Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am getting a 5th gen prelude in the next couple months and am having a hard time figuring out the audio system that I a going to put in it. I have a question regarding the speaker wiring. So I understand there is a system that is supposed to make the speakers sound better. But I will have an aftermarket head unit, speakers, and amp. The main question is can I just use the output speaker wires from the audio box thing in the trunk and just solder onto them and connect those to my amp? Does the thing in the trunk only control the rear speakers and is there another one in the front? And I know some of you are going to say just run new wire but for now I'm just trying to make it easier. The amp is only going to be putting 75w to each comp set. So can I just install the rest of my amp and use the stock wires to power the speakers? Are all 4 speakers +/- all right there in the trunk? And I will just completely do away with this system and unplug and remove it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
You can use the stock wiring, but do a search on how-to bypass the AFBS or Acoustic Feed Back System. That is the "audio box" you were talking about in the trunk, installing any aftermarket speaker or deck will basically render the AFBS useless anyway. The only +/- in the trunk is for the two rear 6x9 speakers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the bypass. So where are the front speaker +/-? Are they only ran to the hu? Do I pretty much have to run new front speaker wires to my amp in the trunk? And I might as well run new rear speaker wire if that is the case.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably will end up just running new ones since I would have to anyway in the front. Is the speaker mounting depth on the front 6.5s small? I want to put a decent size driver in there. I understand some modification is required for the cutout and stuff.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
You have to cut out the plastic baskets on the from doors to install aftermarket speakers. Most also require a little additional modification to fit.

There really is no reason not to run new wire expect cost, but if you can't afford some wire you probably can't afford any of the other audio components either. The stock wire is a very small gauge, and you have to deal with the headache of the worthless AFBS system if you use the stock wires. If you run new wire from the amp to the speakers, you circumvent both problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have plenty of wire 14 gauge ofc stinger wire. I have been in the car audio game for a while but I just sold my sundown nightshades and saz 3500 to start saving for a prelude. Then once I get that I am going to put an fi btl 12 on 2500 and take my focal speaker amp and hopefully throw a focal comp set up front and some mid bass drivers in the rear. So I know everything I need to do. Just thought I could save some time. ButI know it is better to do it the right way anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts