Honda Prelude Online banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Guys, the one thing nobody here is talking about is brake bias. If you change the piston diameter (e.g. the calipers), then brake bias is going to change. If the RL calipers have increased piston area, which is likely, then you are making brake bias worse and not better. Worse bias will lead to longer stopping distances. Make sure you upgrade the rears if you are doing something like this.
I know it's an old post, but...

Edit:
It may lead to longer stopping distances, because you're not using all 4 corners at maximum efficiency. It also causes different braking dynamics around turns. The fronts will lock up faster than the rears - they do already, with the stock bias being roughly 75:25. Changing the bias by increasing the piston diameter, the pad size, and the rotor diameter is probably a lot! I am sure no one has calculated the difference, but I think I know a brake engineer who can do some math for me. :)

Anyway, doing this without doing an upgrade to the rear to match will change your biases enough that braking around a turn will probably become dangerous - if your front locks up you will slide off the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I've buyed Acura RL 06 caliper and I want know with which rotor you have installed on your Prelude? I'm french and I don't find rotor in 12.6" bolt on my Prelude 5th...

If you tell me this informations, it'll great!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Wilwood Kit cost me $789 and came with rotors, race pad, calipers, brake lines and the adapter to space the caliper farther out.

So he's saving almost $200 on it...

But I believe i will ultimately have a larger selection of brake pads to choose from because Wilwood makes alot of different kinds.

Still, his plans for the RL calipers are pretty cool and I'm hoping on some photographs and a write up.
Part #(s) on the Wilwood kit?

41 - 44 of 44 Posts