Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I have a 98 Prelude

I was on my way home and I heard flapping coming from the engine bay, I pulled over and noticed my alternator belt was tearing and there was a thread hanging, I decided to drive it home so I would be able to change it

On my way home I came to a stop and then accelerated and the car shut down. There were no bangs or blows just died. I pulled over and the car was ticking over but was not starting.

The car has had its timing belt replaced and the CAM Sensor was replaced about 2 months ago. The car isn't showing any error codes so I don't think its a sensor and the spark plugs had recently been replaced.

Im stuck and have no clue on where to go to resolve the issue

Cheers

·
Registered
29 Posts
hey Mitch, sounds like your battery is low on charge. The starter takes a lot of juice, so if your battery is low on charge then it will make that sound that you are experiencing.

if there is a problem with your alternator, such as a damaged belt, then the alternator will not be able to charge the battery or Supply power to the rest of the system.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi Mitchjh, did you figure out what the problem was? I agree with h22aaccord94, that should be your first place to look at. Is the battery fully charged to 12v? Take a voltmeter and check your voltage.

Let us know if this has been resolved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, if your alternator belt is gone and you are running only off battery you won't very far. Boosting wont help yoi much as the person boosting you wont want to stick around for 30 minutes to try charging your battery for you.

replace belt for Alternator and then boost car and drive for 30 minutes to charge (or use battery charger if you have one).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts