Honda Prelude Online banner

Alignment Question

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  U.K VTEC 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I installed my suspension and put new tires on a few weeks back and did an alignment last week.
Nonetheless, the car still pulls to the right

My alignment numbers are all within spec., Fr Cambers are both at-0.9 and the Fr Toes are both at 0.02.
Rear Cambers are at -1.6 both and the Toe's are at 0.10 and 0.11.

With such good numbers, Should I go and get it realigned or what???

------------------
'99 Honda Prelude 5spd
Eibach Pro-Kit
KYB AGX shocks

#3 ·
Well since I did the suspension install myself, what would i be looking for then if i was to inspect the suspension.

------------------
'99 Honda Prelude 5spd
Eibach Pro-Kit
KYB AGX shocks

#5 ·
There isn't anything to look for. If the numbers are "really" right, there isn't a suspension problem.

Check tire pressure and wear (if you haven't). If the tires haven't worn evenly the problem may be a mis-worn tire. The pressures affect things more than you think, too.

You might also try another place, or try the same shop again (that shouldn't cost you anything). I've seen alignment guys put the heads on the wheels wrong and dick up the alignment (I've had it happen a few times). Make sure they get everything aligned right, and try to go to someone with a newer Hunter rack that shows the thrust angle.

I'd suspect the numbers weren't right (i.e. the rack wasn't set up right) if your tires and pressures don't check out. A suspension problem would show up somewhere.

Might also check the brakes and make sure they aren't dragging, though that's not something I'd expect to see on a Prelude (maybe a 'vette or a Camaro or something).

#6 ·
Hey thanks marcucci. i actually have a life time alignment thing from firestone, so it wouldn't cost me anything anyway. i guess ill just try another firestone place in the area over the weekend, and i know the tire pressure might be the thing, i was in a hurry this morning but have been meaning to check the pressures; and also the tires are only a week old, so there wont be any wear on them anyway

Before i make an appointment, anyone else has any ideas. thanks in advance

------------------
'99 Honda Prelude 5spd
Eibach Pro-Kit
KYB AGX shocks

#8 ·
Firestone- that says it all. I've yet to hear anything good about any Firestone shop anywhere in the country.

Since it won't cost you anything, I'd go back and tell them what you've found. They should listen, and hopefully it was a mistake when they set up the heads on the rack. If it pulls, they should eventually find it, it will show up in the numbers if it isn't tire pressure.

#9 ·
Oh, and one last note, if you got new tires, check the pressures. It's a common misconception that tire places (Firestone, Discount, etc.) actually air the damn things up right. Make sure they are all 32 or higher, and all the same within a pound. Differences of just a couple of pounds can cause a pull to one side or another. Be sure to level them all out the same.

I'd also run a little higher pressures, like 36/34 f/r if you drive agressively. Also be sure to check pressures as temperature changes (maybe 10 degrees or so) as that will cause your tire pressure to vary quite a bit. Will help your rubber to last longer.

#10 ·
Check the tire pressures. I find that a 2 psi difference is noticable to me. As marcucci pointed out, check the tire itself for uneven wear. Or maybe rotate the tires front to rear and see if the problem is still there.

The toe settings in the rear seem a little too large. Positive numbers are toe-in, right, someone correct me if I'm wrong. That's 0.2 of total toe in that you have in the rear, seems like a lot to me. It's probably still within the factory tolerances though.

Also, some good shops compensate for the driver's weight by doing the alignment with either you in the seat or some weights.

I guess the lifetime alignment deal at Firestone is a bargain, but you really get what you pay for. Check with the local autocrossers and find out what shops they prefer.

#12 ·
Actually, whoever said, check tire pressure gets a cigar.
I walked out to the parking lot and checked the tire pressures, sure enough, the right front was down 2psi, so i let some air out of the left front and the car drives straight now...those stupid garages cant even install tires right and put enough air into them (i should actually say, that i got the tires mounted not at firestone but at a different place, not that i would put it past firestone to screw it up, given the chance).
Now I need to add more air, i cant drive at 32psi, that just no good.

------------------
'99 Honda Prelude 5spd
Eibach Pro-Kit
KYB AGX shocks

#13 ·
Hm..that reminds me..i should check my air pressure..hahaha..no alignment problem or pulling towards any particular side though.. Hm..anyone know where i can find a chart on recommended PSI? I have aftermarket rims.

--sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.