Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 honda prelude base model. The issue I'm having is dealing with the check engine light so I can get it smogged. The code described misfiring in all 4 cylinders. I notice that even when the car is cold, the engine revs up and down between 1800 and 1000 rpm continously when I'm in idle. When it's finally warm after driving on the freeway, the idle is more stable but revs above 1k before settling down when stepping on the gas while on idle.

I'm not sure if I'm dealing with 2 separate issues or if it's coming from the same problem. I've recently had all my belts, tensioner, water pump, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and thermostat replaced hoping it would remedy the issues at hand. I also had a valve adjustment done.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Make: Honda
Model: Prelude base
Year: 1999
Engine: base H22A

Already Tried:
major tune up. replaced wires, plugs, cap/rotor, belts, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, seals, valve adjustment.

Going to try:
Clean IACV
Replace PCV

CEL codes:
I used the paperclip method to retrieve CEL codes. This is what I found:

71 P0301 Misfire Cyl. 1 or Random Misfire

72 P0302 Misfire Cyl. 2 or Random Misfire

73 P0303 Misfire Cyl. 3 or Random Misfire

74 P0304 Misfire Cyl. 4 or Random Misfire

Additional info:
Gas is good.
Coolant levels are good.

·
Premium Member
440 Posts
Go to a pep boys/advance auto/auto zone...and have then read your codes with a scanner. Maybe they will be able to get more codes for you other than the random misfire codes.

·
Registered
388 Posts
thats odd.....ive seen 1 or two cylinders miss fire but all of them and it still run? lol im assuming timing is ok with a valve adjustment being done? was the miss fire taking place before the valve adj?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is an old thread but was hoping for an update. My prelude, same base model 99, is doing the same thing and reading the same thing. I have had it read at every different place I can think of and I keep getting the same codes. Misfire on all 4. But the car seems to run just fine it's just when it's idling, it's sound bad and feels bad. (I know those are not good terms for this site but I don't know a lot about cars but I know something is wrong with mine......sign)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
^^egr is the solution like hammbone said. My 5th gen did the same until i cleaned my egr and egr ports. Issue was resolved instantly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is it hard to clean the ERG ports? Can I do it myself? Like I said I don't know a lot about my cars engine. Everything I have done had been by just common sense or google. Now,I have changed the spark plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor button, fuel filter. I have also put injector cleaner in the gas and cleaned the EGR valve. A little background, it all started out of no where the car was fine one day. I got on the interstate, still fine. Then I got off the interstate and stopped at a red right and the engine was shaking. My whole car was vibrating. I thought it was blowing up or something. I went through the list of what I did. Once I cleaned the EGR valve it made a WORLD of difference. The hard shake/vibration is gone but its still not right. I took it back to get read again and it still shows misfire on all 4 cylinders. I'm getting frustrated. But I would like to do it myself if possible.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There are a few DIY's on the subject. Its not difficult. Hardest part is pulling the brass plugs out of the intake runners. And thats not difficult either. If your able to do a basic tune up u can clean the ports....still not sure if this is your problem if all cylinders are misfiring.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well do you, or anyone, have any suggestions of where I should go next as far as cleaning or replacing. And in my last post I forgot to mention, when I fist had it tested it was random misfire on all 4 but when I was replacing things I would take it back to have it tested again. Next I got misfire on cylinders 1 2 3 then I replaced the cap and button and got misfire on 2 3 and 4. Then I replaced the fuel filter and got misfire on 1 and 3. Then I cleaned the EGR valve and I'm back to misfire on all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I try to do all this myself or get advice before going to a mechanic. I'm a young female and I live in a very small town (good ole boy system). I am not from here. I am the city girl. So, they try taking advantage of me anytime they can.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
http://www.preludeonline.com/f60/egr-port-cleaning-243274/

^This is the write-up that I used when I did mine. Very straight forward, and actually pretty easy.

