Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some advice, I recently bought a 1997 Honda Prelude, had about 100k miles on it, and it started having a problem when I tried to start it when the engine was hot. I took it into the dealer last week, they did a tune up replaced the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, ignition wires, oil, and filter. Everything seemed cool, in the last two times I have taken it out of town and come back, it has the same hot start problem (like I came back from a small trip, parked it for 45 minutes, go back to start it, and it won't start unless I give it some gas). Doesn't happen in the mornings.

Any ideas as to what it might be?

Anyone had similar kinds of issues?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Greg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! You know, when the engine is hot, and I'll turn the key in the ignition, the tachometer will rev normally, but instead of the engine kicking over and starting, it shuts off. So I don't think it cranks when I start it, I have to give it gas in order for the engine to crank. Someone told me it could be the fuel filter, but that didn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hmm seems like you have to give it air to compensate for the fuel. clean the throttle body out. get a rag and some throttle plate cleaner and clean it. also you may want to clean out your iacv "idle air control valve"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts