Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new to owning a Prelude. Mine is a SOHC 2.0L. I cannot locate the Automatic Tranny dipstick or filler tube. My tranny is shifting really hard and it revs super high into second before it actually shifts. I want to change/check the tranny fluid but i cannot locate were to do this at. Also this morning wile engine was cold it was sputtering for a minute and not running so hot under load. I changed the spark plug wires and plugs. Any help suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I don't own an auto, but I've seen a few in the junkyards. If I remember correctly, the dipstick is located on the front of the transmission. Look in this area, circled in yellow in this pic...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes i found it. It seems rather hard to check it while the engine is running underneath all this stuff. Any suggestions? How should i che3ck it? Most vehicles you check it while its running. please help....THANKS FOR THE REPLY!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
This is directly from the owner's manual. I don't have a scanner, so I'll have to type it out for you, lol.

The automatic transmission fluid level is checked (with the engine off and the car on level ground) using the dipstick in the right end of the transmission housing. Remove the dipstick and wipe it off.

(drawing showing location of the dipstick)

Insert the dipstick and remove it. The fluid level should be between the upper and lower marks.
If necessary, add fluid and recheck. Use only DEXRON or DEXRON II Automatic Transmission Fluid (A.T.F.) when adding or changing fluid.
After checking the fluid level, push the dipstick in securely.

AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
FLUID CHANGE CAPACITY: 2.8l (2.5 Imp qt, 3.0 US qt)

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone, so it seems that my tranny fluid is a clearish tan color almost like power steering fluid. The tranny goes into second upon babying it....(letting off gas for a second at 20mphr) It shifts pretty hard. I think im going to drain the fluid and get dextron 2 atf and fill her back up and see if that helps it. I hope the tranny is not toast. Anyways, I also own a toyota mr2 supercharged and im going to have to say after spending 1200$ in tokico's and eibach pro the prelude 3rd gen is smoother and safer feeling stock...why is that....they must have spent time on the suspension of these things. The prelude is fun to drive just like the MR2. I appreciate the friendliness of this forum...you guys rock!

·
Registered
481 Posts
Is it a 1st gen MR2? My kid has an 87 non supercharged. He swapped a blacktop 20 valve in it a few years ago. But he's always looking for a supercharged 1st gen.

Honda definitely spent some time when designing the suspension on the 3rd gen. I have added STB's and a rear whiteline swaybar, and it handles even better now. And I'm at stock height. I'd love to install a set of k-sport coil-overs some day, but I can't see spending the money on it right now.

I wish I knew more about the Honda auto transmissions, but I don't even know what color Honda ATF is supposed to be. Dexron II is red. I have no idea what kind of fluid you have from your description of the color. But if you plan to change to Dexron II, you may need to flush the old fluid out, not just drain and refill. Who knows if Dexron II and whatever you have are compatible with each other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, Yes an mk1 mr2, Currently i spent over 3500$ rebuilding complete and a turbo conversion, running 13psi on megasquirt with a nissan t25 turbo, pushing about 325hp to the wheels. I blew a hg because the machine shop did not torque the head bolts correctly. that's why i got the honda, the tranny i think is going out. that's sad because i fell in love with it the second drive....:( anyone got an auto tranny that works for sale?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts