Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased a 97 prelude and am in the process of installing a sound system, i need help finding a location to run the amplifier power cable from the battery to the trunk, does anyone have an suggestions or experience on how to route this efficiently

·
Registered
13 Posts
there is a grommet on the passenger side you should be able to run it through there if not you could try near the streering colum but it takes more wire and is harder to hide and look stealth.

·
Registered
134 Posts
route cable through to the passenger side of fire wall, take off plastic cover to the very right of your feet in the passenger seat , then the door sill cover pops right off, and then remove the bottom section (cushion) of your rear seats ( 2 tabs to pull under both seats feel around for them, use pliers to get a firm grasp to pull them towards you) it will release the seat then pull up on it cause there are two hooks connected to the back, once all thats out of the way you'll have easy access to routing the cable under your carpet in a very discrete way to your trunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will i have to move anything in the engine comparpment to get the wire to the battery? it looks like the ecm is on that side along with alot of other components, as well when reading other sites it says to run the cable away from speaker wires and i have all of those routed on the driver side so doing the power cable on the passenger side sounds good

·
Registered
134 Posts
will i have to move anything in the engine comparpment to get the wire to the battery? it looks like the ecm is on that side along with alot of other components, as well when reading other sites it says to run the cable away from speaker wires and i have all of those routed on the driver side so doing the power cable on the passenger side sounds good
no don't worry about moving anything just make sure that your cable is secure zip ties or what ever. I routed my cable through firewall behind fuse area. But if you can't get to the firewall with your hands then unbolt you cruise control.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
24 Posts
Look at that shiny engine, I like. But I digress. Agree with every one, gromet on passenger side is the best place to run the wire, I have several running that way. You can run the wire through the door sills like everyone says...

Or another place I have found is to run it through the center console and you can go beneath the carpet to reach the backseat, then straight into the trunk. I have done installs in preludes with both methods, I don't think one is better than the other. Center console is screws and the sills are those pop tabs, which you always risk loosening every time you take them off and on. All in all, preludes are pretty easy to run wires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Look at that shiny engine, I like. But I digress. Agree with every one, gromet on passenger side is the best place to run the wire, I have several running that way. You can run the wire through the door sills like everyone says...

Or another place I have found is to run it through the center console and you can go beneath the carpet to reach the backseat, then straight into the trunk. I have done installs in preludes with both methods, I don't think one is better than the other. Center console is screws and the sills are those pop tabs, which you always risk loosening every time you take them off and on. All in all, preludes are pretty easy to run wires.
I have removed the air intake tube and the battery and i can see the large grommet, but where does it enter into the passenger comparment on the passanger side, all i can see is alot of wiring harness and the AC unit

·
Registered
24 Posts
I never had to remove anything to reach the gromet. Its too dark outside otherwise I would take a picture for you. Let me know if you still don't have it done tomorrow and can picture it for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I never had to remove anything to reach the gromet. Its too dark outside otherwise I would take a picture for you. Let me know if you still don't have it done tomorrow and can picture it for you.
well, after about 3 hours i fianly got it through the grommet, i was able to see just a small amount of the red wire at the top of the ac unit and was able to grab it with a coat hanger, i have many hours of turning wrenches on my Z28 and my Harley, but i have to say this one almost beat me, but it is in and done and the system sounds great, thanks for all the help, i look forward to doing more this new toy, (i bought it for my 16 Y/O son) and we plan on doing some minor to major work toghether and i am sure this site will help with idea's and tech resources

1 - 10 of 10 Posts