Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easier way to get a key then by taking it to the dealer. I don't have the red key. I've had several locksmiths come out & they say I need to take it to the dealer & have the computer replaced. They also said that working with prelude transponders are especially painfull. The dealer quoted my $500 +tax,:eek: it's the wrong time of year for me to have that much money to put into it, even though it's my daily driver:(. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you & God bless!

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
My local ACE hardware store sells the keys with chips in them... Not sure how it all works, or if it would work for you but worth a shot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
if you got no keys then you're screwed, dealership might be the only sane way, i once locked my keys inside and freaked out, and i thought that i had to take it to the dealership or something but i called CAA and they opened the car up wid their car jacking tools... but in your case, good luck!

·
Registered
24 Posts
The chip in the keys have nothing to do with unlocking doors or trunk, other than of course being keyed to do so. The chip corresponds with the transponder in the steering column (i think that's where it ultimately is), hence when you turn your key off, you see a green light with a key on it in the dash flash a few times. If you don't have the chip key, or a red key (*gasp* how did you lose your red key), then you can still get in and out of the car, but just not start it.

Sorry for your luck during the holidays. You may have to go to the dealership, may be your only option. Best of luck, hope you find an inexpensive route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My local ACE hardware store sells the keys with chips in them... Not sure how it all works, or if it would work for you but worth a shot.
I work at an ace on weekends... to use the chipped key machine, you need an original. :(

Hope you find a solution to your problem... its sounding like dealer is the only option

·
Registered
48 Posts
IIRC I read somewhere that the stealership might be able to cut you based on your vin number.

Don't quote me on that though.

Good luck.

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
They can cut to your VIN but they can't program it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts