Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

So I decided to hose down my engine bay. I covered a few things with a paper bag, including the fuse box, but I didn't cover the alternator because I wasn't planning on starting the engine for a couple of days after by which time the water that got inside the alternator should have evaporated. Regrettably, the alternator has failed.

After starting the car, the battery warning light came on. Also, the alternator was making a squealing noise. See the video here to hear the sound at 1500 RPM, 1100 RPM and 800 RPM (barely makes any sound at 800 RPM).

Alternator

My battery went flat in just over an hour.

I have checked both the ACG(S) fuse (37) and alternator/fuel pump fuse (12). Both are are fine. I also disconnected the alternator power cable and let it sit overnight to allow any water that may have gotten inside to evaporate. This didn't help.

The fact that the alternator is now making a squealing noise makes me think the problem is mechanical rather than electrical but perhaps its both.

What do others think?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So I cleaned out the alternator connector and the port that it plugs into with two passes of WD-40. These things were filthy! Check it out...

This is the result of the port after the WD-40...

Cleaning the connector and port didn't resolve the issue, so now I am pulling apart the alternator to degrease everything with WD-40 and repack the two bearings with bearing grease.

I have hit a problem dissembling the alternator because Denso wanted to be impractical and seal the case with a shitty design. I am hoping someone can help me with it.

There are four nuts and four of something else with threads that hold the case together. I have removed the nuts but I don't know how to remove the thread things. Check out the photo's to see what I mean...

Does anyone know how these thread things can be removed?

So far, this is what I have removed...

This is the brushes and slip rings. I don't think they are the problem but if anyone can see something that isn't right then please let me know...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I got the nut off and proceeded to separate the alternator housing but can't I do it. Here's a video of me explaining the problem while demonstrating it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, as I suspected, Honda ****ed up the shop manual and the pulley actually does need to come off when replacing the rear bearing. As I damaged the alternator while banging it with a hammer and it's become too much of a hassle to get the parts for a repair, and that I am getting rid of the car in 11000 kilometres, I am just going to get a second hand alternator or an OEM unit to keep me going, what ever's cheaper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
// Face palm // I knew I should have gotten a multimeter to test the alternator when this problem started but I didn't get one due to circumstances outside of my control.

So I fully charged my battery and installed the new alternator and the battery light was no longer coming on. Great I thought, but the belt was squealing a lot, so I started trying to find the cause. After about 30 minutes with the engine running, my battery light turned on again, and it turned on as soon as the fan came on. Perhaps the battery light didn't come on at the start because it was fully charged but then came on when it started to run down.

So I then had a closer look at everything. Knowing it can't be the alternator, I followed the alternator belt and noticed that the crankshaft pulley was wobbling, and when it wobbles it looks like it has split apart. That abnormal pulsing sound is still present and I am wondering if it has something to do with the crankshaft pulley.

The alternator belt is spinning the alternator pulley so the alternator must be charging?! But I don't know. I temporarily tightened the belt even more but it didn't make a difference.

The problem was not happening before this abnormal pulsing sound so what ever is causing this sound probably has something to do with it.

I followed the cable from the alternator to the fusebox. It looks all good. I cleaned the alternator wire connector again with WD-40 and scraped the terminals with a metal paper clip, and even sprayed WD-40 on the alternator wire connection in the fusebox, but nothing has helped. I am starting to lose patience with this car, it is wasting my life and I have started having visions again of a tow truck coming to pick it up and taking it to the wreckers!

If anyone thinks the problem may be something else then please let me know!

Also, does anyone know where in the shop manual I can find the procedure for replacing the crankshaft pulley? I have looked but can't find it.

I have taken some more videos of the problem...

Wobbly crankshaft pulley...

Pulsing sound (really noticeable at 34 seconds), and the battery light comes on with fan...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well I got the alternator belt off the crankshaft pulley tonight and can confirmed it is the culprit to the alternator not charging. The outer part has complete defused from the rubber.

I have been able to have a closer look at the belt. It's no where near as bad as I thought it was. It will easily last till I get rid of the car.

Perhaps me running the power steering with low fluid caused it's pulley to be harder to turn which in turn put pressure on the crankshaft pulley causing the inner and outer part of it to separate. I didn't fully top up my fluid as my car is parked on an incline which is why I was waiting for the bubbles to settle, to get an idea where it was at and top up a little more before I drive it to a flat road to complete fluid top ups.

I have noticed the engine knocking with all the belts off. Just an observation.

So I am not going to buy the special tool to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt and instead will use a hack. I am not going to have a look at hacks tonight as I am tired and need a break from the car but does anyone have any ideas they could share with me?

I also need to know a hack to get it back on again. The replacement crankshaft pulley is from a 1989 Prelude.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts