Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yea...i searched FAQ, but didnt find what im looking for. i wanted to know anyone who has done a SI--->VTEC head swap...how much did u end up PAYING? thanx

later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
go to superhonda.com(sorry guys, but there is some info there on this). a guy there did one. it turned into quite a job, but he did put together everything needed to do it. it wont be that cheap, if it was me i'd spend a little more money and get a turbo, plus you'll have more power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by not rice:
yea...i searched FAQ, but didnt find what im looking for. i wanted to know anyone who has done a SI--->VTEC head swap...how much did u end up PAYING? thanx

later
</font>
Ahh I asked the same thing. And I was strictly told that it was not worth it. Not only is it expensive as hell but you will spend hundreds on hours tinkering with the engine to get her into running condition. I was told it's a job you don't wanna try....but that's just my 2 cents!


PS. Why do u want to do that? Is it that whole silver/non v-tec thing that I am pondering upon?

Sean

------------------
"drive fast, be yorself, and party till she's cute!

Originally posted by some canadian guy:
Like I said, Road trip - baseball bat


Originally posted by malken00:
Everyone has their own opinion, even if they're wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by some canadian guy:
Ahh I asked the same thing. And I was strictly told that it was not worth it. Not only is it expensive as hell but you will spend hundreds on hours tinkering with the engine to get her into running condition. I was told it's a job you don't wanna try....but that's just my 2 cents!


PS. Why do u want to do that? Is it that whole silver/non v-tec thing that I am pondering upon?

Sean

</font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oops. im not worried about the work...i can handle it
. itll be cool to add some power in a way not many people think to. im just wondering about the cost, i know theres a lot of pieces involved
. i feel it is a safer mod (4 the engine) than a turbo!

thanx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,404 Posts
A guy named Toddman did it on SHO. He is the only one I can think of that actually drives it. It has been a while so I don't know what he is currently up to.

The dyno you guys are talking about was done by atomic at www.importreview.com. Just dig around and you'll find it. It has a couple bolt ons, but still impressive.

I was thinking about doing this, but there is no one in my area that has conquered this.

A ballpark estimate would be 3 to 4 thousand; if you want it done right.

JP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jpprelude:
Just dig around and you'll find it. It has a couple bolt ons, but still impressive.
</font>
Actually it had no bolt ons, it's stock except for type S pistons and a VTEC head. For all that work I don't think it was really all that impressive.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
One think to keep in mind, if it's strictly for drag that's fine. But taking curves would be
. You'll have Oversteer.

------------------

------------------
Toronto PreLude Club
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
800 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jbx:
One think to keep in mind, if it's strictly for drag that's fine. But taking curves would be
. You'll have Oversteer.

</font>
How are you going to get oversteer out of a head swap. granted the VTEC head (and assorted wiring/sensors/etc.) probably weighs more but I doubt it weighs enough to throw off the handling that much. It's not like dropping a H22A into a civic HB.

Gabe

------------------
97 Prelude
see it here:Hondaprelude.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
now i feel like im getting talked out of swapping! i havent put a header on it yet b/c i was waiting. now i think a header will just have to do. ive heard the best about DC's SS. i dont want my sh!t to crack. the color change doesnt bother me...ill work on keeping it clean. would you all suggest something else?? let me know...summer is coming and i won't wanna be slow in the nice weather.

thanx
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by not rice:
now i feel like im getting talked out of swapping! i havent put a header on it yet b/c i was waiting. now i think a header will just have to do. ive heard the best about DC's SS. i dont want my sh!t to crack. the color change doesnt bother me...ill work on keeping it clean. would you all suggest something else?? let me know...summer is coming and i won't wanna be slow in the nice weather.

thanx
</font>
You should be talked out of it b/c:
- Look at honest dynos; an H23 with an H22 head and *similar* mods as a straight H22 engine make about the same power- the extra .1L displacement doesn't make that much difference.
- Oil sprayers. The H23 was NOT equipped with the piston oil sprayers the H22 was. H23/VTEC hybrids are notorious for failing early. The VTEC redline and oil-hungry nature spell death for the non-sprayed H23. On top of it, the H22 sprayers don't clear the crank on the H23, you'll have to cusom fab one or get in the habit of replacing your block when you punch a hole in it.

The H23 swap, while it might be attractive b/c it's "different" or cheap, is a bad idea in the long run. Get a used H22 and build that up if you want more power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,404 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gabe:
Actually it had no bolt ons, it's stock except for type S pistons and a VTEC head. For all that work I don't think it was really all that impressive.

Gabe

</font>

You're right Gabe, my fault. I was reading something else at the same time.

Yeah, .1 liter is alright if you are going all out crazy monster motor, but for all reasonable purposes, it is overkill.

Sorry we have all talked you out of it, but it is for the better.

There were a bunch of guys that have started to try it but gave up.


JP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok! now that u guys have talked me OUT of some h22 action, now u gotta talk me INTO some kinda header! thanks in advance


later
 

·
PO.com veteran
Joined
·
3,124 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by some canadian guy:

Is it that whole silver/non v-tec thing that I am pondering upon?

Sean
</font>
I have silverand VTEC


------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by not rice:
ok! now that u guys have talked me OUT of some h22 action, now u gotta talk me INTO some kinda header! thanks in advance


later
</font>
?!?! talk me into one
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
jpprelude

what do u mean 'when i find one'? how hard can it be to find a header for a 4th gen si! maybe u misread!
i just wanna know what kind anyone would (strongly) suggest.

later
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,404 Posts
I'm sorry, I meant one that was worth my 300+ bucks. I always hear good things about brands followed by bad things.

JP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jpprelude

what header do u have? good experience? yea spending 300-400 bux isnt too thrilling, but really theres not much of a choice when u want a header. EXPERIENCES PEOPLE tell me what u like!

later
 
1 - 20 of 75 Posts
Top