Honda Prelude Online banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
wow this is impressive. Can you answer a couple questions?
Where are the 12.6" rotors from? Would the calipers not fit on the stock 5th gen rotors?
Also, would you be willing to make some more of the rotor brackets to bolt up to the hub? I would be very very interested in those.

great great job though!
Can't tell you where the 12.76 rotors are from yet ;) but I will.....
The stock 5th Gen rotor are too thin and there wouldn't be enough clearance between the hub and bracket to put the caliper any closer to the center. But then again anything is possible if you push the limits.

At the end of the project I'll see how much interest there is. If enough people want it I'll make some. But of course I want to make sure that everything holds up first.

if you shaved the acura letters off, would you still have clearance issues?
Once I shave off the letters there will be more room but still not enough to avoid using spacers. If I had a rim that had spoke that continued straight across instead of folding back to form a lip there wouldn't have been clearance issues.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
so i would contact them wanting to buy 350z/g35 brambo rotors to fit a 5th gen prelude? and now to find the calipers....they are like almost 800 from the dealer.
Just tell them you want to use the RL calipers on your Lude with the 350z rotors and they'll do the rest. The calipers usually go for about $250-300 on ebay just make sure they come with the brake pads and pad clips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Do you have these bolted up yet, at all?
Once winter is officially over I'll bolt them up. I did a test fit on the spare knuckle and all the clearances were on point. The only difference between this BBK and an aftermarket kit is price. Also, the thickness makes them more stable and less likely to wobble if or when they reach extreme temperatures.

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
Guys, the one thing nobody here is talking about is brake bias. If you change the piston diameter (e.g. the calipers), then brake bias is going to change. If the RL calipers have increased piston area, which is likely, then you are making brake bias worse and not better. Worse bias will lead to longer stopping distances. Make sure you upgrade the rears if you are doing something like this.

·
I'm white
10,561 Posts
which would be better the Stock acura brakes or an aftermarket set like wilwood or brembo?
To answer this you would need to know what your application is.

For looks, I guess that's an opinion.

For actual performance, well you won't notice the difference in each setup on the street. Again, it could degrade braking distances.

I would go for an aftermarket company because they usually (hopefully) think about the bias when designing a kit for these cars.

I know with certain applications, they have specific sets if you are replacing front only or both front and rear calipers to retain bias.

I'm sure honda didn't think about that whenever they put on these calipers on the RL. "hey I wonder if someone with a prelude is going to put this on their car"

·
Registered
46 Posts
I need to bring this thread back from the dead because I really want to do this upgrade on my 4th gen vtec! Everything looks straightforward enough, I just have a couple of minor questions.
1. The bracket must be fabricated yes? Or did you get those off of fastbrakes.com as well?
2. Since I have the vtec brakes, which are the same as the 5th gen except for bolt pattern, can I still keep my rotors at the stock size? I guess the answer would be yes, if the bracket is fabricated.

Also, I have the version one super advan 3 spokes in 17x8, I think +35.. I think the RLs should clear okay, no ?

21 - 40 of 44 Posts