Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have that on my car for like a month now and i noticed i loss gas mileage!!! wtf??? like i would usually get to 300 miles before my gas light would come on but now its only around 280?? wtf is that ****? i thoguth i was supose to get better gas mileage, or is it maybe im revving it too much =P

·
Registered
468 Posts
I had the same problem when I got mine but it was just because I stept on the gas harder everytime just to hear the intake groan, I stopped doing that and my gas milage was normal again.

------------------
Black 95 GSR
17x7 ALT 159
205/40 Yokohama's
AEM CAI
Comptech ss catback exhaust
Dc sports 4-2-1 headers
ground control coilovers w/koni adj shocks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same exact problem and yes it is because you love the sound of the VTEC engaging. Once you get over it you'll be back up to 300. I get about 325 city per tank after all mods were on.

------------------

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
280 is all I get on a good Week.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
yeah wht the heck. i get like 400km/tank, thats around 250mi...

are you guys filling up when the fuel light goes on?

imo, that damn fuel light turns on too early. when it turns on, and i fill up, it only fills up around 45L which means i have another 15L left in the car! so that probably accounts for why i'm only getting 400KM per fill.

i'm paranoid so i always just fill up the instant the light turns on hehehe...

paranoia sucks

·
Registered
332 Posts
i dunno, ive done my mileage many times and its always between 23-25mpg. car isnt completely stock, either. i know it prob. doesnt make a difference but what octane are u guys puttin in? i put in 93

later

·
Registered
810 Posts
The fuel light on my 4th gen comes on really early also - I usually have at least 3 gallons left when the light comes on. I've been down to 0 blocks on my guage before, and then I fill up, and still it's only like 14 gallons or so. It seems to me that the reason for this on the 4th gens is that the digital fuel guage seems to adjust in real-time based on current usage.

LLL

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
ive always had about 230 miles on a full tank. practically ever BEFORE i was modding! weird...

------------------

Crystal Blue 99' SS Lude (born on 7/1/99)~when i got it
PERFORMANCE MODS:
-AEM CAI (silver)-DC Sports CC 4-2-1 Headers
-Tanabe Racing Medalion -UR pulleys SS (3 piece)
-Apexi V-AFC -Autometer A/F gauge -Autometer EGT gauge -zex kit w/ plugs running 55 shots -NOS purge kit *no more performance mods will be added*
NON-PERFORMANCE:
-Panasonic CQ-DF800U
screen name: CBFORMULA

[This message has been edited by Ng Luder (edited April 08, 2001).]

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
this is how my car is, i would get 300 miles to a full tank, my ce engline lights go on when i have 2 bars left(4th gen) and then i would drive and it would creep back to 3 bars and 2 bars and 3 bars etc. do any of u 4th gen have this problem? where the gas display is not accurate, like when i fill up my tank, i could go 80 miles and not even lose a single bar of gas, but after about 100 miles the bars goes down really fast to compensate for it not going down the first 80 miles? any one have this problem?

·
Crunk + Hyphy = Sam
4,989 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
exactly.
but then i always fill-up before the light comes on. i get paranoid since i do have a lead foot.
</font>
I tried to beat the light once, thinking I could make it to the gas station in time. OMG, I suddenly lost power and was pissed! I was only 1 mile from the gas station. I'm stubborn
A good summaritan came to help before my friend arrived, so it was all good.
SAM

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
unless you guys are driving 60 in 2nd gear all the time, there's no way you're getting 2xx miles per tank. it's a 16 gallon tank!

16 * 25 = 400
16 * 20 = 320

if you ran it totally dry, you'd get between 320 and 400. don't pay attention to the light - it comes on really early.

·
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
unless you guys are driving 60 in 2nd gear all the time, there's no way you're getting 2xx miles per tank. it's a 16 gallon tank!

16 * 25 = 400
16 * 20 = 320

if you ran it totally dry, you'd get between 320 and 400. don't pay attention to the light - it comes on really early.
</font>
i live in nyc, there's always traffic. who knows when i'll be stuck in it for 2 hrs??? i don't wanna be on the side of the highway looking like a fool cuz i ran outta gas. i'd rather not take that chance.

i guess i'm just paranoid. but i'd feel much better w/ a full tank of gas.

[This message has been edited by imagepree (edited April 09, 2001).]

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
the best way to look at it is this....

The H22A series engine is most efficient at around 3200 rpms....it runs too rich at lower rpms to be efficient and too much power at higher rpms to be very efficient...

I've noticed...that when I can get on the highway and drive at ~65-75 mph for a few hours, my mileage goes ZOOOOM!!! UP! easily over 26mpg....it's just that when you spend a buncha time in 1st-3rd accelerating and decelerating, you have to pass through those inefficient zones much more often....

either way...who gives a flying shiznit about mileage!? VTEC BABY!

------------------
2000 Ficus Green Prelude - Powered by WAAAAAAAAH PPPSSSHSHHH

What stands between a Prelude Driver and an ear to ear grin? About 5500 RPMs!

my next mod:
Larger Picture

·
Registered
474 Posts
I always thought it was BAD to let your car run when it was low on fuel?? I NEVER let the gas light come one.. I usually never have less then a 1/4 tank when I fill her up. I thought it could be bad for a whole host of reasons to run your car down to 'E' on a regualer basis?? is this true or am I just over paranoid???

However I did do a little experiment not too long ago... I filled up the tank as usual, and drove how I normally do, lots of vtec and stop and go traffic, and got around 260 miles to that tank.. I DID take this tank down to the Fuel light though.. When I filled up the next time, I drove SUPER conservative... on highway NEVER about 65 and i NEVER VTECed either.. drove the car till the fuel light came on.. BAM 360.. WOW what a big diff.. but I rather spend more money on gas and REALLY enjoy driving then get that extra 100 miles..

Andres

------------------
1994 VTEC
Eibach Pro-kit, KYB AGX shocks, AEM CAI, AEM pullies, Thermal exhaust.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts