Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
www.ntpog.org
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but no answers....

I bought some folding mirrors of eBay and this dood sent me the 5 wire relay. This is what he says...

Hi,
i just came back from a local junkyard a moment ago.
the owners and all the mechanics working there, as well as all my frens tell me,
all honda cars, uses the same relay, 5 wire.

they've never seenaa 7 wire relay coming out of a BB4,
they said,..even it it was a 7 wire..will be from a unit from a heater system mirror.
even the crv and inspire,..all share the same relay..only diff color wiring..tas it.

i suggest u try the 5 wire relay first..it should work.
u see all the wire/sockets from the power mirrors only have 5 wires.. also, the swithc..
it should not have 7 wires on the relays..
If this is the case, has anyone here wired it with the 5 wire? Why is there a 7th wire?....

And if anyone has a 7 wire and wants to trade with me for my 5 wire I am more than willing...

Or someone can help me wire the 5 wire...

·
Registered
69 Posts
what car did the 5 wire come from? cruise online to find out what each wire color is for and wire it up. I'm guessing the other two wires is a ground and a + for the heated mirrors to defrost or something. i'll be honest with yoru though, i've never dealt with power folding mirrors..

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
he's full of sh*t... all preludes came with the 7 wire relay. the 5 wire relay will work, but not properly (to prelude spec).

there are 2 wires that go to each mirror, so thats 4 total. one power, one ground and one signal for a grand total of 7 wires.

i just got mine working right after new years...

·
Old School
1,086 Posts
prelude2005 said:
I searched but no answers....

I bought some folding mirrors of eBay and this dood sent me the 5 wire relay. This is what he says...

If this is the case, has anyone here wired it with the 5 wire? Why is there a 7th wire?....

And if anyone has a 7 wire and wants to trade with me for my 5 wire I am more than willing...

Or someone can help me wire the 5 wire...
i think i helped a friend do this a bit ago, lemme look for the info...

EDIT: i remember now... info was pertaining to a 5g, but the 7 lead relay should be the same for both... the prelude has seperate left and right leads for the open and close operation of the mirrors, 2 of each... the 5 wire relay only has 1 open and one close lead... to make it work, you'll have to wire the left and right "open" leads to the same relay lead, and the left and right "close" leads to the same relay lead...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ok to get all this straight...That 5 wire relay is another relay that the integras use for their PF Mirrors.It will not work.The 7 wire relay is the only relay for our mirrors that will work.I have three sets of PF mirrors and have helped many with them too.Theres two wires for each mirror for the power, 1 is a constant,1 is for the switch (PW Button), and the last is a ground.

On the Switch with the PF button, you'd wire everything by color and you'll have an extra wire left.That is the Switch.Wire that to the relay. Then theres two for each mirror to the relay and the other two are that constant and ground which is self explainatory.

So dont believe him about that 5 wire.The first time i got my mirrors, it came with that relay.I sold it to an integra owner.Hope that helped

·
Old School
1,086 Posts
dark_rican said:
Ok to get all this straight...That 5 wire relay is another relay that the integras use for their PF Mirrors.It will not work.The 7 wire relay is the only relay for our mirrors that will work.
please explain why it won't work...

i've seen it work in a 5g, using the 5 lead relay because a 7 lead wasn't available... i'm almost positive the ONLY difference between the relays is that the 7 lead relay has an "open" signal and a "close" signal for each mirror, whereas the 5 lead only sees one mirror... it'll work...

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
merlindavis said:
please explain why it won't work...

i've seen it work in a 5g, using the 5 lead relay because a 7 lead wasn't available... i'm almost positive the ONLY difference between the relays is that the 7 lead relay has an "open" signal and a "close" signal for each mirror, whereas the 5 lead only sees one mirror... it'll work...
it will work, but a lot more wiring will ne to be done. thats why its best to get the 7 lead relay.

·
Old School
1,086 Posts
Lucke said:
it will work, but a lot more wiring will ne to be done. thats why its best to get the 7 lead relay.
the way i'm seeing it, it's just a matter of splicing the wires together at the relay... not too much extra work, imo... everything is already there, it's just a matter of making both sides go to the same place, rather than neighboring prongs...

·
Registered
63 Posts
also...The 5 wire was a way smaller realy.The wiring was alot thinner.Not as powerful.Its just good to have the right relay to begin with i think.Plus it might be different for the 5th gen as for the 4th.

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
actually here another info about the 5 wire relay. it will use the close/open motor for longer, which is why ppl who used the 5 wire relay will always hear a clicking sound when their mirrors open and close, it WILL WORK, but it can and might ruin the folding motor evetually.

i got my entire mirror set with door wires included, it came from a 92-93 lude. and i been dealing with alot of ppl mirror dont believe ppl when they say it a 5 wire is what all honda use, that is wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts