Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few of you are using this alarm so I wanted to ask how you liked it? It's going super cheap on Groupbuycenter.com and it's one of the things I'm in the market for in the future. If it's something worth actually buying then I might do it ASAP so I can wire it in when I do my stereo. If anyone has any websites with write ups on it's features and how it rates against the others please post them as well.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
a dude in my "hood" has one. The keychain things is soooooo tiny. If its good i wouldnt mind gettin it.

------------------

www.importheart.com
Whos your DelTapywa?
I got these Jammies.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just did a search and must've typed Aladdin wrong because now I see just a month ago there was a debate between the Aladdin and the Compustar unit.

For those who have either what do you like and dislike about your alarms?

I want to order over the weekend or on Monday so please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
I just did a search and must've typed Aladdin wrong because now I see just a month ago there was a debate between the Aladdin and the Compustar unit.

For those who have either what do you like and dislike about your alarms?

I want to order over the weekend or on Monday so please let me know what you think.
</font>

If i remember correctly the main concern was that the company is so small it might not be around in a few years and if something breaks or goes wrong theres no way to fix it. I have neither, but if you do get an alarm don't put the sticker's on your windows. When good theifs walk by they scope out stuff like that to assume something valuable is inside. Same goes for heavily tinted windows and nice cars. I guess we're outta luck

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99Prelude_LC:

If i remember correctly the main concern was that the company is so small it might not be around in a few years and if something breaks or goes wrong theres no way to fix it. I have neither, but if you do get an alarm don't put the sticker's on your windows. When good theifs walk by they scope out stuff like that to assume something valuable is inside. Same goes for heavily tinted windows and nice cars. I guess we're outta luck
</font>
No chance of me ever putting the sticker on the car. Theives also know the weak spots of alarms so if they see a Clifford or DEI sticker they know where to look first to beat it. I'm not concerened with replacement parts for either alarm. I'm careful with my stuff and for the small price they charge for either system I could replace the entire thing with some other alarm if the need ever arose.

I really like the vibrating feature of that Aladdin alarm.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Help me out

OK there was this super thorough thread about the differences and perks of both the CompuStar alarm and the Aladdin 2000. Since the move to Preludeonline.com it seems to have been lost. Well either that or I'm a putz :D Anyway if someone could give me a quick re-hash of the differences or find that old thread that had that stuff listed it would be really appreciated. I was going to do this a while back but I had trouble with other things, then I was trying to get all my car audio stuff together, and somewhere inbetween the car got hit. So basically I'm back to figuring out which one I want more. TIA

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alert feature question

OK for you guys that use eitehr the CompuStar or the Aladdin how far away and how fast does the paging work? I live in the front and top (5th) floor of my building and my car is parked in the back. I want to make sure if my alarm goes off I know about it and quick...especially for any false alarms at 3am! I know they claim something crazy like 2 miles but is that accurate? I'd really like to order one by the end of work tomorrow so if anyone can answer this it would be a great help. I was leaning towards the Aladdin for the vibrating feature but after some more research I'm leaing towards CompuStar.

·
Registered
826 Posts
hey whats up man...

yeah, jin (jkoc) from the lude forum was the first guy to get a Compustar 2000AS, i was the one that started yappin about the Aladdin 2000, but i eventually switched over to the Compustar after those incredibly thorough discussions we had (too bad it was wiped out)

anyway, i have a CS-2000 on my civic, had it for about 2 months, my first transmitter unit was defective and only got it replaced recently, but now i enjoy it quite a bit, and so does jkoc...

essentially, the two systems are virtually identical, in my opinion the dealer network for the compustar is a little more localized than the aladdin because of the fact that the compustar system is designed/distributed in the US and canada, while the aladdin system is designed in korea and distributed by this US company Televideo... only differences between the systems themselves that we discovered between the two were that (IMO) the compustar remote looked nicer hehe, the aladdin remote featured a remote-vibration option as opposed to beeping, the aladdin 1000 ft transmitting distance was hampered by not being FCC-compliant (you can cut a small cable to change that), and the aladdin remote also featured a built-in alarm clock and battery charge indicator (if it reaches below 12v) for the car battery as well as the remote (compustar only has a battery indicator for the remote)

all of that is really preference, however the deciding factor for most turbo-owners (WRX owners for instance, and those planning on turbos) was that the Aladdin 2000 featured a built-in turbo timer-esque feature (simply a delayed ignition shut-off function)...

another thing, the guy doing the only distribution that i know of for the Aladdin 2000 over the internet (Custom-EFX on groupbuycenter.com) is an EXTREMELY shady individual, their company has had something like 12 positive, 11 negative, and one neutral customer review in the past 3 months... i don't do business with companies that have a 50/50 success rating of correct transaction completion, that was a major deciding factor for me as well...

like i said, now my system works perfectly and im enjoying it quite a bit, so if you have an N/A car and don't plan on any forced induction that might make you prefer the A2k, i would recommend the compustar

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool! Thanks for the input...I like the Compustar as well and that's probably which direction I'll go in. 3 more things, 1) where did you get yours from? 2) How hard was the install 3) how far is the range on the remote for feedback if the alarm is tripped?

