Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought a 1999 Prelude, and as my first "mod" I have replaced the main headlights with a 4500k bulb (H1-55W).

Afterwards, I realized, when turning on those lights (Night time lights), the daytime running lights also turn on with them. the DRL are still yellow.

So, I took a look at the bulbs, and they look very different than the H1s I put in on the top.

I also noticed that the Headlight consists of 3 light bulbs, one that I replaced (at the very top/night time lights), one below it, and one to the side. (the one to the side im guessing is the DRL, as it lights up when i have DRL switched on)

My question is, what size/number are those DRLs? are they also H1s? and what is the other lightbulb below my nighttime lights?

Sorry if such question has been asked before, and thank you for your time!

·
Registered
92 Posts
2000 Honda Prelude Car Light Bulb Size Chart

Low Beam Headlamp Light Bulb Size: H1-55W
High Beam Headlight Bulb Size: H1-55W
Parking Light Bulb Size: 168
Front Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 7440
Rear Turn Signal Light Bulb Size: 7440
Tail Light Bulb Size: 168 or 7443
Stop Light Bulb Size: 7443
High Mount Stop Light Bulb Size: 7440
License Plate Light Bulb Size: 168
Back Up Light Bulb Size: 7440
Front Sidemarker Light Bulb Size: 168
Rear Side Marker Light Bulb Size: 168
Map Light Bulb Size: 168
Dome Light Bulb Size: 168
Step/Courtesy Light Bulb Size: DE3022
Trunk/Cargo Area Light Bulb Size: 168

The high beams and low beams use the same bulb, the day lights you speak of are 168s.

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
Ok. Let's fix this.

First, those are NOT Daytime Running Lights. Those are Parking Lights (aka City Lights, but only if you're stupid). The bulb is 168/194.

Second, don't ever say Nighttime Lights. They are simply headlights. You have low beams and high beams. The low beams are on top and the high beams are on bottom. Don't let that confuse you.

Third, you will only have DRLs if you do not have a USDM vehicle.

Fourth, use the Search button.

Fifth, read this:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. and sorry for me mislabeling the lights. i call them daytime running lights because the indicator on my car SPECIFICALLY says "DRL" when they are on.

thanks for clarifying that they are actually "parking lights", i have found that list of light sizes for prelude, but never knew they are parking lights (hence me asking on this forum).

thanks again for answering.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, yes im from canada.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a Canadian 99 Prelude and the previous owner put in HID's and now my DRL's don't work. The DRL light in my dash goes on unless I turn on my lowbeams. Anyway to fix this? It's more of a hazard then illegal for me.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not really sure why this was bumped xD

@andrew

did the previous owner replace the entire housing with those HID halo stuff you see on ebay, or was only the bulb/harness replaced? in other words, are your original DRL still there? just not turning on?

·
Registered
119 Posts
not really sure why this was bumped xD

@andrew

did the previous owner replace the entire housing with those HID halo stuff you see on ebay, or was only the bulb/harness replaced? in other words, are your original DRL still there? just not turning on?
They are original lamps and the DRL's are there. They just don't turn on.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maybe you should check to see if the previous owner unplugged them or not. although illegal to not have DRL in canada, some people still unplug them.

also, you say the DRL light in your dash turns off after you turn on your low beams. but have you actually got off the car and looked to see if the DRLs are on WITH the low beams? by default, the DRLs are on no matter what, even with the lowbeams on. (i actually stated that issue in the first post of this thread). if they still arent on, then its probably unplugged or busted somehow.

on a random note, the DRL light in your dash will be on until you release the handbreak. ;p

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
My Electrical Troubleshooting Manual includes DRLs for Canucks.

DRLs are also dependent on a few fuses. You might check those. Do not ask me which fuses. That's what the ETM is for.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts