Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was all set to remove my air con today (its not worked for months) and i just noticed that the same belt that drives the aircon drives the alternator and that its the air con pump that tensions the belt.

is there any way to remove the air con ??

·
Registered
63 Posts
You can remove it, you just have to get a new/smaller belt to drive your alternator.

I can't remember what size is needed (I have a underdrive pulley so my belt is different anyways), but the safest bet is to drive to a parts store, loosen up the alternator, take off the belt, take it in tell them you need one that is about 5-6" smaller, then try it out, if it doesn't fit go back in & get the appropriate size.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but if its the air con pump that tensions the belt how will i tighten it up after ive removed the pump ??

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im sorry mate but its definatly the air con pump that tensions the belt and that the total reason i posted the question

·
Registered
37 Posts
99motegi said:
im sorry mate but its definatly the air con pump that tensions the belt and that the total reason i posted the question

is it a usdm prelude? i guess it may be different if it wasnt a usdm but on the usdm ones it is definitely the alternater that adjusts the belt.. and when i removed my a/c like 3 weeks ago the belt size to go just around the alternater and crank pulley was a 37 5/8" belt.. and make sure you get the right ribbed belt(cant remember if it was 5 or 6 ribbed)

all this was on my h23 1992... h22s may be different, not sure tho

·
old dog w/new tricks
1,586 Posts
Bring this one back from the dead. Just had to bypass the compressor on my wifes 96 SI w/2.3 and a 37" belt worked perfectly. Left the compressor in place till I can get a new clutch kit for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts