Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand the advantages to have 5spd off the line, but is the SS still comparably slow from a rolling start (10-20mph)?

Any feedback on this? I wanna go JRSC, but I'm not sure if its worth doing to a SS prelude....maybe I should go drive a 5spd and compare for myself. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

------------------

·
Registered
89 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't mod an SS, the performance just isn't there. It's not worth spending the money for a JRSC!!
my $.02

------------------
"I've already found the love of my life(lude), now I just need a girl"

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
My sister has a SS and i don't like how it takes off at all. I have a base and like it more..but we all have our preferences..do whatever you like..more power to you.

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I totally agree...take of in the SS sucks. However I'm wondeing if accel. at other speeds could be better than stick...with no shifting to do...never have to let off accel.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I dont really know. I wanted to do it or turbo it once i had enough money. You can make the SS take off better by putting it up a few thousand rpms in neutral, but thats only if you intend to do it once in awhile, cause its not exactly helping your tranny

For me tho, i dont race alot from the start if ever, so i do it when i need to get a better launch. I am sure it would help, just not as much as a manual would just cause the manual stock is a bit ahead. Modding an SS is fine as long as you are getting moderate low end and great high end, cause it does have fine high end stock, it just the take off. Anyways i am blabbing and this makes mostly no sense. enjoy.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I did that once (reving in neutral, and then dropping into drive), and my car didn't like it too much. I like the high end accel, especially dropping it into 3rd on Fwy.

What do 5spd gears go to (3rd, 4th, etc)? IE. 3rd in my auto goes to 100mph somewhat comfortably.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got an SS. I think the VERY STUPIDEST thing you can do with an SS or any auto is rev it in neutral and slide the shifter to drive. If thats how you guys are driving your SS's, no wonder so many of your trannys have screwed up.

With auto, you need to keep in mind that realistically, your chances of beating a comparable manual are slim if the driver of the manual is any good.

Anyways, for you SS guys, hold the brake with your left foot. Leave the car in auto. Rev the car to ~2500-3000. The car won't move.. don't worry. When it's time to go, let out the brake and hold the gas steady for a split second to let the tires catch, then mash it and pray.

Remember... f*ed up brakes cost nothing compared to f*ed up tranny. Don't use abuse the SS tranny, it's fragile.

-Rich

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Rich....I actually got excited for a sec, and tried this on my street, but the RPM's wouldn't go above 2k. Awwww... well. Maybe I'll do what everyone has suggested so far....get a stick shift!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 98DiamondWhite:
I got an SS. I think the VERY STUPIDEST </font>

"very stupidest" .. ... uhh yeah.

anyway, i agree with u. u SS guys be gentle with your SS tranny's. dont "drop" it to Drive like that...

i had an SS, sold it and bought a 5speed... consider it your best mod to a SS. hehe.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
the only high point on a 5spd VS an automatic is with 4 gears you have a longer ratio, so theoretically there will be a longer time in between shifts. So when he's makin two shifts, your still stretching yours out. Not sure if that makes sense

peace

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definatly makes sense...

What I do love about the SS is that after 2nd gear you can stay in vtech all the way through 4th (AEM CAI made this an easy thing to do).

·
Registered
977 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Orginally posted by streetweapon:
What do 5spd gears go to (3rd, 4th, etc)? IE. 3rd in my auto goes to 100mph somewhat comfortably.</font>
3rd-a little over 90, probably around 92-93
4th-I've been to 120 and still had a little room, so probably about 125.
5th-haven't had enough road to find out

G

·
itz not a good idea but if u still wanna do it,itz fine. if i had a SS i would go all show but then again thatz me...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Bah, shaddup jkoc, thats not helping anyone but yourself.
People usually have SS's cause they want to. At least they should.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jkoc:

i had an SS, sold it and bought a 5speed... consider it your best mod to a SS. hehe.
</font>

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
show is cool...but I'm addicted to speed.

You may ask why the prelude...element of surprise! Burnt many a 50k+ car because they had no idea what they were in for....+ I guess old dudes in my area don't really like to get crazy 2 lane action.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sigh. Wish more people were happy with the SS.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by streetweapon:
Thanks Rich....I actually got excited for a sec, and tried this on my street, but the RPM's wouldn't go above 2k. Awwww... well. Maybe I'll do what everyone has suggested so far....get a stick shift!</font>

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if I could just get that off the line speed...I'd love the SS.

A civic SI (fully tricked out) got me off the line for about half of 1st gear...once lude vtech kicked in I ate him up....but I would have loved to have him from the beginning

·
Registered
1,882 Posts

A civic SI (fully tricked out) got me off the line for about half of 1st gear...once lude vtech kicked in I ate him up....but I would have loved to have him from the beginning
</font>
true, vtech ownZ us aLL

·
Registered
702 Posts
You got AIM streetweapon?

</font>

1 - 20 of 39 Posts