I had to use my vacuum with a small pipe duct-taped to it to suck all the residual cleaner out of the cylinders before it would stop fouling the plugs and start again... just as an FYI. :)

·
Registered
350 Posts
I recommend removing the entire intake manifold to do this. Youll need throttle body, intake mani, IACV, FITV, EGR valve, and injector gasket/seals additional to the replacement plugs.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
^ I agree. I was lazy/cheap and didn't want to take everything apart, so I did it while it was mounted, but would be ALOT easier and a better job done if taken off.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yea metal shavings on the intake side of the engine doesnt give warm fuzzy feelings inside. Definitely if your paying someone to do this they may rush the job and not take their time to prevent metal getting in or atleast cleaning it out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just dealt with a similar issue. My car had a leaking head gasket causing my cylinders to misfire upon startup. I replaced it regasketed everything. Had that bouncing idle issue too. I thought it was vacuum lines, it turns out it was the wire to my vtec solenoid. After a test drive I found out that vtec didn't kick over. I fixed the wires and it was all ago.

Your intake manifold gasket could be shot or your head gasket, But if you aren't losing coolant I wouldn't jump straight to the head gasket. Spray some carb cleaner around your IM, TB, Vacuum lines, and all that other junk. Check all the electrical connections as well. Do a compression check. All these test should tell you exactly what is wrong.

And how old is your fuel filter??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ok so I have a 2000 Honda Prelude with 88k miles. I was driving down from LA going back to SD, CEL comes on. I have it looked at, and it's P1399. I'm taking every possible fix one step at a time (low on funds at the moment) so I start with the spark plugs and reset the ecu. One week later light comes back on, same code. Before and after the light came on in the first place, the car ran fine with the new spark plugs. Like nothing was wrong with it. Took it to a shop for a second opinion. They told me I needed a new EGR valve and a valve adjustment, quoted me for $500. Yeah ok. So like I said, one fix at a time. I personally cleaned the EGR valve, didn't replace it coz honestly it didn't look or feel inoperable. Plunger still moves smoothly. Haven't touched anything else. So at this point, the only "fixes" I have attempted so far are the spark plugs and EGR valve cleaning. I reset the ecu again. 5 minutes after I go for a test drive, the engine starts to sputter/stall when I brake or coming to a stop light/sign. It has a rough idle. CEL is blinking at me when idle, solid when accelerating. My question now is, did I pinpoint the source of these misfires? It only started doing this AFTER I cleaned the EGR valve.I would like to buy a new EGR valve but I am low on funds at the moment. Anyways, would that be the culprit or should I attempt all the other "fixes" like the wires, cap and rotor, fuel filter, EGR passage/port cleaning, etc as well? This dilemma is killing me. Thanks for taking the time to read this and maybe reply for any opinions.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 1999 honda prelude base model. The issue I'm having is dealing with the check engine light so I can get it smogged. The code described misfiring in all 4 cylinders. I notice that even when the car is cold, the engine revs up and down between 1800 and 1000 rpm continously when I'm in idle. When it's finally warm after driving on the freeway, the idle is more stable but revs above 1k before settling down when stepping on the gas while on idle.

I'm not sure if I'm dealing with 2 separate issues or if it's coming from the same problem. I've recently had all my belts, tensioner, water pump, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and thermostat replaced hoping it would remedy the issues at hand. I also had a valve adjustment done.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Make: Honda
Model: Prelude base
Year: 1999
Engine: base H22A

Already Tried:
major tune up. replaced wires, plugs, cap/rotor, belts, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, seals, valve adjustment.

Going to try:
Clean IACV
Replace PCV

CEL codes:
I used the paperclip method to retrieve CEL codes. This is what I found:

71 P0301 Misfire Cyl. 1 or Random Misfire

72 P0302 Misfire Cyl. 2 or Random Misfire

73 P0303 Misfire Cyl. 3 or Random Misfire

74 P0304 Misfire Cyl. 4 or Random Misfire

Additional info:
Gas is good.
Coolant levels are good.
. Replace the gaskets on the intake manifold sometimes coolant can get inside and that can cause it to misfire

1 - 18 of 18 Posts