Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
sis0rueN
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, before you all start screaming "YES!!!" and "Shouldn't have gotten a SLUSHBOX in the first place!" ... hear me out.

I love my SS Prelude... but I have reached some limits as far as spirited driving, setting up for corners, etc. I think having more control, in a manual version of the same car, would help.

Now... I still owe about $6k on my Lude. I just don't have the money or desire to "upgrade" to another dream car (350z, s2000, STI, Evo, etc...) because I would have to roll that $6k into whatever car loan I get.

I could trade over (at a dealer) for a Manual, 00 or 01 Prelude, and only end up adding a grand or two to my loan, and also re-finance it at another 5 years if I want (lowering my car pmnt to about $150 a month)...

So, do you all think it'd be worth it? I still love how the Prelude looks, and feels... and I know its not "fast" ... but she's nimble. Plus, I have I/H/E/P and suspension that I could just swap over.

I just don't know...
:confused:

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I always felt I had more control over the car with a manual, the whole car just makes it feel differnt to me since I control when to shift and dont have to wait to downshift into a corner

·
less whore than before
3,648 Posts
That's what I did and I haven't looked back since. Yeah it's may cost you a little more in the long run, but it will be well worth it. Hope that helps.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
id say go for it....you wont regret it

·
Baller....
565 Posts
I am in the same situation as you man, i considered the swap but it would feel ghetto to me, i would rather have a car that was built as a 5speed,i am selling mine now after a trans rebuild and getting a 5 speed.Trade it in or try to sell it outright.

·
sis0rueN
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with you guys. I think the main question I was getting at was - Should I go with another Prelude? Are there any other cars that I should consider? I *REALLY* like my Prelude though... :) :)

·
sis0rueN
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now I just have to find the Prelude. I can return my car back to stock ... everything except the base rear/side skirts (I put CBM SH skirts on) and Base Rims (I'm really gonna miss having SH wheels, if I get a manual BASE. Blah)

Wish me luck! :)

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
if you can get out of the SS an into a manual w/o losin much money (if any at all ;) ) then I'd definitely recommend it....I thought bout changin too (I had a SS cuz I was too lazy an sittin in traffic a lot) but I changed jobs an don't sit in traffic anymore :( so I wish that I had gotten into a manual sooner....I'm at the point now where it wouldn't be a good idea for me :(

I've already paid off my 2001 (1.5 years :D ) an I've got too many things on my car already....it'd suck havin to take them all off an go back to stock :( if I could find a good 5th gen manual prelude in great condition an I wouldn't be losin money (only losin time goin back to stock) then I'd probably jump on it :bigthumb:

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Well,

The auto and the manual are very different.

I've had both in the same car, so I think I'm pretty well aquianted with both.

Manual Pros:

- Closer gear ratios
- More power to the wheels
- Quicker reaching of top end speeds above 110 MPH
- Fewer maint issues

Auto Pros:

- No clutch, great for traffic
- 1:1 final drive ratio for crusing at high speeds. (better high speed gas milage) [locked torque converter]

Manual Cons:

- Replacement of clutch kit every so many miles.
- Infamous 2nd / 5th gear problems.

Auto Cons:

- Low servicable life
- High cost of repair
- Difficulty of repair

-Gerhard

·
sis0rueN
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: Found a 2001 Base Prelude with 15,xxx miles at a local dealer... but they want $19,998 for it. a little out of my range. I am gonna try and get the price down, and take my car in for appraisal. I don't know what I should expect for trade in... maybe $14k? KBB trade in value is about $14-$15k, and the car is in excellent condition.

Anyone have trade in experiences? How much did you get? I know I would get more if I sold it outright, but I don't think it'll sell that quickly...

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have recently decided not to do what you are thinking about. My car is paid off, and even if I sell back the remainder of the extended warranty to Honda I will lose money trying to trade in for a manual. Infact, even if I can sell my car to a private party and buy a manual from someone else, I will lose close to 1000 not to mention the time I will be without a car. You may as well just keep your car until the "end" of its life and then get a new car.

·
sis0rueN
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone else with trade in info? Kinda looking to see what I should expect when they appraise it...

·
Registered
57 Posts
i would not refinance just pay the thing off asap, the manual for $1G is not bad but is it necessiary.......?

·
Registered
385 Posts
you think that they are going to offer you that much mulla for your SS on trade in?

Usually they like to mill you over the preverbably coals.

I would only exspect to see around 12k at the most for trade in on your SS lude :)

I cant hate because i have the SS also... I want the 5 spd gear box like i want Winona Ryder shopplifting something out of my pants :bigthumb:

·
sis0rueN
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
THUNDERCAT98 said:
you think that they are going to offer you that much mulla for your SS on trade in?

Usually they like to mill you over the preverbably coals.

I would only exspect to see around 12k at the most for trade in on your SS lude :)

I cant hate because i have the SS also... I want the 5 spd gear box like i want Winona Ryder shopplifting something out of my pants :bigthumb:
Lol.... nice quote.

ANyways, when talking to my local dealer, he said they would pretty much give Blue Book for the car... when I asked "Within HOW much?" he said "Within about 5-600 dollars." ...

Just wondering what others had experienced. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
If you do this, please let me know how it goes for you.

I may be following suit, I just got my car and its been in the shop 3 times within a 6 mo. period.

It had nothing to do with the tranny...

yet.

I dont wanna wait and see though.

But to tell you, the girlies dont know the difference when they see the ride...

All they know is there is a stick that makes it go into Reverse and Drive.

:bigthumb:

·
sis0rueN
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, the one car I am gonna take a look at this weekend would actually turn me up about $3k on my loan...

But, I am looking at it this way. I currently have a 00 Prelude with almost 50k miles.
The one I am looking at is an 01, with only 15k miles. It would be like trading UP and getting a newer, lower mileage car. Almost like a new car. It also has the HondaCare 100k warranty.

I am still deciding... it might happen, might not... but we'll see when I drive it.

Oh, and I am not worried about what the girlies think... I already have a girl. :) I am looking for more FUN and more CONTROL when driving.

I have also been considering trading for a used WRX... about the same price range... Mmmm.. AWD... TURBO... mmmm... :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
to give you an idea of the trade in, I had a clean, 98 SS with 55K miles on it with the extended warranty and they offered my 10,500 for it. However they wanted 18k for their 2000 Base with 36K miles - I think that's why they offered me so much for a trade in otherwise I may have been offered even 9K or less.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts