Honda Prelude Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As your newly elected moderator, I figured I'd might as well take on a simple task of compiling a list of discussions/posts that would help anyone in their quest for supercharging their prelude. Any specific details not found here should be found through a thorough search of the archives. New members (and even current ones!) should be proficient at researching their own answers.

Because only the kit manufactured by Jackson Racing is out and only available for the 5th generation preludes, this discussion will only concern the JRSC (Jackson Racing Supercharger) kit for the 5th Gen Preludes.

Since this is a work in progress, any help would be greatly appreciated. You can either email me or PM me, or just simply post a message to this thread for new suggestions, or for minor edits/fixes.

Hope this is useful!

By the way, the bulk of this material can also be found at my JRSC website at http://home.tampabay.rr.com/prelude/

Info on the kit, as well as other needed/recommended modifications:
Power output of the supercharger:
Info on Day-to-Day affairs of a JRSC'ed Prelude:
The SportShift Transmission in Conjuction with the JRSC:
Using a V-AFC in conjuction with the JRSC:
VTEC under the JRSC:
Other Tidbits about the Charger:

- Once its on, you will not clear any front upper strut bar that has been made to date. This means no Neuspeed, DC Sports, or Spoon bars will fit. One look at the installation pictures will surely convince you of this (hint: look at the drivers side clearance).

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OvaDaLimiT said:
whoa...good job mod :bigthumb:
Hey, I try my best. (Plus, it helps to have a good hour and half of free time during work!)

I guess I lucked out and got an easy topic. I know it'd be much more useful if something like this was created for other sections (all-motor, turbo, suspension, stereo, lighting, exterior, exhaust, intake, etc).

Maybe I'll start one of these categories next time I'm free at work...

It'd be nice to have a little help though. With all these people posting useless posts in the Off-Topic forum, it'd be a real service to others to have them compiling lists similar to the one I created. We'd have the biggest Prelude FAQ in no time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Iranman...

Tszyu1 here. Have you read the July SCC article on the JRSC Miata with the Electromotive TEC II installed? They picked up ~15hp and ~11lb-ft of torque with this thing. Then they dropped in some 550cc/min fuel injectors and picked up 11hp and 9lb-ft MORE!!! All this was done with the "regular" JR 5lb boost pulley. When they picked up a 7lb pulley, the numbers went up ANOTHER 17hp!!! Now I know you have just dropped some mad cash on your setup recently, but I thought you might be interested in these numbers for future reference.

Good luck and happy 'charging!!
- signed "Jealous"
Tszyu1

·
Registered
554 Posts
Crap, so I suppose I should do a Turbo one eh? :)

Iraman, do you have any idea what your duty cycle is on your Fuel Injectors? I'd be curious to see if we suffer from the same thing Tszyu1 said the miata was with the injectors not pushing enough fuel.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smilez said:
Crap, so I suppose I should do a Turbo one eh? :)

Iraman, do you have any idea what your duty cycle is on your Fuel Injectors? I'd be curious to see if we suffer from the same thing Tszyu1 said the miata was with the injectors not pushing enough fuel.
I would have NO idea, Smilez. But, I do know someone who may: "Obsidian" from HP.com has the hondata system hooked up to his JRSC-equipped Prelude. However, he's also replaced his injectors with bigger ones. You may try to email him to see if he found the duty cycle before he replaced his injectors.

Good luck, sorry I didn't have an answer.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
WOW!

That is one of the best, most informative posts i have ever seen! Props to you! I tried to download the videos but they didnt work.:( Any idea twhat the problem could be? THanks

Ray

·
Registered
524 Posts
Iranman... those videos seem to have moved. Can you post them again? Pretty please??? :D I never had a chance to see them... thanks!

·
Administrator
13,739 Posts
iranman, this all looks like a good thing to put in a FAQ section, dontcha think :)?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jacques said:
iranman, this all looks like a good thing to put in a FAQ section, dontcha think :)?
Yeah, but I wouldn't be able to edit the post as time goes on, would I?

Plus, I like the idea of this 'faq' to stay here in the forced induction section, so people who come here to ask JRSC questions will see it first and think twice about posting.

2Kluder, my main computer is down (and being repaired) at the moment, so all the videos won't be up for a while. Once I get my PC up and running, however, I'll post 'em somewhere permanent (hopefully!)

·
Crunk + Hyphy = Sam
4,989 Posts
SC for daily driving. Turbo if you want to upgrade and eventually go faster. Turbo's are more maintenance and will cost a lot more to do right than a SC. Since SC's are belt driven, in essence, it is always "on."

SAM

By the way, this should be FAQ'd. :bigthumb: Good job Sina!:bigthumb:

SAM

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
atlxchink said:
Since SC's are belt driven, in essence, it is always "on."
It depends on your definition of "on." If you mean that the supercharger's constantly spinning its rotors, then, yes, it's always 'on.'

If you mean that's it's always producing boost, incorrect. It only produces boost when the bypass valve is closed, which happens when you press on the accelerator. And, of course, the amount of boost 'created' can be modulated by throttle position.

·
Registered
722 Posts
iranman said:

It depends on your definition of "on." If you mean that the supercharger's constantly spinning its rotors, then, yes, it's always 'on.'

If you mean that's it's always producing boost, incorrect. It only produces boost when the bypass valve is closed, which happens when you press on the accelerator. And, of course, the amount of boost 'created' can be modulated by throttle position.
So what does this mean?? your not creating boost at idle right?? Is there a way to turn off the boost on a SC?? Or turn it down , without cahnging the belts??

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vision Lude said:

So what does this mean?? your not creating boost at idle right?? Is there a way to turn off the boost on a SC?? Or turn it down , without cahnging the belts??
Correct. No boost is created at idle. In fact, you don't wan't boost to be created...why subject the engine to a high load when it doesn't need to be? The reason boost isn't created is due to the bypass valve that comes with the kit. The valve reroutes most of the air from the supercharger back into the supercharger itself, instead of the cylinders, effectively preventing any positive pressure from occuring there.

Boost is modified by changing the pulleys, as they determine the effective rotation of the supercharger's rotors. If you wish to 'turn off' boost, you would need to remove the short belt connecting the supercharger pulley to the driveshaft pulley. By doing so, everything else in the engine (power steering, alternator, a/c) continues rotating as normal, but the supecharger does not. So the air just passes right through the lobes and does not get 'crammed' in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.