Thanks again :D

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
uhhh compustar has a turbo timer off feature too.
it also has a battery-strength indicator on the remote too.

kion had some issues with his (defective unit, and he had the hidden valet switch ON which really screwed him up for a long time hahaha), and i felt bad that he had to go thru it all. but i would safely say that mine has been working flawlessly since day one. i think Kion's is fine now too!!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
oh, i also got the honda accord trunk motor to work with the compustar unit. it even works without the additional relay.

this trunk opener thing is in the FAQ. too bad they never faqed the compustar article too because i keep getting email about it.

ps: the accord trunk opener was only 50$CAD and it fits bolt for bolt on the prelude trunk. i have no idea why honda never included this!

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
some canadian guy said:
HEY IT'S THAT PREULDE GUY FROM HACKENSACK! :D
You've obviously missed the part of my profile that says "I hunt people!" :D

I'm going to guess your bored???? :rolleyes:

·
Holler
347 Posts
to u guys with the compustars..

What kind of sensors did it come with? I heard a while back that the shock sensors that it comes with is really "ghetto" and outdated. Supposedly it's a rubber band type of thing? :confused: But, besides that..could you guys list what parts came with the alarm (types of sensors, etc.) ..and how many features does it have? Can u program more into the alarm itself (like the trunk opener)? Also..is the remote really accurate? Like..if someone opens ur door, does it pop up on the lcd screen as opened door? And one more thing..how far is the range on the remote?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Re: to u guys with the compustars..

vtec_s0n said:
What kind of sensors did it come with? I heard a while back that the shock sensors that it comes with is really "ghetto" and outdated. Supposedly it's a rubber band type of thing? :confused: But, besides that..could you guys list what parts came with the alarm (types of sensors, etc.) ..and how many features does it have? Can u program more into the alarm itself (like the trunk opener)? Also..is the remote really accurate? Like..if someone opens ur door, does it pop up on the lcd screen as opened door? And one more thing..how far is the range on the remote?
its a dual stage sensor.

do you READ buddy?? i just said, i got my compustar working with the accord trunk opener. it has capability to add-on other sensors too. so if you really dont like the dual stage sensor, then buy something u want. lcd is basic though -- a door flaps when stage-1 is set off,/// a hammer bangs the car when stage2 is set off. if the lcd is going to be accurate in terms of WHERE your car got hit, you got one sophisticated system ...

range is pretty good. i live on 8th floor apt and my car is located on the other side of the building. still works. works to around 1/4mile.

www.compustar.org. read .

MAN I WISH THE OLD POSTS WERE FAQED.

·
Holler
347 Posts
whoa..PMS huh? CHILL BUDDY. and yes, i do read..when i asked "if u could program MORE features *like* the *trunk opener*," I was referring to MORE additional features OTHER than the trunk opener..i.e. window roll up, etc. sorrie if i didn't make that clear to u in the first place..dam..how about u just relax and take a deep breath..no reason to get hostile on my ass :finger: :D

·
Registered
826 Posts
jkoc said:
uhhh compustar has a turbo timer off feature too.
what?!?!? since when? hehe

jkoc said:
it also has a battery-strength indicator on the remote too.
yeah, the battery strength of the remote, not the car battery, the a2k supposedly has both, an indicator to tell you that the car battery is low (not sure how useful it'd be though, how often does your car battery drain out to the point that you'll know, but you can still do something about it?)

jkoc said:
kion had some issues with his (defective unit, and he had the hidden valet switch ON which really screwed him up for a long time hahaha),
haha, DUDE, the hidden valet switch i accidentally hit on for ONE day :), hehe, thats it, the thing that took me a while was getting teh remote replaced as it was defective (still transmitted something, refused to learn any new codes for some odd reason)...

anyway, i bought it from 12voltshop.com, cuz there are no compustar dealers near me (not that i know of anyway) and i have an install shop that i trusted with some work already, so i figure i'd buy it independently and have them install it... since i didnt do it, i couldnt tell ya how complicated the install was, but my guys said it wasn't a walk in the park and a bit more complicated than the average DEI system.. to my knowledge, the only additional components over your average system are the antenna for the transmitter/receiver unit that you install near the sun visor and the vehicle paging sensor which you won't really use

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
oh sorry about that... compustar doesnt have a turbo timer off mode. i thought i read that in the manual.

by the way... if you people REALLY need to know everything about it.
look here for the manual. find out yourself.
http://www.compustar.org/manuals/2000ASmanual.pdf

to more specifically answer the LCD indication question, theres indication on the screen for:
-opened doors
-opened trunk
-car engine on/off
-shock stage1 (vibration icon)
-shock stage 2 tripped (hammer icon)
-pager
-and also some stastus icons etc...

anyway. its all in the manual. so do you own comparisons with aladdin system.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts