Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally tried to put my header and cat-back on this weekend. I thought I would be fine because my car is relatively new. On top of that, we worked at my friend's house where he has a heavy duty compressor and air tools. I thought the header and cat-back exhaust install would be easy...

Before attacking the exhaust bolts we put some industial rust penetrating oil on the 6 bolts on the cat, and the 2 on the axel-back exhaust section. After putting on the penetrating oil, we worked on the suspension for about 4hrs to let the oil seep in and do its thing. The bolts on the cat looked *really* bad. So we figured that we would try the 2 axel-back bolts first. One of them had a good deal of rust on it, and the other looked almost brand new - no rust at all, just a grey color. First, my friend tried his 180 lb.ft. impact wrench attachment. He hammered on each nut for at least 20 sec each. Neither would budge. So he also has a heavy-duty impact wrench attachment that he said delivered 515 lb.ft. He said that with the big impact wrench, the bolt would either come right off, or snap the bolt in two... After hammering on the two bolts for at least 20sec each again, neither had budged and both were intact! After surviving a 515 lb.ft impact wrench!!! We put more penetrating oil on and let it sit overnite for about 16hrs. He tried the bolts again with the impact wrench today after soaking, but they still did not move. We didn't even bother trying the cat bolts because they looked much worse...

I had absolutely no luck because the bolts on my exhaust are totally rusted solid. Now I could maybe understand on an older car that has been exposed to the elements for years, but my car is a 2000 model that I have only had for 8 months/17,000 mi!!! So I left my car at his house for the next few days so he could get a torch to cut the bolts off... My friend has been a mechanic for over 10 years, and he said he's never seen a car of any age that had the exhaust rusted on so solidly as mine was...

Don't even ask me about how the suspension install went...

Andrew

[This message has been edited by aklucsarits (edited April 29, 2001).]

·
Registered
610 Posts
Most exhaust shops don't even bother with wrenches, they just cut the bolts with a torch. You can't use stainless bolts on exhausts because stainless steel stretches when it gets hot.

------------------
Marshall McLean
97 Prelude SH
<A HREF="http://www.hondaprelude.to" TARGET=_blank>
</A>

My Home Page

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
That's really amazing, with the bolts not coming off using an impact wrench and all. I installed my headers ~3 weeks ago (and my car had just over 30K on it), and I knew for sure that the cat bolts were rusted (or close enough), but after drenching them in WD-40, i got em off with a good long socket wrench (and about 50 tries too!).

------------------

'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor
Going to replace the springs w/ a set of GC's

·
Registered
831 Posts
Heres what you do. Get a butane tourch and heat the nuts up till they are glowing red. Then use your air wrench and remove the nut. Be careful not to touch the red hot nut. The nuts are made from the factory to auto lock. They are a one time application. Use new nuts when installing the cat and header with a lock washer.

------------------

98 Black Lude
5 Speed

·
Registered
416 Posts
ok..i've used the following method for years and managed to get some bolts of on some "older cars", including my own 93'.
following instructions are from a previous post

as far as the install goes, the biggest problems you'll have is getting some of the bolts off.
use plenty of liquid wrench and let it soak over nite.

use the biggest ratchet, wrench you can find and use a breaker bar.

here's a lil "unconventional" method i use to break the torque on tough bolts.

I cover the bolt with masking tape, which does two things

1.provides extra grip
2.thus prevents slips and stripping the bolts.

it also holds the ratchet tightly in place over the bolt, allowing me to use my method, which is to "kick" the ratchet.

yeah, you heard right. kick the ratchet. now if you ain't confident in the abilities of your foot, then don't use this method. but i've used this method every single time and it hasn't failed me yet.

and with the three bolts that hold your existing exhaust to that cat...you will haave to kick REAL hard.

about the exhaust, the dunk is a good exhaust..most don't like the looks of it for some reason, but i love it. i have a greddy sp myself, but i am gona replace it with the dunk if i ever find the need.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts