Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. Jim again!!! I am having a large problem! I need to remove my antenna mast. I looked it up and it said I will need an "antenna nut wrench" to loosen the ring (the ring has four notches). I have tried to get it off with other things...and I cannot. I have gone to various dealers, auto parts, and tool stores...none have one or even know what I am talking about. Somebody suggested snap ring pliers...however these only have two pins. I know this is supposed to be simple, but you all know I am new! Help is more than appreciated! Thanks, all

Jim

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
I was just about to give a reply...never mind

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UK and ANDREW!!

I successfully removed the ring. My problem now is removing the screw-looking thing, in order to remove the entire antenna (not the motor..the mast). I believe it requires a special wrench. I have tried to work around it...no luck. Afraid to strip it, tried a piece of cloth. No luck...have tried vice grip, various wrenches, pliers!, etc. I have disconnected the fuse to my antenna for now
Reply as you were going to before! Thank you all!

Jim

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jim from CA:
...I believe it requires a special wrench. </font>
You answered your own question.
Try a local car audio shop for help.

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I have said, I have gone to TWO Honda dealers, THREE auto parts stores, and TWO regular tool stores, no luck at any of them. I would like to know if anyone has gotten their's off any other way?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine broke so I had to take it off. I took the ring off and then I pulled on the antenna when the mast was coming up. If you know how to install one then do the opposite. Try this and I hope this dosn't break yours and if you are brave enough then this is how. Have someone turn on the radio and when the antenna is coming up just pull on it hard when it is nearly all the way out. Without that ring it should come out. Mine did. BTw wanna sell me ur unused mast? i don't feel like paying 35bucks at the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
rokdavey

I would sell it to you, but I am keeping it! I need to check the 'teeth' on the end of it. Allow me to ask, how did you just rip it out? There is a screw-like thing that I need to loosen before I will be able to take the mast out. Do you have a 4th gen? As you know I am new, so don't mind my ignorance to the topic! Thank you for your help!

Jim

[This message has been edited by jim from CA (edited May 06, 2001).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you are only trying to check the teeth, then you can just pull it out without taking the screw out. I think the screw is part of the motor and the mast support. After taking the shiny ring out, I could see the part holding the teeth. I just had someone turn on the radio and when the antenna was going up I just pulled on it. It came right out. I also have a fourth gen. I'm not sure if i am forgetting to tell you something but I'm pretty sure that's how mine came out.

Aim = rokdavid

------------------
David

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello again

Well this is what i cannot remove
i got this off: O__ (<<shiny ring and black thing)
I cannot remove the screw like thing that is still visible and i cant pull it out without removing it, or I am just weak! it is this: ====

? I am sorry if those sketches are unclear! I am afraid to pull too hard because I am scared to break it!
Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have a 4th gen, and I just replaced my antenna a few days ago. The teeth on the mast is plastic, and the motor teeth are metal, so don't worry about stripping the motor or anything like that. I just did like everyone else...just pulled it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts