Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was driving in my boss' truck in LA in rush to get back to work and got into a minor accident =(

I was at a 4 way interection where one road didn't have stop signs (both roads were 1 lane each dir) and I was stopped on the road that does have stop signs.
Well, I was planning on going straight but the traffic was too heavy, so my friend just said **** it turn right....
There was a car a little ways down so I started my turn right.....

Anyways, what caused the accident was that this hyundai elantra crept up next to me to turn right and the very tip of the rear bumper on the truck snagged the front bumper of the hyundai and ripped it out during my right turn.

Well my question is, in your opinions, is it LEGALLY completely my fault? If there's a one lane street, is he allowed to try to creep by to turn right? Another thing to keep in mind is that I started moving first.....
I thought it was my fault, but then my friends said that it was his.... they were saying, signal or no signal, he shoudn't have tried to creep by in a 1 lane street.
Another question, I didn't want my insurance to go up, so I asked him if he was willing to deal with it without insurance. In other words, I give him cash without calling insurance. Fixing his car involves his front bumper and his driver's side front headlight. It was a older 1995 hyundai elantra, but I'm thinking that he'll go an get an estimate for over 1000.... so i'm worried now cause i only have 600 to spare right now..... I'm thinking about just calling insurance.....

my plan right now is to wait for his estimate, if its over 600, then I'll ask to take it through insurance. Damn 1st accident on my record.....
will 1 accident make my insurance go up THAT much?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Not sure who your insurance provider is but your insurance shouldn't go up TO much. I have Geico and I had a $4500 accident in my 1st car along with 9 points and my insurance never skyrocketed like i thoght it would.....

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If there is no damage to your truck I just wouldnt pay for the other guys damage. If he tries to get you to pay it just tell him that you werent at fault and that he will have to go through his own insurance co. to get it covered. There is no way to prove whose fault it was if no police report was filed. Theres nothing he can do that will make you have to pay for his damage.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I agree, if there was no report filed tell him to go screw himself. He can't claim anything on you w/o a police report so he'll just have to deal with it. Also theres a lesson to always get a report no matter what if your car is dammaged.

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
It will skyrocket no offence but i got murphy insurance ya i know im in mass, but i had a accident where this bimbo hit me, but yet it was still my fault :rolleyes:
my insurance went up $300.00 imagine that for the next 5 years :mad:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks A LOT for the advice guys....

are you guys SURE that this guy can't do anything without a police report?

I talked to a few other friends who've had experience in this stuff, and they said that it sounds like its his fault.

Another thing is, I was driving my bosses truck, and I found out that HIS insurance would cover it, but also that HIS insurance would go up if it turned out that it was my fault. I can't have his insurance go up on account of me. So I can probably win it, but its not even my insurance on the line, so I don't know if i wanna take that risk.

-thanks so much for your help guys......

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
i dont think youre at fault ...no report no proof....

id be ****tin bricks if i got into an accident with my bosses truck...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys.... gonna tell him that I wanna go through insurance because I think he's at fault.... THANKS GUYS .....

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The only problem with going through your bosses insurance co. is that even though it wasnt your fault you cant prove that and his rates will probably go up because you filed a claim. This is not always the case, but it wouldnt surprise me. The other guy cant do anything to you because he has absolutely no proof. Good Luck bro.

·
Registered
457 Posts
i'm not too sure if it was your fault or his, but...

you guys really think no police report means nothing they can do?? i managed to have the insurane company paid for the accident damage 2 times, both times the other person's insurance paid for everything.

i know it usually doesn't happen, but i'm saying if it was your fault, you should be responsible and not like "i don't care cuz there's no police report." and i hate people who cannot be responsible for their own fault.

·
KG6TWI
1,796 Posts
You dont need a police report to file a claim, it just makes it harder to prove fault.

But if you have a little green paint or some scratches on your bumper, and he has some black paint and some scratches on his car....
Who are they going to belive? A couple of kids? He doesnt even have to say that the accident happened in the place you say it did. Do you have any wittness's to prove otherwise?

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts