Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be replacing my shocks with OEM ones, no suspension drop or any other mods. Don't have any unusual tire wear right now. Will I need to get an alignment done afterward? If so, why?
I've been told by numerous people that when I replace the shocks I'll need an alignment. But unless I mess with the tie rods the toe should stay the same. The caster can only be adjusted by some shims on the radius rod somewhere. And the camber can only be adjusted with aftermarket camber kits or by suspension damage. That's the way I understand it. Anything I'm missing?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Merry Christmas to all!

D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Put the shocks in, do a test drive and see how the alignment is, you'll know from your steerling wheel, drive it strait with your hand off the wheel and see if there is any difference, also before you put the shocks do the same thing so you know it's the same alignment when you put the new shocks on.

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,182 Posts
Well first off, BAD sunnyside, telling someone to drive with no hands, you trying to get him killed? hahaha, just kiddin.

Ok, anyways, there is only one problem, what if the tires are misaligned in a vertical way and not lateral, he may experience no difference in driving at all, yet his tires may wear out without him knowing.

Remember, he is changing shocks, so actually, he will have more vertical alignment issues than lateral in the first place.

so yeah, it may be good to get it aligned, it's up to you.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
No you won't. Replacing shocks does not change ride height so you will not need an alignment. If you are replacing springs too, then yes you should probably at least get it checked because the new ones may have slight variances compared to the old.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the help. I figured the best way to go about it is to check the ride height before and after the shocks at all four wheels. If it changes, then I better check the alignment.

D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts