Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a stereo out of a 2000 lude. How come the electric plug in the back is different? I thought the Prelude stereos were the same? Am I going to have to get some kind of code or something to get this to work?

·
Registered
27 Posts
In '99 Honda changed the connector on the radio harness. Hence, a '00 radio will not work in a 98 lude and vice versa. You will have to rewire the harness with the proper connector, which can be bought at Bestbuy or elsewhere.

You will also need the radio code. If you get the serial number off the back and call a Honda dealer, they can look up the radio code. The dealership I worked at did it for free if you had the serial number.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats what I get for not doing more research. On 1/06/2012 I asked:

Will a STOCK radio from a 2000 lude go directly into a 98? P.S. with ZERO modification to the harnesses or dash.

That reply was:

I would say yes, as long as they are both USDM (and even then im not sure it would matter)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thats what I get for not doing more research. On 1/06/2012 I asked:

Will a STOCK radio from a 2000 lude go directly into a 98? P.S. with ZERO modification to the harnesses or dash.

That reply was:

I would say yes, as long as they are both USDM (and even then im not sure it would matter)
yeah... I have to hear something from 3 different sources before I completely trust the answer. There is always that one guy that just wants to post for the sake of posting, despite the fact he hasn't a clue what he is talking about.

Live and learn I guess! :)
Easy enough fix with the wiring harness that Berk mentioned. Will look stock from the outside at least.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Bestbuy or other audio places will sell adapter harnesses for aftermarket head units, not for different OEM head units. As far as I know, no company produces OEM radio adapter harnesses.

You have no choice but to hack up the stock harness (not recommended) or get a different radio. The OEM radio in a Prelude is not that great anyway, so it might be a good time to consider getting an aftermarket deck. Installing an aftermarket deck is a little more involved in a Prelude than many other cars because of the acoustic feedback system, but it's not difficult if you understand basic electronic principles and can follow directions. There are several step by step install write-ups available.

On another note:

Some members here are more reputable than others. Blindly trusting the info provided by the first person to respond on any forum is not a good idea.

My advice: in the future, until you've been around a forum long enough to recognize which members know their ass from a hole in the ground, trust no one.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Bestbuy or other audio places will sell adapter harnesses for aftermarket head units, not for different OEM head units. As far as I know, no company produces OEM radio adapter harnesses.

You have no choice but to hack up the stock harness (not recommended) or get a different radio.
Like Indylude said, so can cut and splice the harness from an audio store and make it work at little cost... just a couple of hours of splicing and making sure you hook up correctly.

Def more easy to get the right radio so you can just PLUG then PLAY. The kid that had my car before me yanked all the original stereo stuff out, so unfortunately, I am stuck with a cheap aftermarket system for a little while. would love to go original eventually.
Wouldn't be able to use your head unit unfortunately... I've got a 97.

Didn't know about the change after 98... so that's good to know!

·
Registered
14 Posts
who the hell would wanna make any part of the stereo stock???
am i correct with the understanding that you're trying to drop an OEM head unit in?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea I am putting the stock unit in you Dbag. Who the f%ck asked you. Should I put in a thumpin stereo to play terrible thumpin music that I can turn up real load so hot chicks want to have sex with me? That is soooo cool. Nice picture on your post.

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
who the hell would wanna make any part of the stereo stock???
am i correct with the understanding that you're trying to drop an OEM head unit in?
me, I can't stand anything aftermarket especially those ugly-aiss headunits that never match our Preludes. I will take stock Honda look over anything out there. Speakers? well that's a different story. I am shopping for something better than stock.

Yea I am putting the stock unit in you Dbag. Who the f%ck asked you. Should I put in a thumpin stereo to play terrible thumpin music that I can turn up real load so hot chicks want to have sex with me? That is soooo cool. Nice picture on your post.
no matter how freaking annoying he is, please restrain from insulting him or anyone else. You can express your opinion in a more civil way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea... His post "who the hell would wanna make any part of the stereo stock???. The "who" in the first sentence is referring to me. I think his entire post was aimed at insulting me. By the way that picture in his post is OK? So in closing I think my post was appropriate.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Not to worry... he is one of those kids that is more concerned with the "tinted headlights", swapping out his auto tranny to manual (instead of just buying manual to begin with), and boasting about "loud bass" instead of keeping the car running and on the road. If I had a CAR for everytime I came across someone like that selling for DIRT CHEAP because the stereo took all of their McDonald's paycheck money and they couldn't afford to fix it for inspection... wait.... I have had many of those cars already!

This isn't the first post that lucas decided to blast someone's choice of stereo, then continue to boast about his own. I think he stated that Aerosmith uses his car on tour so that people can hear Steven Tyler's voice over the guitar amplifiers or something in one of his posts.
It's THAT damn LOUD! :) LOL

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
Yea... His post "who the hell would wanna make any part of the stereo stock???. The "who" in the first sentence is referring to me. I think his entire post was aimed at insulting me. By the way that picture in his post is OK? So in closing I think my post was appropriate.
so? it was referring to me as well, and also many others. Who cares what he is saying, because clearly his statement was bs. No one said your post is not appropriate. His was indirectly insulting a certain group of people. Which is fine. That is called ignorance. You on the other hand threw an instigative direct insult, in this case it was "Dbag" followed by a "f%ck". No need to provoke him. Just my 2 cents. ;)

His sig is fine. I don't see any cuss words there. It doesn't contain nudity, lewd pictures (sexually suggestive), racist, offensive language, illegal acts, etc. <--------------------this is part of the sig rules

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
His sig is fine. I don't see any cuss words there. It doesn't contain nudity, lewd pictures (sexually suggestive), racist, offensive language, illegal acts, etc. <--------------------this is part of the sig rules
I suppose...
we have emoticons that give TWO birds ( :malken: )
A murderous emoticon with a hatchet ( :chase: )
And a flag that basically says Bu!!sh!t
( :bsflag: )
So I guess that his large middle finger sig pic would be okay.

But, I believe many post-er's intentions to be purposely provoking. There are ways to disagree with someone's ideas without doing just that... provoking. This thread is about installing a stock stereo into his prelude (a 5th gen, which is completely different from Lucas' 1992 lude) not an aftermarket head. Had he read the entire thread, he may have been better informed as to what the thread is about, and might not have posted at all.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey Lucassidor, stop provoking people or you will be given a wedgie and beat into a pulp with golf sticks.

Ok, there. Happy?
I guess that 10 lashings with a wet noodle is no longer being used? :D

·
The Collector
2,721 Posts
What do I need to get the code? If I buy a head unit do I need the original VIN on the car it came out of?
You can get the code at the Honda dealership. It's the only place I know where to get it. Sorry.

They might also charge quite a lot just to get the code.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts