Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
USAF
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my Boston FS 5.25" components with Alpine Type R 5.5 components. The install took some custom fabrication but everything went very well! The only modification to the doors was the removal of the stock speaker basket. Check out my album for the pics:

Speaker install photos

Your comments are welcome!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks really good! Mounting the crossovers in that side pocket thing seems like a cool idea.

Did you run new speaker wire through into the door panel?

Do the 5" s give you enough midbass? I have been thinking about getting 5s instead of a 6 because of the depth problems with 6" speakers.

Do they give more midbass than the stock woofers?

Thanks!

·
USAF
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just cut into the stock speaker wiring and ran that to the crossovers. I don't see an easy way to run wires from the amp to the door speakers.

As for mid bass, it depends entirely on the speaker. My Boston FS 5.25 had WEAK mid bass, but lots of clean treble. The Alpine Type R's have AWESOME mid bass! I can shut my subwoofer off using the cd player, I've already forgotten that it was turned off several times because the bass is so good from the Type R's.

The choice on speakers is up to you, but YES you can get great mid bass from 5 1/4" speakers!

·
Registered
777 Posts
very nice install, i might try this and replace my infinities when i have to.

·
Registered
263 Posts
so do you have the componant set hooked up to the amp? or just running through the stock wiring to your h/u? looks good. how well do the grills fit on there with the speakers raised out?

·
USAF
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm using the stock wire to carry amplified power into the doors. I thought about drilling holes in the door and running wire all the way from the amp, but I don't think it would make a noticeable difference.

A 1/2" spacer leaves a comfortable amount of clearance for the grills and for the window slider in the door. There aren't many speakers as deep as the Alpine 5.5's but you could make the spacer a little thicker if you needed to!

·
Registered
131 Posts
get those amp wires under the carpet!

it'll take 5 mins and it will make the install look 10 times cleaner.

the stock speaker wiring is plenty. You would only begin to have problems with throughput over a long dsitance.

i really need to get off my ass and make my kick pods. i'm tired of not having from speakers... :(

nice install, man. i think that was my inspiration for today. gonna go get goopy with 'glass resin!

·
Registered
248 Posts
NotoriouSH said:
I actually just cut into the stock speaker wiring and ran that to the crossovers. I don't see an easy way to run wires from the amp to the door speakers.
www.ntpog.org has a great write up on getting 14 gauge wire to the front speakers from the trunk. It is a very detailed, meticulous install, but, it is totally worth it for a grade a installation without any drops in quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts