essentially be doing a timing belt change, right? You have to take the crank pulley off, the accessory belts, the timing belt, the autotensioner, etc. etc.

</font>
well...what i was gonna do was to use the directions that i got from the TPC page ( www.hondaprelude.to ) on the cam gear install, but them just change the cams while i was at it. cuz i was thinkning that it was just the same except for the fact that i had to take the cam holders off. Basically what they say to do is put the motor at TDC, take the valve cover off, lock down the auto tensioner, slide the timing belt off of one of the cam gears. But i was gonna just take the cams out at the same time and replace them with the new ones. then slide the timing belt over one cam gear, then put the other cam gear in the timing belt then put the cam gear onto the cam. make sure the timing is correct, then unlock the auto tensioner. and Voila... or is that not the right way to do it. or is that an ok way of doing it? thats why im asking here first

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

That will work as long as you keep tension on the timing belt. It's very easy to slip the belt one tooth. If you do, the car will run all ****ed up. If you slip the belt too far, you might bend some valves, so be careful.

I suppose you could remove the timing belt from the cam gears, have someone hold it (and put tension on it), replace the cams and cam gears, then reinstall the belt.

I am just anal like that. I don't want to turn the engine over unless I can be 100% sure that everything is set correctly.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

Discussion starter · #29 ·
That will work as long as you keep tension on the timing belt. It's very easy to slip the belt one tooth. If you do, the car will run all ****ed up. If you slip the belt too far, you might bend some valves, so be careful.

I suppose you could remove the timing belt from the cam gears, have someone hold it (and put tension on it), replace the cams and cam gears, then reinstall the belt.

I am just anal like that. I don't want to turn the engine over unless I can be 100% sure that everything is set correctly.

</font>
ok cool, thanks. oh and i was gonna put some white out on the timing belt and on the cam gear at the same time to make sure its the same when i put it all back together. And since the cam gears are just factory modified gears i will just mark the same spot on them too so i make sure to put it back to the correct timing.

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.