Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i am picking up lunch for like the entire office and I go to get back on the Highway after getting grub and the car starts bogging down pretty good. So I was able to get it up to like 50 mph so I am thinking just let me make it back to the office. Well the engine just dies out on me and that was it it never turned back over. Now I heard it want to start up like briefly then went back to the starter just cranking away. It is being towed back to my office right now. BTW its a JDM h22. I have had problems with the internal coil before and I am thinking that way agian (yes I will rewire it for external coilage) But I am worried about the T-belt. I don't think it is that but I wanna see what you guys think. Ne thoughts would be much appreciated. I will let you know I will get my tools here and start ripping stuff off in anhour or so. Man this sucks weeners. Oh well Thanks

matt

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Proly about 60K on the engine. I do think it is the belt and yes the belt was replaced. The guy doing it said it was so I am all pissed right now. Looks like I will proly be doing a rebuild on my head which is the best way to go. i mean if I have to replace valves and what not I might as well get some new goodies eh. Of course I am not totally 100% sure its the t-belt but I do believe it is.. I pulled the dizzy cap off and tried to see if the rotor turns and it wants to but does not. Bad day for my lude. :(

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Is this "guy" doing this work at a shop? If so, make his @$$ pay for everything, since he screwed it up. If it's a friend, I'm sorry for you, buddy.

J

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK good news the belt is there and it looks good. I am pretty sure the dude did the belt with the swap as I stated before. I was out of the country when it took place so I am not 100% sure and the guy did it on his own but he works for a shop. NE ways I tried to turn the motor with the valve cover off and the battery was completly dead. Here is the kicker I have an Optima yellow top. I think the alternator went out and killed my battery which is about 4/5 months old. So I guess I am going that route. Its better than the t-belt eh. So what do you guys think can that happen they way I described it??? Thanks

Matt

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No dice, the belt is still there but when the starter cranks it will not move the cam gears. So now what? Its gotta be the lower end no? Can your T-belt snap and still look like it is on? I took the dizzy off hoping a sized bearing would be it, it was fine. So what do you guys suggest I will get it home this weekend and I guess I will pull the head off and go from there. I just might yank the entire motor out and get a new one. I am so bummed out it hurts. Its been like 8 hrs with out my lude and I am in withdrawl. Oh well any light you guys can shed on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
New Boeing Engineer
1,027 Posts
If the cams gears aren't turning then it is prolly the belt. It is possible that the bottom of the belt (the part that is on the crank gear right now) has all the teeth stripped off.

Good luck

·
--renovation--
1,061 Posts
Check the spark plug wires on the distributor. A few times I have been driving down the road and the engine just dies and I open the hood to find out that one of the plugs had wiggled itself off the distributor. Just a thought :)

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Zimmlude said:
If the cams gears aren't turning then it is prolly the belt. It is possible that the bottom of the belt (the part that is on the crank gear right now) has all the teeth stripped off.

Good luck
I ran across this scenario in my mind as well. That is just as bad as it (t-belt) breaking right. Lurch- I looked in that vacinity first. Like i stated earlier the starter just cranks away and it will not turn the cam gears, they start to but then stop as if it is jammed up. I mean What should I do. I guess I am going to have to pull the head off reguardless of what the problem is. I might just buy a long block and be done with it. I mean if it is 800-900 for a rebuild of my head then screw it for 1100 I will just buy a long block??? I got up a 5 AM couldn't sleep becuase of my lude. I am almost ready to part it out and be done with it. what a bummer. Alright I am done ranting.

Matt:(

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well guys I don't think I can stomach another motor being put in. I believe my lude days are done. I will be parting out the car as soon as I get it home. I will put a list of things that might be of worth. This is a sad sad day. Let me know anyone if there is something you may need. thanks guys

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know I am like all over the place with this deal. I am trying like hell to get the stomach to do yet another motor. I am looking into a total rebuild and the cost to just put in a long block. I will know more this weekend when I pull the head off of it. I do not really want a car payment so I just don't know what the [email protected] to do. I gave up in 12 hrs. lol I am just at wits end with this car but I still love it ya know.

matt

·
Registered
337 Posts
its probably something simple. dont over react until you know what it is. if you bent a valve or something, it wont be that bad of a repair cost. doubt you will need a new motor. but..if you wanna part it, i will take your motor :D

·
New Boeing Engineer
1,027 Posts
I am willing to bet that it is just the timing belt that was stripped at the bottom. At least spend the $40 and replace the belt to make sure. I doubt the head is really messed up, try doing a compression test after the belt train.

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You guys are right and thats what I am gonna do for now. I will be able to get it home this weekend when I have more time. I was able to roll the car with it in fifth to turn the motor and it did roll. So I guess Thats positive. I am just frustrated as you can plainly see. I willlet you guys know as soon as I open her up. NE other ideas keep em coming it is much appreciated. peace all

Matt

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I know I just wanted to see if the lower end was free. I didn't roll it very far. Like maybe a foot or two at the most. I am just trying like H to figure this out. This sucks. You guys should hear the people at work ripping on the lude. Its brutal, they have no idea what it is. Oh well. I think I will have time to pull the head this weekend anything special to know while doing it. I have a helms so I unno should be OK.

Matt

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone in the Cleveland/Akron/canton area looking to help rip my motor apart, your all welcome to join hehe. All thats hilarious there are like six luders here. lol later on

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
Zimmlude said:
I am willing to bet that it is just the timing belt that was stripped at the bottom. At least spend the $40 and replace the belt to make sure. I doubt the head is really messed up, try doing a compression test after the belt train.
I am willing to bet that the timing belt does have teeth stripped off it and that there will be some head damage. Alan(fourthgeneration) had his do about the same thing. It stripped teeth at the bottom, 16 out of 16 valves were bent.

·
Banned
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
brendon2k said:

I am willing to bet that the timing belt does have teeth stripped off it and that there will be some head damage. Alan(fourthgeneration) had his do about the same thing. It stripped teeth at the bottom, 16 out of 16 valves were bent.
I am beginning to lean this way myself. I will let you know when I rip it all apart.

What did he pay for all 16 valves to be replaced. I mean 500 I think I can get a whole new head???? I think

1 - 20 of 26 Posts