Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my RL 4 Piston caliper OEM big brake kit pieced together. It's comprised of the OEM 05 RL Calipers, 6060T aluminum brackets, stainless lines, bolts and 12.76 rotors. The complete kit weighed in at 31.2lbs and I'm sure that the large rotor will slow down my car because of the increased rotating mass. Once I pull of the stock package I'll also weigh it for comparison. In a couple of days I'm going to test fit it under my Volks to see how much room there is. I plan on painting or anodizing the calipers, shaving down the Acura symbol for the flushed look or I might get some custom engravery. Currently EBC is the only company that makes race pads for these calipers.

So far the total cost of the kit has been $600 which is not that bad at all considering the size.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I hope they do end up fitting on your wheels so you won't have to use spacers and wheel stud extenders like I did :(
I'm thinking that at most I'll need 5mm spacers. But the negative camber will keep the rubber tucked in.

I sure hope you aren't using track pads for the street...
Not at all. I have the stock pads that came with the calipers for daily use and i'll install the race pads before I head on the track.

Once everything is installed I'll make sure to do a detailed write up with pics.

·
Merovingeon
561 Posts
Keep us updated on this! How does it compare cost wise with the Wilwood BBK?

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
The Wilwood Kit cost me $789 and came with rotors, race pad, calipers, brake lines and the adapter to space the caliper farther out.

So he's saving almost $200 on it...

But I believe i will ultimately have a larger selection of brake pads to choose from because Wilwood makes alot of different kinds.

Still, his plans for the RL calipers are pretty cool and I'm hoping on some photographs and a write up.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I am wondering if I did get the race pads in it though... the car has very good stopping power and without ABS now, I lock up the wheels pretty easily, but they hardly dust at all. I hear some squealing every now and then at very low stopping speeds, but that's usually a sign I had to retorque the wheel lug nuts because my spacers moved the wheels so far out and I think it created a kind of mild warping effect on the spacers... It's not like they were visibly warped, but tightening the lug nuts would cure the problem for at least a week.

And yes, I always torque them to 80ft/lbs.

·
Warning: User Senile
2,585 Posts
I am wondering if I did get the race pads in it though... the car has very good stopping power and without ABS now, I lock up the wheels pretty easily, but they hardly dust at all. I hear some squealing every now and then at very low stopping speeds, but that's usually a sign I had to retorque the wheel lug nuts because my spacers moved the wheels so far out and I think it created a kind of mild warping effect on the spacers... It's not like they were visibly warped, but tightening the lug nuts would cure the problem for at least a week.

And yes, I always torque them to 80ft/lbs.
uhm, you worry me.

yes, race pads will squeal when cold/more when hot lol.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thats a sick setup. I have been looking for a good upgrade, but can't find anything much better that will fit under a 15" wheel and I am sure you would need at LEAST a 16" for this setup. Can't wait to hear the review.

·
Registered
127 Posts
pics for sure man, id like to see it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I gave my mechanic a call yesterday to see if I could get an oil change and he started to gloat about how he just upgraded from his Willwood BBK to a 5th Gen Stoptech kit($1600). Because he has a 4th Gen (with a K24:eek:) he purchased a set of 5th Gen hubs and had laying around for the conversion. So I grabbed my BBK, rim and camera and rushed over to the local fastener shop to purchase a couple more hardened bolts and then I was off to the shop.

The bracket bolted up with no clearance issues.

The rotor was perfectly machined to fit on the hub but still needs to have fastener holes drilled to secure it.

As I figured my rims needed 5mm of clearance to fit properly over the calipers. A couple of months ago I test fit them over DC5R Brembos (Yes
DC5R Brembos bolt on to 5th Gen hubs) and had the same clearance issues.

It looks like my Volks have less clearance under the spoke because they bend back to expose the polished lip. Regardless the kit fits perfectly and will look better once the Acura symbol is shaved and the calipers are painted.

(calipers were not bolted on for this pic)

So I’m left to two options, get 5mm spacers or sell my Volks and get a set of 17X8 Advan RGII with a 35 offset:D.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
wow this is impressive. Can you answer a couple questions?
Where are the 12.6" rotors from? Would the calipers not fit on the stock 5th gen rotors?
Also, would you be willing to make some more of the rotor brackets to bolt up to the hub? I would be very very interested in those.

great great job though!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts