Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, need a little help here.

Was driving home one night when I could feel the engine losing power and the lights were starting to dim, then the car finally died 2 blocks from my house. I figure its the alternator since boosting it had no effect, And was wondering how to get the alternator off, and or where i can find out what size my engine is. I've looked everywhere for the sticker (hood, door panels, engine block) and can't seem to find it. Any and all help would be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks

·
Lurkist
4,861 Posts
Per Wikipedia, your car has a 1.5 inline-4 making either 105 or 110 hp.

As far as removing the alternator goes, it's like any other car. Find the bolts that hold it on and remove them.

·
RACECAR
2,883 Posts
The 1986 Prelude came with either a 1.8 SOHC or a 2.0 SOHC. I believe the 2.0 SOHC came in the Si model. You will also have to figure out if your car is Fuel Injected or Carburated because they take different alternators.:)

·
Lurkist
4,861 Posts
The 1986 Prelude came with either a 1.8 SOHC or a 2.0 SOHC. I believe the 2.0 SOHC came in the Si model. You will also have to figure out if your car is Fuel Injected or Carburated because they take different alternators.:)
I believe danomite's info is correct.

The only wikipedia page that can be taken as truth is the Tag Heuer page.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a carborated engine. which i heard you have to take off from under the car, which usually requires a hoist or those with patience a jack and jack stand

·
RACECAR
2,883 Posts
I've never done one before on an '86 Carburated Prelude but I'm sure it isn't too hard. If you have a set of metric hand tools, you'll be able to get it done within a couple of hours if it's your first time. You won't need a hoist for this job. Just jack the car up enough where you can lay underneath comfortably and be sure to secure the car on at least 2 jack stands. Always better to be safe than dead.:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts