Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Trouble starting cold engine

I have been having a problem with my 98 Prelude SH. My Lude has trouble or does not start at all in the morning. If i do get it to start it stalls when i stop. the stalling stops when the engine warms up. i tried letting it run for about five to ten minutes after i turn it on but after that it still stalls. The thing is that after the car warms up i have no problem starting it up all day, it turns on perfectly. today the car didnt start at all. i checked the sparkplugs and there is some fuel in there. i checked the compression level and it is low. i checked the starter and alternator they are in good condition. If i do happen to get the car running, runs good all day with no problem. ple:confused: PLEASE HELP

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
Have you checked the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve)?
It keeps the idle up when the engine is cold, and also bumps up the idle when accessories like AC and lights are used.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked it but it makes no difference i heard about other people that had the same problem but they didnt find solutions to it. please any more ideas would be welcome.

·
herbivore
1,579 Posts
FWIW I have a similar problem that I've lived with for a few years now. In maybe 90% of starts below 30f, my 98 base will stall after the first start, but will be okay on the second start.

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
If you have a HELMS manual or can get one, you can do some troubleshooting.
Now that you've mentioned fuel being in cylinders when taking out the sparkplugs, you might consider checking the ignition system as well as the idle components.

Search on this site and there are links to .pdf's of the HELMS manual.

***BIG OL' EDIT***

How I forgot to ask this I don't know...
Was the ignition switch recall performed on your car? It is a common problem and I think your symptoms kinda fit.
Any Honda dealer should be able to find out by looking up your VIN.
Even if it has been done, the replacement part might be going bad (small chance though).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i had my ignition serviced already. i just took my car to honda yesterday to have it checked i should have the results by today. i read somewhere that the map sensor has something to do with it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i took my prelude to honda and they saif that it might be a leaky valve but i think they are full of ***t because when warm the car runs like new. they want to charge me 1300 to get the valves checked. they dont guarantee that this might be the problem so if i pay the 1300 and this is not the problem im **** out of luck. ill take any advice because ill be damned if im going to pay 1300 for nothing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no i have not been recently because of the fuel prices. i used a lucas fuel additive i dont know if this might have something to do with the problem. to my understanding preludes need premium fuel to run at full potential. i am willing to fill my car with premium fuel now. if there is regular fuel in my car can i add premium fuel and see results? or do i have to remove the regular fuel and add premium. ill take any suggestion. thank you

·
Registered
72 Posts
thats your problem... bring the tank down to empty, fill it up with premium (as much as it sucks the car won't run properly unless you use premium) and run that whole tank of premium through your car and the problem should be completely gone by the time you fill up next again with premium

·
Unregistered
4,054 Posts
What readings did you get out of the compression test? 5 speed or auto? Was the ignition recall ever performed?

I highly doubt that running 87 octane is the cause of this... Either way, you should run premium, the difference is only $3 - $4 a tank (assuming a spread of 20 cents between regular and premium)

·
B cuz I got it like that.
2,838 Posts
$1300 to "Check" the valves... I would ****ted a purple twinky infront of the guy in a rage.

Cold weather, improper gas, maybe all the accessories on high or full blast... and a cold car... your going to have start problems. The suggestions above are good. I still have weak starts on occasion.... no one mentioned this ... have you checked your VIN to see if your car qualifies for any ignition switch relay replacement? There was a recall on this part.. well.. not a recall.. but Honda is aware of the issue and the install is free unless you have an alarm they have to disrupt.
good luck.... next time post in the 5th Gen section for even faster replies.

edit.. yea someone mentioned the ignition recall.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My car is 5 speed manual. 98 prelude. the car is still in the hands of honda. i told them that i was not going to pay the 1300 because it was nothing but a hunch. the problem is that they did not get the car started so i felt they just kind of guessed about what was wrong with it. The honda dealership told me that three of the four valves had absolutely no pressure, and the fourth one had too much pressure. i went to honda and i had to start the car for them because they could not figure it out. to start my car you have to press the clutch and the gas at the same time. i was wondering if they are honda how could they not figure this out. my question to them was that if there is no pressure on three valves would the car even start? they told me that they were going to have another mechanic take a look at it. another person that was working at honda told me not to pay the 1300 because it was all bull+++t. any advice is welcome. thanks for everyone's help

·
Unregistered
4,054 Posts
So exactly what tests did the dealer run then? Compression, leak down?

And by valves do you mean cylinders? There's 16 valves.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the thing is that the car is in honda right now and if get the car back then i have to waste the three hundred dollars that i have to pay for a full inspection. if they tell me something at honda and it sounds reasonable then i might go with it. the three hundred would be used to pay any kind of labor they might have to do. so i cant really take the car out and put premium fuel

·
B cuz I got it like that.
2,838 Posts
water condensation in the gas line...from cheap gas, possibly - full tank of premium and either fuel system cleaner or stp gas treatment is my simple solution to start.

this whole thing is messed up ...that dealership has you down as being a sucker.. if they asked you for $1300 and you stuck around to get work from this place... sorry to say it.. but your a ****ing idiot.

Go to another mechanic, I dont care if it costs you money to get the car towed..that place is all about $$$ obviously... its a ****ty economy.. and they are trying to bend you over a barrel because nobody is buying cars.

Its times like this that you need to have a relationship with a good mechanic.

Take your car, and get the **** out of that place...unless.. its under warranty and thats the place you purchased the car.

In my opinion there is no way that your 4 CYLINDER CAR IS ONLY FIRING ON 3... YOU WOULD NOTICE A SIGNIFIGANT CHANGE IN POWER, COMPRESSION, DRIVE ABILITY, ETC. STOP BUYING ****ING CHEAP GAS.. IF YOU CANT AFFORD PREMIMUM GAS FOR YOUR PRELUDE, THATS NOT OUR ****ING PROBLEM THAT YOUR KILLING THE ENGINE. PAY THE $1300 AND GET JACKASS TATTOOED ON YOUR FOREHEAD WHILE YOUR AT IT.
OMFG... I THINK WE GOT ANOTHER MONSTAR ON THIS BOARD....AGAIN!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts