Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard alot of tuners discuss how honda engines prefer longer primaries, like in the HiTech header pics that you linked before, but just like that guy had problems with clearence mounts and etc, wouldn't placing longer primaries give you ground clearence, and mounting issues since the stock mounts and the stock primary lengths can only be extended so much without running into instalation woes?

And also, the location of the O2 sensor(s) would have to be moved as well, will this produce emissions issues? (I live in GA, and we don't have a dyno emissions test yet, but I thinks it's right around the corner.)

Since the Spoon system is considered a bolt on, will it avoid these issues? And since the diameter of the Spoon and the HiTech system is so much larger thatn the stock or other aftermarket headers, will a custon Cat with approximate matching diameters, and Cat-Back with approximate matching diameters be necessary and or helpful in power gains.

I'm too poor to afford it right now, but I will probably be doing an FI build on my engine for daily driving and an occasional autocross. So no internal upgrades changes treatments, or coatings.

G

·
Truthfully, custom stuff like that will usually have fitment problems unless the person has your car there to test fit while the part is being made. It's just to be expected.

If you did a 4 - 1 header on the Prelude, you would run into clearance problems. However, you can extend the primaries down as far as they will go, and merge them when needed.

The Prelude's header is long enough that relocating the O2 sensor shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if there are any emissions concerns. None of the custom headers I have seen are CARB approved.

The Spoon header is just the upper half. It uses the stock down pipe, so there are no issues with the cat or O2 sensor on the Spoon header.

My HiTech header will be made with a 2.5" collector, so the stock cat will not mate up to it. That's fine with me, as I will be running a full stainless 2.5" exhaust (no resonator, no cat, but a race muffler). Keep in mind that this car isn't going to be for street driving.

If you're going FI, and you decide to do a turbo, all of this is moot, as you don't use a header with a turbo. If you do S/C, again most of this is irrelevant as an S/C has different needs than NA. The Kamakazi header works very well with S/Cs and it has very short primaries. Also, it's a 4 - 1 design. Larry can modify it for use with a larger collector, which seems to work quite well.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Billy. When I said FI I meant JRSC, but like you said Turbos require a Turbo manifold instead of an intake, so if the Greddy option ever materializes, headers aren't even an option. I was also hoping on the odd chance that Vortec would build a centrifigal SC for the H22A. I know it take very long to spool up, but It still poses some linear characteristics that I prefer (based on the Civic Si SC).
Also, I thought that Spoon sold the downpipe for the headers seperately. But that they cost as much as the 1k priced complete systems when you purchase both, and that having a muffler shop custom fab downpipes would be cheaper, and just as effective?
What type of competition do you plan on doing in your car (Autocross:SOLO 1 SOLO 2, competition street, Drag, etc. . .)?

[This message has been edited by Paelude_again (edited April 19, 2001).]

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Paelude_again:
Thanks Billy. When I said FI I meant JRSC, but like you said Turbos require a Turbo manifold instead of an intake, so if the Greddy option ever materializes, headers aren't even an option. I was also hoping on the odd chance that Vortec would build a centrifigal SC for the H22A. I know it take very long to spool up, but It still poses some linear characteristics that I prefer (based on the Civic Si SC).
Also, I thought that Spoon sold the downpipe for the headers seperately. But that they cost as much as the 1k priced complete systems when you purchase both, and that having a muffler shop custom fab downpipes would be cheaper, and just as effective?
What type of competition do you plan on doing in your car (Autocross:SOLO 1 SOLO 2, competition street, Drag, etc. . .)?

</font>
With the amount of money I am putting into this car, it will be just a lapping car. I don't plan to do any wheel to wheel racing with it. I am too paranoid about it getting damaged. As far as competitive racing, I wouldn't mind buying an ITA CRX, ITS RX7, Formula Mazda, or even a Super Vee.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

1 - 4 of 4 Posts