Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my first car, an '89 Prelude Si 5 speed! All was going well, but then I had a radiator tube break. I took it to a mechanic who had it fixed in no time. Then I left the garage, drove down the street and my speedometer stopped working. Mechanic said it wasn't his doing and would charge another $80 to look at the problem, not including any repair or new part costs. Should I just bite the bullet and take my car back in or is fixing my speedometer something within the scope of the mechanically handicapped?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Hi Benji, welcome to the forum. There's not a lot of activity in the 3rd gen section of this forum anymore. But I'll see if I can help you out with your speedo problem.

First of all, where in E. WA are you located? Your location says Chenye, but did you mean Cheney? I'm in E. WA too.

So, it's gonna depend on what the problem is as to how much work will be involved. The 88/89 3rd gen speedometer is cable driven. The cable plugs into the transmission case down under the distributor. What exactly did the shop have to replace? If it was the lower radiator hose, it's possible that they inadvertently unplugged the cable, or even damaged it.

Does the odometer still work? If neither the odometer or the speedo are working, then it's probably a problem with the cable. If the odometer works but the speedometer doesn't, then the problem is in the gauge cluster. Check that out and report back.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I did mean to put Cheney not Chenye. The tube they replaced was actually located just below the disruptor cap. It was a tube measuring about 6 inches long and I don't believe they could have replaced it without first removing the cap. As for the odometer it worked for a little bit long than the speedometer but then it stopped turning too, shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
481 Posts
It's entirely possible that they dislodged or broke your speedometer cable when replacing the hose down there. That's the area where the cable is mounted to the transmission. If they are a reputable shop they should have taken a look at it to see if they caused the problem with your speedometer.

You can trace the speedometer cable down to where it connects to the transmission. The yellow arrow in the attached pic is pointing to the speedometer cable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, I followed the cable down to the transmission and it appears as if it had been pulled out of another wire near the bottom. With blind optimism I put the cables back together and of course nothing happened....

·
Registered
481 Posts
The cable attaches to the transmission, there are no wires involved for 88/89 models. The end of the cable plugs into the piece that is below the distributor. Some call this piece the vss, so for arguments sake I'll call it that. Then there is a clip that secures the end of the cable to keep it from becoming detached. If that clip is missing the speedo cable won't stay plugged in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it working again, thanks so much for your help. Wouldn't have been able to do it without you picture.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone. I just got my 1989 Honda Prelude and the speedometer cable wasn't connected and I can't find where to put. Can someone explain to me where exactly it is and Colfax i got most of the way there because of you. So thank you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yea I had this same problem too when I first got my 88. Mine was swapped with a B21a1 so Im not 100% positive that we've got the same transmission, but on mine it was towards the engine wall side of the transmission. Youd have to lock it into place with a pin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts