Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster, but I really need some help concerning clarification on new rear speakers. I have an aftermarket deck, a Pioneer Deh-30001B, and i just bought new rear speakers from a circuit city closeout sale. They are Eclipse but I am not sure of the model name exaclty. Anyway, my friend does all the install work but I am trying really hard to learn. So my deck is in, is my AFBS already disabled because of that? When we install the rear speakers do we need to work around it? How would we go about doing it? I'd just really like some help from you experts. Thank you

·
Premium Member
557 Posts
You still have to bypass the AFBS if you plan to use the stock speaker wiring.

Look under your rear deck, next to the passenger side 6x9 speaker...there is a small black box with a wire harness plugged into it. You have to find the wires in that harness that come from the head unit and cut them, then connect them to your new 6x9s, bypassing the AFBS. At least, this is the ideal thing to do.

You could try using the AFBS with your new speakers, but it might not sound good. The AFBS is wired in mono to run 2 2ohm speakers. Bypassing it lets you run 2 4ohm speakers (typical for aftermarket speakers) in stereo.

If you have the Helms manual, you can find which wire is which...or do a google search...I'm too tired to dig up the website with the info.

Ugh, why did I type all this out? You obviously didn't search, there is plenty of info for you on this site. Just take the time to search for it.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I'd recommend just running new wire from your new deck to your new speakers under the carpet. Either along the sides or straight under the center console. The sides are probably easier. In either case you'll need to at least partially remove the rear seats, but that's easy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh, really? How do you remove partially the rear seats? And how do you run a new wire from front HU to rear speakers under the carpet? Do you have to remove the FRONT seat too in order to lift the carpet?

I almost purchased a new Sony HU for my 1999 Prelude and Crutchfield told me that I need to run separate speaker wires from the HU to the rear speakers for that Sony HU to work properly. I just don't understand why I need to do that. Can anybody explain this?

Can I use Sony HU with the stock rear speakers, or do I have to replace the stock speakers with the aftermarket ones in order for the new Sony HU to work properly? Any ideas?

Thanks.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you only use head unit power there is ZERO advantage to running new wires. Just use the factory wires. With an amp, it might matter, but not with head unit. You do NOT need to bypass the AFBS. Your head unit will work fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks, pakalolo. Well, the HU is on its way to my house. Should arrive in 3 days. I'll first try to run the new HU without bypassing the AFBS, and see if this will work. You can always cut the wires later if the new HU will not work with the AFBS still being present.

It is pretty confusing to read about those two schools of thought. One says to bypass the AFBS, and ther says you don't need to. I guess the best way is to plug in the new HU and see what will happen.

The Crutchfield's harness connects the new HU with the car's original wiring system. They will send the specific instructions on how to tap in into the original wiring system. Will be interesting to see what they have in mind when it comes to the receiver connection.

I'll post the results soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts